randyrhoadsSILVER Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
Hi i'm new at this. I've been practicing with some quick home made sock poi. I'm considering purchasing this. https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Medium-Cathedral-Ball-Chain-Fire-Poi

Is it a good beginner set? I'm not sure if I should get the single or double loop handle, any suggestions? With the socks I seem to hold them between the knuckles. If I got the single could I just fold it and use it like the double?

Also how long should I get the chain? I'm 5'11. With the socks I have to choke up on them to spin inside like when doing a buzzsaw so I don't hit myself in the face. Is that what you do with these too, or do you buy the length that allows you to do that while still holding the handle?

Thanks.

EDITED_BY: randyrhoads (1331178311)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I have the medium length Ball chain Cathedrals. they are nice, but I'm predominantly a juggler and staff spinner. I can use these for BTB weave etc so pretty functional, also as cathedrals I pretend they are softer than normal smile

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

AlexDGOLD Member
Elemental Spinner
30 posts

Posted:
I think that those and the 2" or 2.5" weka poi are great for begginers. I personally like single loop mostly because i find it easier to do many different tricks with many different grips. The chain should be about the length from the 2nd knuckle on your middle finger to about your armpit (subtract a couple inches for the wick).

"Thats what"
—She

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I use doouble loops but only use 1 loop to spin with. I need the second loop if I want to poiggle (juggle at the same time as poi)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.