Forums > Social Chat > Play 2006 World Record - Largest Choreographed Firespin

Login/Join to Participate

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
So, many people have been asking me about the World Record Attempt at Play 2006.

Basically the reason it wasn't an official Guiness World Record was some beaurocratic crap:

a) One of the camera angles was wrong (wasn't quite far enough from the other camera)

b) One of the witnesses missed out a (very insignificant) field in their paperwork. GWR have a policy of not actually telling you about any such problems until 6 months later when they tell you your application has failed because of it. Goodness people are helpful these days!

For those who weren't there, it WAS choreographed, but because of problems with timing and actually communicating to a couple hundred people spread out in a field, the choreography got lost slightly. It was there though! Even Guiness agreed with that.

Anyway. The point is:

There were 201 spinners. The previous record was 174. Therefor WE BROKE THE RECORD whatever the sh*ts at Guiness may say. And as far as we're aware we still hold it.

Whaaaaaay!!!! Gold stars for us biggrin

Three years of my life that took. And I get; "... nice."

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I was going to suggest trying again at Bristol JC...

But then I realised how lazy Bristol is... ubblol

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
I dunno I'll talk to Mike more about it when I see him on Thursday, but I think if it were possible it would have been done... Definately plans of a re-do in the pipelines though, will keep you all informed smile

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
And (Ed - didn't see your post before I posted...) I think if it's gonna be done again then it would be good to do it properly i.e. certified by Guinness, a pain as it is, drawing on lessons learned from the first time round. And it takes a good few months of planning and paperwork before that can happen :/

I think we should think up some new (unofficial) records for Bristol... longest matrix propellers? (or, er, any matrix propellers...)

Any better suggestions?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
least juggling at a juggling convention? wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Best brew, bit of cake, and random chat in a field anywhere ever.

(Though with no moving finger this year...)

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Phil Reillystranger
2 posts

Posted:
G'Day world fire twirling community , my name is Phil Reilly and my sons Luke and Zak have been twirling for ten years. We have 8 different fire tools ,they have named themselves "Thooramunga" which is aboriginal for "fire sticks". Any way we are about to attempt a world record for a friend of mine who has a really sick boy (talintye.org)We meet this Monday night at dusk for the first time at The Como Hotel. We need as many experienced fire twirlers we can get . we will keep meeting until we are experienced enough to SMASH this record . The attempt will be made on Scylla Oval in Como , pending ,council permission