Forums > Other Toys > The HoP Card Manipulators Thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i hope i'm not the only one on here.
a thread for anyone one who knows what a backpalm, a sybil cut, or a thumb is!

i'm more of a modern card manipulator, that is to say i'm more into 10packet cuts than i am into split fan productions. this can be seen as a much easier approach to card work (and that's probably true) but it is the way forward.

so.... anyone else?? (worth a shot ey, Ed?)

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
nice wink I only have 1 coin trick, it's not something I'm particularly good at.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Just started learning card manipulation, mostly flourishes cuts & one handed shuffles so far but I'll probably move onto some sleight of hand tricks although they look like they take a long time to learn before they're convincing

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
I know this is an old thread, but I want to know who is currently still working on XCM or Extreme Card Manipulation.

I agree with much that has been said in this thread but I'd like to add with the new talents that have emerged and the superhandz community getting bigger, what can flow and fire artists add?

De'vo has some pretty wicked fire tricks with cards now. Does any one else?

Dan and Dave Buck, have opened up the door for some wicked new things. Any one else working on stuff by them?

Does any one at HOP have a clean King Cobra Cut?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Right Starting into the coin magic now, i realised i can practice without needing to carry props around I have everything I need on me and I can practice the flourishes whilst watchiing telly. 2 handed knuckle rolls down! thanks to the first few seasons of stargat SG1 back to back over Xmas.

Now to go through Sankeys introduction to coin magic. Any recommendations for good teachers of Coin magic let me know.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Shadowless Tyger - How about card juggling. 1 deck in each hand, Flick a card so it circles round and catch it in the other deck on the other side repeat with opposite side and you can have a groovy constant flow of cards from side to side. I'm not there but it's an idea.

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
I like the idea, the only way I can think of doing it is with the 'long distance spinner' with half a deck in each hand. Testing it out now.

Okay that is a bit too difficult, I'll try to get a 3-card cascade clean first.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
lol I can do with 1 hand but my left is aweful, perhaps a shower always going one way.

I know someone who passes the deck behind the back to flick so it leaves from the left to arrive on the right.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Mynci: Apparently the stuff put out by the New York Coin guys (David Roth, Mike Gallo and Mike Rubintein) is really good, magic-wise. There is also a *lot* of it. (16 volumes of DVDs, which are about 4 DVDs each I think. Something stupid like that.) See here: https://www.newyorkcoinmagic.net/

Also worth looking into is Marion Boykin and Vinny Marini. Their stuff is here: https://www.vinnymarini.com/
and they have a good rep on providing additional help, if you need it. Most of MB's stuff is gaffless, which I at least like.

Otherwise, the Magic Café is a good resource in general.

I view coins as really abstract juggling though. tongue2
EDITED_BY: aston (1328453360)
EDIT_REASON: Links

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Thansk Aston.

I'm mixiing it up a ittle at the moment. trying to keep a coin palmed all day at work whilst doing other things and practicing cards in the evening. spent all weekend practicing my thumb fan and started to get it nice and smooth now.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
*The* standard coin reference is Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic. (Modern Coin Magic is a slightly shorter book, but still good.)

Are you doing flourishes and such? Any resources you can recommend? (Why am I even considering another hobby‽)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
i am aiming to improve my coin and deck dexterity yes but also looking to try and learn a trick between each one.

I have the overhand shuffle controls, false cuts etc, Thumb fan, double coin roll (down the knuckles) a quite good variety for the ambitious card routine mixing it up with shuffles and even popping the card back out after going and doing another trick, which was pretty hard but I'm sure a more practiced magician could do it no problem using a much simpler method.

I have only have bobo's modern coin magic, the shame of it is many "gentlemen" today don't wear ties out and about or handkercheifs and I certainly don't wear trousers with turn ups so a few of the tricks need to be modified for current fashions.

I'm also working through royal road to card magic which is pretty good. I'm trying to do what it says and not rush and master a chapter at a time, luckily I already have some of the techniques so I don't need as much practice. I was a bit disappointed on the colour change chapter as I already know several changes which to my mind are a bit more useable but I will still attempt to master those.

The good thing about coins and cards is a lot of it you can do whilst sitting watching TV or reading a book if cold and raining outside, because the aim is to NOT look at what you're doing smile so it's almost like making the most of down time rather than finding more time to do something else. Of course I'm old (as you've mentioned before laugh3 ) so I need to find things that won't rip my back apart like contact staff can wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
oh I also joined a forum (magic bunny) they can be quite helpful on there it's not too large but has a lot of reviews and easy to find sources for beginners. most agree with bobo and royal road but people throw in what they found useful depending on if you want to learn coins, cards, kids magic or mentalism.

I really want one of these

meant to be OK for beginners too to give a great vanish from reveiws I've read (even with a puff of smoke lol)
however i want to learn proper sleights so I don't need to rely on gimmicks. i want to be able to do good things with a borrowed deck or coin.
EDITED_BY: Mynci (1328861033)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Exactly my view as well. smile

Royal Road does sound like the gold standard for cards, but I have not really looked into them.

The sleights in Bobo are solid though, even if you have to modify them some. Coin through pocket is fun. There are also a bunch of other, newer references that are apparently very good, and include some things that were developed after Bobo.

I have heard good things about Richard Kaufman's coin book from the 90s, but have not seen a copy as yet.

I am less interested in card magic, but the flourishes look like interesting exercises.

Thanks for piquing my interest again, I shall have to dig out my coins. (Current South African coins are actually a too small for me to work with easily at this stage, sadly. So I may not get the "borrowed coin" ability for a while.)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I know how you feel, although a 2p coin here is a little smaller than a US half dollar and the £2 coin a little larger so I at least have suitable equivalents which work well with the coin change I can turn a copper into gold! lol.

I have just got royal road on DVD as well to help with cards and finally succumbed to the Dragon. Bought it this morning and I will give a little review when I've had a chance to play and get used to it it's only £25 so I can probably afford it.

I struggle with the coin flourishes other than the knuckle rolls. My hand shape just seems more suited to cards having a much longer 3rd finger than my little finger so to roll out the coins between each is quite trickyas my little finger finishes before the knuckle of the top phalanx of my ring finger so struggles to reach across to my middle finger.

I do have a health supply of Half Dollar coins though. I had a friend come over and bring me $10 worth and swapped them for a $20 bill so saved on postage, exchange rate and profit from buying them online smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Does anyone on here have any good suggestions for helpful material to perfect the Diagonal palm shift? It's a move I think will be very useful for some other effects I am trying to learn.

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Another good forum to join is the magic cafe, www.themagiccafe.com

heaps of good stuff there

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I would but they have no obvious link to register frown

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
they aren't taking new members at the moment. I'll try magic bunny.

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
That's bit naff, I hadn't realised that they had stopped taking new members frown

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I know I looked on the how to register and it was still saying to click the link at the top of the page (which wasn't there) I found a nother buried link which came up with the message not taking new members frown

not to worry I have found the resourses I need for the DPS. I'm looking for good technique for card to wallet without using a giant unrealistic no palm wallet. I just got the JOL Billfold wallet and want to make sure I can use it well.

Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Is there anyone around who's doing card manipulation anymore? I've not really touched it for a few years but am getting back into now.

Page: