LadyMarieBRONZE Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
Hey peoples, need some help/advice! I need to invest in a new pair of fire fans as my current pair (Firetoys' Delta) aren't really up to scratch. I've mastered the basic moves/style but they're really hard to hold and almost impossible to spin.

The Lotus style ones on the HoP shop look beautiful and also have a small ring for spinnng.

fans_lotus-fan-frame-wicked-25

However, lots of other performers (and Seastar on the tutorial vids) use the same sort of style. You probably know the ones I mean:

Non-Https Image Link

I have seen plenty of variations of these, usually the only different is the rings used to hold/spin. So yes, I guess what I'm asking is how easy the Lotus fans are to hold/spin. Or is the design Iposted the best and most popular for a reason? smile

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
Personally I like the Lotus Fans Better.
The wider ~180 degree spread allows stops to feel right and make sure I always know the fans are exactly opposite.
I still drop my fans, frequently. The webbed fans only have the one wire support and I tend to bend the first and last wick inwards with almost ever drop. The HOP finger fans, one wick already feels like it will break off.
I'm guessing a lot of people go with the webbed fans, because they are cheaper and easier to grip. I like the centered ring because I know when the fan is directly pointed in one direction.
The ones with two finger rings, or offset finger rings have always made my patterns lop-sided. Not 100% sure why.
Also the lotus fans are big and heavy. Great for performances, but scary when you light them and do inside arm moves.
Just my 2 cents.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The reason that the latter are more popular is likely because they are simpler to make.

Do not do fans, so can not help with the rest, but that may account for some of it.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LadyMarieBRONZE Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
Yeah they look more suitable for the kind of performances I was thinking smile Just wanted to make sure they were useable.

They were 25% off so I just bought a pair cheaper than the standard web ones. So I'm a happy Marie. Thanks for your advice smile