agroventFarmer Poi
11 posts

Posted:
I just reccently bought my first pair of non-homemade poi, they´re put together with something close to 75mm stage balls, normal rope (though thinner than the ones i see from HoP) and handles that feel like styrofoam (texture) but are harder and slightly heavier.

i wanted to know if anyone with a comfortable pair of contact poi could weigh the stage balls and (px3?)handles in order to give me an idea of the weight ratio.
It might just be the fact that i´m coming from throw poi with a 2/1 ratio, but these handles feel *too* light...
i´m aiming for a nice hybrid between throw and contact, if that is possible. Any tips would be much appreciated!

thanks!

*Edit* i realize now the gaff i made in posting an exhausted topic in a new thread, but after searching a bit more on the forums i still havent found one thing- (and maybe this justifies the new thread, maybe not)
here we go;
all you contact poi aprentices and geniuses out there, do you believe adding weight to the handles of contact poi would take away from their ability to perform contact moves?
i´m not talking about something too heavy, maybe a 1/3 ratio or even less

i´m having a hard time deciding wether or not it is about personal taste- are there contact moves that could be made impossible?

i would love to do all of the juggling movements (wibbles too) along with contact, it would make for an extremely versitile toy..

EDITED_BY: agrovent (1326429252)

"...It's worth it, to get to spend my life doing what makes me happy and sharing something real with people, in the midst of all the falseness around."

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
So the heavier your handle gets, the more it pulls the center of gravity of the prop out of the ball. This introduces wobble, or in the case of extreme weightings like 1:3 or 1:2, the "wobble" can be extreme enough to actually leap off your arm instead of rolling. I have a pair that's 30g handles vs. 185g stage balls, and that's the heavier end of what I can stand for contact handles (though with some practice I found I could still wibble them even at that distribution). You can go on the heavier end, but it's going to mean needing much finer control, and generally shorter rolls.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

agroventFarmer Poi
11 posts

Posted:
thank you!! that´s exactly what i was looking for!

<3
<3

time to get to work...

"...It's worth it, to get to spend my life doing what makes me happy and sharing something real with people, in the midst of all the falseness around."

The FeatherSILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
So I'm thinking of investing in a set of flow leashes with their PX# knob handles and then attaching those to a set of 80mm pendulum poi heads from HOP. Anyone tried this before or know if this is a good idea?