Forums > Other Toys > Fire Fans-Hands Blistering

Login/Join to Participate

thelisteningstranger
4 posts

Posted:
Hello!

I'm in need of some advice. I've recently started spinning fire fans and my hands are getting destroyed by blisters. They don't seem to be callusing either.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I could do to reduce the blistering or how to avoid them? The main issue is between my fingers.

Thank you!

"So what's the story? Forever, happily ever after, once upon a time...?"

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
What fuel are you using? If you're using white gas, switch to kerosene. Or wear Nomex gloves.

Question everything.

thelisteningstranger
4 posts

Posted:
I've not lit up yet, I'm just learning to get the hang of the fans and the metal is what's destroying them.

So nomex would be the way to go?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ouchie! Just a few more questions.

The blisters are mostly between your fingers? Is that along the length of the finger, where they touch each other if you were to make a fist.

Or mor at the base base of the fingers where they meet the palm (eg where your webbing would start if you were from Atlantis).

Also, try a bit of talculm powder wherever the blisters tend to start AFTER they've fully healed, in case it's a friction-based blister.

Photo's of both your blisters and the fans themselves and how you hold them, would be very useful, as there are so many factors that could be at play here...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

thelisteningstranger
4 posts

Posted:
It's up where the fingers meet. I'll post a picture when I'm home from work, but thanks! This advice is very helpful.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I suggest climbing tape. use a little round the base of your fingers as if wrapping for boxing or covering rings depending where the blisters are. you should maintain enough flexibility of movement but will reduce the skin friction and you can get varying widths down to the very narrow so you don't restrict your joints. The stuff always helped me from losing skin when i climb from friction slips.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Still waiting on pictures if could please upload them, Listening?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

thelisteningstranger
4 posts

Posted:
I've been ill. I'll get them up this afternoon. Sorry.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm not surprised if your hands have blisters all the time... Get well soon... bounce2

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

ThelemicPotterSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Stop spinning them wrong? Toughen up and wait for calluses to form? If you can't stop blistering, then fans are probably not the prop for you. Blisters are super sensitive to heat, and fans get pretty damn hot, in the wind, the flames can lick back over your hands, and if you have blisters already, you're in for some hurt.