Forums > Other Toys > Lighting Foam on Fire? How?

Login/Join to Participate

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Hey peeps,

Ive had a bit of a look through and I cant find a thread on how to light foam on fire - more specifically what TYPE of foam to use.

I have tried shaving foam (Gilette) and Styling hair foam (Swarscof *sp) to no avail. I need to figure this out asap, what to use and if anyone knows the best brand in Australia (people have told me homebrand.. but of what?)

Then of course any tips on dispensing and lighting on your arm/body.

Thanks in advance hoppers! smile <3

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Well, I don't know too much about setting foam on fire, but I figure that shaving foam shouldn't be overly flammable just because it's mostly water, isn't it?

I know it's possible to set plastic foams on fire though, like expanded polystyrene, and the sort of foam you find in some cushions and cheap beds and gym mats. Not sure about how safe that really is though.

EDIT: Did a quick google search, found this link on polyurethane foam: https://www.pfa.org/flamm_state.html

EDITED_BY: beaniebob (1334754794)

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I have heard of a troupe somewhere in the states that bubbled propane through soapy water. This could then be put on the arm, ground, thing, etc, and be burned off. I am not saying this is safe as I have not seen it in person. The person who had told me about it brought it up when I mentioned seeing this clip of the show mythbusters.

Research this plenty if you decide to try it as there is a good possibly that it is probably unwise to do.

Peace, Love, Circles

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Then again kids are doing it in school...

Peace, Love, Circles

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Thanks Chris, that was actually really informative as to how this guy (from Facebook 'Fire Eating' group achieved this..

But alas my problem is still not solved.. I have tried even MORE brands of hair mousse and shaving foam (including 'Home Brand') and I still havent found one that is flammable yet.

The effect I am after is more like this; (minus the prank-ness)

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Ps. Woo I just realised you are Rovo. Rovo of awesome.

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Thanks beaniebob, i wonder how flammable it is? haha.. kinda worrying..

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

snappdragonEldar: the warrior who fights with fire.
3 posts

Posted:
what happens in the prank is the propellant that pushes the foam out of the can catches fire because they light it right after/as it's coming out of the can.

i would NOT use anything from the polystyrene family of chemicals, as they seem likely to take the 'melt to the skin while burning route'. A polyethylene or polypropylene foam could work Possibly, but i would do Extensive test burning on a flesh analog first- like scrap leather or something.

for the effect done at pre-heat: take the HS science class approach and build yourself a bubbler so you can fill soap bubbles with a flammable gas like propane or butane.