Page:
Flow DNAGOLD Member
Destroyer of ceiling light fixtures
433 posts

Posted:
I'm surprised there isn't already a topic for this, or at least that I couldn't find one.

Anyways.
I, like many spinners out there, have been keeping my eye out for a decent, affordable set of pixel poi for a while now.

I stumbled upon these from a company called "moving-in-air":
moving in air led pixel poi
moving in air pixel poi video

Has anyone tried these? Are they any good? Will they break on me the first time I spin them? They are apparently programmable, so you can make your own images, which is kindof the whole point of pixel poi.

I also know that ultra poi has an orbit/pixel poi set available:
ultra orbit and pixel poi
ultra orbit and pixel poi video

They look smaller than the moving in air pixel poi, and they are not programmable as far as I know. They just have a bunch of preset patterns, but they look neat.
Has anyone tried these? How are they?

Any other options out there for pixel poi? I'd like to know about as many options as I can find.

Thanks

Ask me about flow, and prepare to listen for the rest of your life, or tell me to stop talking eventually...

Fakir spinerBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Hello if you want pixel poi, look this video

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PokeSephirothIt seems that the one on shiningpromo.ru sell their pixel poi at $495 a pair, shipping included. Hmmm... I might have to start saving up . .. =\
...or you could get a set of Hyperlights. They only have one pixel but they're fantastically bright ;-)

Cake or Death?

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
Oooh. Those "pixel pois" look awesome, besides the fact that they spelled the plural of "poi" wrong tongue2

Originally Posted By: *HyperLight...or you could get a set of Hyperlights. They only have one pixel but they're fantastically bright ;-)
I would also like to get some hyperlights at some point. Is there still a massive waiting list?

Ask me about flow, and prepare to listen for the rest of your life, or tell me to stop talking eventually...

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
There's no waiting list at all: https://www.hyperlight.co.uk/shop/
smile

Cake or Death?

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
Ooooh O_o

It's £300 though... I think I'm going to have to save up for a bit. I might be wanting to get 3 or 4 sets for our troupe.

Found another website that shows us some nice looking pixel poi and then tells us we can't buy them:
https://www.poiplay.com/index.html

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I would love Hyperlights. Just such a pity that they are *well* out of my price range at the moment. frown

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Jensquirrelstranger
3 posts

Posted:
wow i've never seen or heard of these, amazing! (im abit behind the times frown

Gary_CifersSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
Those are actually quite impressive! Club promoting spinners would definitely get a kick out of these!

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
Yes they would, but people need to sell them in an easily accessible way first... This thread is about finding the various sources to get them. As I said before, it seems like most of the sources are in Russia. This is not a bad thing though. I'm still thinking I want to save up and get some.

Fakir spinerBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Hi If you wont pixel pois Look at this A Technologies Pixel Pois smile https://www.facebook.com/ATechnologiespixelpoisandLEDequipmentforjugglers

Have Nice day

RenfriedPLATINUM Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I've met the guy making these: https://www.proton-labs.com/

Right now he just finished and started mass producing the hoops, but he is wanting to move into making staff and poi. The controller he's using for the hoops could easily make some pixel poi. There's talk of an android app to change the patterns remotely.

~ren~

Kosstranger
1 post

Posted:
Hello! Please have a check pixelpoi.ru and picturepoi.com

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
Sweet smile
Looks like we're getting some more options now

Michaeljohnstranger
3 posts

Posted:

They are apparently programmable,

fishscale77member
7 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone!

So I posted in this thread TWO YEARS ago about my efforts to build pixel poi, and my efforts have finally come to fruition.

here are pictures and videos of my pixel poi.

https://imgur.com/a/9PO77

I am filming a tutorial on how to make a pixel poi.
email me at daniel.schaeffer@yahoo.com

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
That's pretty cool man. How durable are they?

fishscale77member
7 posts

Posted:
they are very durable I throw them against concrete for hours at a time for tests. thanks.

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
sweet

OxxenonDIAMOND Member
3 posts

Posted:
By the way, Ignis Poi in comparison with Hyperlights are twice cheaper and 4 times brighter
(430 lm vs 100 lm on full brightness)

Non-Https Image Link

They're also mono-pixel poi
EDITED_BY: Oxxenon (1376914943)

Darenmember
1 post

Posted:
any info for options on pixel staff available ?

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
There are a few pixel staffs:

A1 pixel toys
https://www.apixeltoys.com/p/161/a1-staff

Ignis do pixel double-staffs
https://www.ignis-shop.ru/collection/LED-Staves/product/pikselnyy-dablstaff-ignis-pixel-48

Pryoterra Visual Poi can also have a staff module attached:
https://lighttoys.pyroterra.cz/category/visual-poi-staff/

There are others.

DrednorztBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Resuscitating this discussion again.

I just bought some programmable poi (32x64 pixels) from https://www.picturepoi.com/

I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the drivers to connect them to the pc but I've had a few issues along the way thus far and the peeps over in Russia are fantastic to deal with, and have helped me resolve things pretty quickly.

This topic so far has been super handy for me so I'll post again once I've got them going properly and let you fellers know how they go.

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
Sweet. Thanks Dred smile

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
Ignis has a 160 LED pixel poi available. Thought I'd just add it here:
https://www.ignis-shop.ru/collection/frontpage/product/ignis-pixel-poi-160-hd?lang=en

Anything else we've left out?

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
by the way. Feed the Fish are apparently planning on selling their version of Pixel-Poi(TM) later this year.

