• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Do swivels hurt isolations?

Login/Join to Participate

ColtonB
ColtonB

stranger
Total posts: 13
Posted:I have some Flowtoys and currently just have crystal cases on them (no Flowmasses).
My setup also has swivels near the handles, I was just wondering if the location of swivels with the weight of my flowtoys has anything to do with me not being able to isolate as well.
Where as when I am practicing with my homemade sock poi I can isolate very well.

"Wait so I can write anything here and people will see it."

thirteen
thirteen

The Death Card
Total posts: 195
Posted:any hardware will make isolations more difficult, yeah. I find that a lot of stuff is easier with sock poi though - I can spiral wrap like a champ with them, but not with flowtoys or chain poi.

if it helps, you can wrap up once so there is nothing but cord between your hand and the poi head. that makes some things much easier.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

ColtonB
ColtonB

stranger
Posted:Yeah wrapping up definitely helps, I also think that if I get handles that connect directly to swivels without a dlink inbetween it would make it a little easier and.

Btw I am the same way with spiral wraps, socks they flow around my hands so soft and smooth but with my flowtoys they wrap up and then flop around my hands or get tangled up

EDITED_BY: ColtonB (1322716883)

merku
stranger

Total posts: 7
Posted:Take Flowmass^^ in my opinion flowlights as crystal poi are way to light to play. But well i prefer heavy poi even for praticing.

ColtonB
ColtonB

stranger
Posted:yeah im for sure getting flowmass.

thirteen
thirteen

The Death Card
Total posts: 195
Posted:oh god spiral wraps. I can do them FLAWLESSLY, every time, with my sock poi. but put a pair of flowpoi in my hands and it's an entirely different story. I'm slowly getting better but it still boggles my mind how huge of a difference there is - it's not a small thing; it's night and day.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

ColtonB
ColtonB

stranger
Posted:Exactly.

beaniebob
casually noob tech poi spinrar
Total posts: 155
Posted:That seems weird to me, thirteen. I started out on glowsticks with shoelaces, and I can easily do spiral wraps and infinite spiral wraps (or nevisouls, don't know if there's an agreed upon name) with my flowlights, but my sock poi keep stretching and desynchronising just before I twist my hands to bounce the poi out again.

Back onto isolations, started learning them recently, and I feel that it's actually the way the sock poi stretch that make them more forgiving when I'm trying to isolate, in addition to them being quite a bit heavier than my crystal poi.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

yolanda8802
stranger

Total posts: 4
Posted:Hi Everyone,
It's great to see the forums back online! Since the establishment of the Forum since I have been its members really
looking forward to sharing and learning some more about my favorite things.
The site looks great and let me know if you need my help at all with forum moderation.

Sporky
Sporky

addict
Total posts: 663
Posted:Hi,

Personally, I find that the biggest thing that hurts isolations is weight, or rather lack of it. I've always found that the slower the spin speed, the easier it is to isolate with poi and as I use very heavy heads (even for fire) then my spin speed is just right for controling both head and hand position for isolations. Certainly wrapping the swivel out of the equation helps but it is more of a temporary fix and having big arm movements while performing them really gets the audience going

Hope this helps

Xander

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

iSp1nF1re
Alcoholic FlowMaster
Total posts: 17
Posted:i think the weight is your problem, not the swivels. plus, when you start spinning fire youre going to have swivels at the head and at the handle so. the only way to get better at iso's is practice and you gotta do it with swivels otherwise youll never get better. but yeah, i totally had the same problem when i first got flowtoys

Liquid and Fire is a beautifully breathtaking combination

jav2n
stranger

Total posts: 1
Posted:I have a pair of Flowlights with crystal cases and double flowmass. I can say that isolations are MUCH easier with double flowmass on the cases, regardless of hardware. Although the new flowleashes with floop handles are amazing.

And like many others are saying, I find weight to be the largest variable in regards to how easy isolations are with any one set of poi.

Good luck!

sdfsdf3DD
stranger

Total posts: 6
Posted:

This is what I'm interested in.Welcome to contace me.

lawliet
Total posts: 12
Posted:I used to find isolations much easier with my sock poi but now ive got a weighty set on cole cords and swivels near the finger loops its not too different. To me at least it definitly feels more like a weight thing. Heavy is alot easier!

Beginners do it until they can get it right, experts do it until they can't get it wrong.

XBL Gamertag: o Lawliet o

beaniebob
casually noob tech poi spinrar
Total posts: 155
Posted:Heavy is slower, and the isolation-feel is more obvious. Stretchy poi give you a little room for error because they stretch a bit before dragging the poi out of whack if your hand deviates a little too much from the shared poi/hand path.

Hardware is less important than just practicing your isolations though tongue2

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."