Forums > Technical Discussion > New monkey fist variation? Egg Poi

Login/Join to Participate

The Poi RunnerBRONZE Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Yo! I've been browsing for some new fire poi and came about the "Egg Fire Poi" by Firemecca and PoiPoi. It's basically a monkey fist with few more wraps of rope around the side giving it a tipe of tubular shape (much like the mura/weka poi at HoP). Anyone use/used them? Would normal monkey fist poi be just as good? (A buddy uses monkey fists bought at HoP and they are bloody fantastic).
Thanks

The Links:
https://www.firemecca.com/p-944-egg-fire-poi-heads.aspx
AND
https://www.poipoi.info/Buy-Poi-from-the-Poi-Poi-Shop!/Fire-Toys/Fire-Poi/New-Page_4.htm

One cannot simply be good at poi

I do not do drugs, I am drugs - Salvador Dali

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:

Looks like nicely made gear. I’m a bit confused about the comment that they have “more fuel absorption”. My own understanding is that any dry woven wick shape will soak up fuel to 100% of it’s capacity if left for a short ime in bucket of fuel regardless of it shape.

Sure if you have a GIANT wick, maybe several meters across, it may take a bit more time while soaking for the fuel to travel into the centre, but anything able to be spun by someone smaller than King Kong should just absorb to it’s maximum capacity in a minute or so at the most.

That being said, they look like nice professional gear. Maybe almost appropriate to put on staffs???

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
i built an egg shaped monkey fist for my ropedart, it performs adequately but nothing out of the ordinary. i find the best heads to be either moonblaze, isis or a similar twisted wick design

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I'd think isis is the way forward if you want a long wick

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

The Poi RunnerBRONZE Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Yes to all... I think that these egg poi could become quite heavy after (and I quote) 8/9 min burn time. The braided wicks may be the way forward, but does the "new" shape of monkey fist, ie. egg poi, really change (quoting again) make for a more comfortable spin. oh, I think they mean more fuel is being soaked? or do they
Thanks for the replies so far

EDITED_BY: The Poi Runner (1330437237)

One cannot simply be good at poi

I do not do drugs, I am drugs - Salvador Dali