Feed the fish are the people who first invented pixel-poi, and even trademarked it. So I guess we're not allowed to call anything else "pixel-poi". Oh well.

https://www.pixel-poi.com/pixel-poi/

timme87member
2 posts

Posted:
Hello, this is my first post here.

I have been toiling away on my own version of what you are calling a "pixel poi". I have two versions that are almost ready for production. Im planning on making a kickstarter soon, but there are still a few more details to work out.

I came across this thread while doing some "market research" and made an account right away to talk to you guys. This forum has 200k members, and here is an open thread asking for the exact thing Im trying to make! I have many questions for you...

First, specs.

There is an 8-pixel and 16-pixel version.
I have tried a few different LED suppliers but Im probably going to settle on something that's rated for a few thousand milicandella per color, per light.

8-px:
* 12-bit color
* can store exactly 15 full color images, 15 single color images, of up to 127 and 63 lines respectively

16px:
* 24-bit color
* can store 256 images, no line maximum, 2MB storage limit (thats about 256 images of 128 lines)

both:
* can display text using built-in font
* various built-in color modes, rainbow, solid color, one where you can set the color of each pixel statically, etc.
* brightness setting
* automatically changes images on a timer, timer period is a setting
* USB-mini port for charging and communication
* complete control possible over USB, serial command list will be available, can directly read and write image memory in hex if you are some kind of hacker
* will provide some simple image programming software for the PC (haven't written yet, currently using Matlab)
* position sensor can detect the motion of your swings, allows image scaling, stabilization, and triggering with no external parts
* magnet sensor allows device to be attached to a bicycle wheel, with external magnet ("bicycle pov")
* approx 8 inches long
* 1/8" wall 1" OD polycarbonate tube has so far survived all attempts to smash it, I hope to drive a car over it at some point for a promotional video
* approx 1400mAh lithium battery (depends on supplier)
* end caps will probably come from shapeways and be in one of the available materials. perhaps vinyl
* the plan is to have the firmware programming port exposed so firmware updates could be provided somehow.
* electrical schematic will be available
* thinking about making the firmware open source as well.

Target price is $100 for the 8-px one and $150 for 16-px. The price difference is not arbitrary, the 16-px version has a completely different LED driver setup, more PCB layers, more memory, and produces much smoother looking colors. Its basically the "mark 2" version of the concept. but both versions are pretty good IMO.

Now some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/3fSCO

That's the 8-px one. You can see the dithering effect in the colors. Also, I didn't over-saturate the colors in Photoshop like they do in every other promotional photo of light-up poi :P. There are no pictures of the 16-px one in action yet. (I need to wait for someone who can manually focus their expensive camera at me and set the correct exposure... )

Now some questions:
1) Are you excited about this / would you want one, in theory?
2) How does this device compare to other things in its price bracket?
3) Do you think at least 100 people would actually buy one this summer? (this is my kickstarter market research survey btw)
4) I notice a lot of these things have rubber "socks" on them. This thing is basically a nunchuck, which is a deadly weapon, and that does concern me. Do they sell generic sock type things I can slap on? The setup cost for silicone rubber injection molding is pretty high. Like, $2000, minimum. This would increase the minimum kickstarter volume.
5) Questions?
6) Feature requests? Im not really in tune with what people want on these things, Im just an engineer.
7) It needs a name still. I have jokingly been calling it the "image stick"...

wandadlmember
1 post

Posted:
Hi i'm new here :)
i'm wanda, performer form France, interested about poi for months and time is coming to buy the very first one! :)
i have seen many websites, read your subject, see the differences, programming ones or not
but to be honest for the moment i dont want to spend thousands on euros for one

could you recommand me a website you already tested where i could find one around 250€ max (not a nunchaku but a pair)

and i have found this on Aliexpress, i know it's a "made in china" product...but is is it someone that already tested this one ?

: https://fr.aliexpress.com/store/product/L...rig=true#extend

thank you !!

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
Hi Wanda,

I think for your first pair of poi, you don't want pixel poi. Rather don't do the "made in china" thing, because your poi will most likely break super quick

If you want nice playable LED poi, I'd recommend podpoi. https://www.homeofpoi.com/us/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-PodPoi-with-MicroUSB-cords
They're just the most comfortable to play with, and durable, and they're also very pretty.

Also look into getting or making some sock poi. Sock poi with beanbag weights are the best for practicing

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
Oh and hi timme87

answers:
1) Are you excited about this / would you want one, in theory?
Yes

2) How does this device compare to other things in its price bracket?
Is that price for one stick or a pair? It looks like a pretty good price. As long as they are durable. Comfort is important too. You will need to get spinners to test them.

3) Do you think at least 100 people would actually buy one this summer? (this is my kickstarter market research survey btw)
yes... well... some summer... The key to a successful kickstarter campaign is an epic video, and clever writing.

4) I notice a lot of these things have rubber "socks" on them. This thing is basically a nunchuck, which is a deadly weapon, and that does concern me. Do they sell generic sock type things I can slap on? The setup cost for silicone rubber injection molding is pretty high. Like, $2000, minimum. This would increase the minimum kickstarter volume.
The key factor will be durability. Make it so you can smash it against a wall, and you'll have a product worth buying. Padding is a good way to to help with that.

pass on the rest...

5) Questions?
6) Feature requests? Im not really in tune with what people want on these things, Im just an engineer.
7) It needs a name still. I have jokingly been calling it the "image stick"...

gooseywooSILVER Member
1 post

Posted:
https://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201399052942&alt=web

Cheap cheap cheap but very possibly total shite. .....

Cannot afford the gamble frown

Page: