Forums > Social Discussion > Increase your IQ with Poi?

Login/Join to Participate

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Didn't they use juggling to prove that the brain can grow like any other well-used bit of you?

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
In fact, here we go:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17957-learning-to-juggle-grows-brain-networks-for-good.html

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Mr Majestikcoming to a country near you
45 posts

Posted:
laugh3

I'm not sure about this Malcolm, but what I think is that psychical
and physical exercise is vital in life and if it can be achieved
by spinning than go for it !

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Malcolm,

I agree that spinning Poi increases your IQ. I also think that the person who takes up poi, clubs, staff, wands, juggling etc already shows an increased IQ.

Cheers smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Tu Wahinenewbie
39 posts

Posted:
Poi works especially well for practical learners (hands on learners) more than theoretical learners (book based learners) hence why videos for instruction are so popular.

Nui atu te mihi ki nga mahi o te po, nga waiata, nga poi, me nga haka taparahi.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I think they showed grey matter was increased whilst learning ambidextrous skills but growth slows and stops once learning stops. therefore once you start you need to do it forever to reap the benefits.

May be proved as a good relaxation technique for exam stress wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
LOL @ Mynci.

Imagines a stressed student in an exam pulling some sock poi out of their bag and spinning for a minute between questions...

weavesmiley

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MatParrottstranger
2 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't particularly say it could increase your IQ as the IQ doesn't tend to include kinaesthetics. However, it could increase your kinaesthetic aspect in Howard Gardner's (1983) multiple intelligences, which are separate and have skant evidence for any correlation with any of their partner factors.

I wouldn't worry about IQ though, it's a waste of time notion of intelligence.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I could also say that hitting yourself hard enough between the legs may make you less prone to concentrate on whats down there and to think with your big brain wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

ChronosHow is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
20 posts

Posted:
If you're a man, spinning poi may increase your IQ, but may also decrease your sperm count... depending how many time you whack yourself in the crotch! laugh3

ChronosHow is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
20 posts

Posted:
... I really should have read the last comment before typing that

DianeTstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Spinning has increased my hand-eye co-ordination even after only a couple days.

Has anyone seen any improvement on visuals... like peripheral vision and stuff like that?

Just curious.

Writers don't get mad, they plan your demise in a storyline.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I had a therapist say this much to me about such activities many years ago. Poi is definitely preferable to someone shrinklike moving a finger from side to side...

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
I think it's true. When spinning, both left and right hemispheres of the brain are being used simultaneously and as Malcomb said, that encourages the creation of new connections. This strengthens the Corpus Callosum. The size of the CC is linked to IQ.

Here's an interesting fact. The CC of left handed people is on average, 11% larger thn right handers. Possibly because leftys integrate the use of both left and right hands into daily life more than right handed people.

And DianeT, I too have noticed a great improvement in hand-eye coordination since starting with poi. Along with greater sensitivity and awareness in my peripheral vision.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

DianeTstranger
16 posts

Posted:
Lone Wolf,

I have a wide range of peripheral vision, which used to be kind of useless. But since I began spinning, the "thing out of the corner of my eye" bit has been improving. Saved me from all manner of Icky things.. such as spider webs, flying wood chips from the tree trimmer, and the ability to escape the rain before it hits. grin grin grin

Writers don't get mad, they plan your demise in a storyline.