Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Learning the Hoops{definetly a beginner}

Login/Join to Participate

ohfillypoiAll I need in this life of sin, is me and glowsticks!
9 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'm currently using shoe lace I believe a 32in or 36in on a regular glowstick. I have trouble learning how to wrap the shoe lace around my finger, or I don't know what finger to wrap it around really! I've been basically just spinning them in circles frantically, and they unravel off my hand. I'm so thankful to God I found this site because I really enjoy this art and/or hobby. It's open me up alot since I've started and sad because I've seen people soooo good at this and got discouraged for a minute. So, does anyone know what the hoops are for? And how do I attach this to a regular glowstick? Do hoops help with the spinning and moves better? Right now for me, it all about learning the hoops....HELP!! lol

All I need in this life of sin, is me and my glowsticks!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hoops?

You can tie knots for handles, or tie a loop (a bowline will work well) in the string if you want a bit more security. It does not really matter which finger you loop it on. I have the tether passing up between thumb and forefinger.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I have no idea what you're talking about, honestly. I thought you were talking about hula hoops at first.

By the way, if it's poi you're trying to learn, you should probably have two glow sticks. tongue2 Also, I think 32 or 36 inches is way too long for a string. Go shorter.

Question everything.

9 posts

Posted:
can u happen to upload a picture of what you mean? Or direstions? I have the slightest clue what tether is...

9 posts

Posted:
no not hula hoops. Regular glowsticks with a shoelace. I don't know how to tie em around my hand to get a better grip and I thought the hoops they have for sale on here could connect somehow with the shoe lace to get the spinning process smoother. So you have any ideas?

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
If you just want something to practice with, I'd say get two knee high socks and put a tennis ball into each of them. Honestly, I don't really like spinning regular glow sticks because they're too light. Flow lights are good because you can get cases and flow mass to weigh them down, but I hate regular glow sticks for spinning.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Simple-Sock-Poi-3_50_189

https://www.flowtoys.com/
for LED poi.

Question everything.

9 posts

Posted:
Thanks for recommending the flowtoy site. A lot better to get those then constantly purchasing glowsticks that last a couple hours or left in the freezer only about 2-3 days. Thanks so much!

9 posts

Posted:
Well thanks for the advice. i haven't seen any videos on here on gripping the lace or tieing. There's so many videos it's overwhelming! And what are grips? You mentioned HOP sells grips for poi moves. Never heard of that. Thanks!

9 posts

Posted:
I tried putting the lace the way you described but where does the back lace go?

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Tether = leash/cord/string.

So one way (of a lot of possible ways) to do it is:
* to tie a non-slipping loop (like a bowline).
* Hold your hand out with your palm facing the floor.
* Put the loop over your middle finger, so the poi-head hangs straight down.
* Rotate your hand 90°, so your palm faces the same side of your body as the arm (so your palm is to the right on your right hand, left on your left). This should cause the cord to hang from your middle finger across your palm to the thumb-side.
* Pinch it between your thumb and forefinger and you are set.

Searching on youtube for AlienJon and poi grips will get you some more options, since he did a very good video on it a while ago.

9 posts

Posted:
okay this helped. I just slipped the glowstick w the rest of the right through the fore finger and middle finger and now it doesn't slip off. And I can move my wrist better without the lace coming undone. Now, what is the tape for? I notice some folks put tape around the fingers. Is this to protect the fingers from getting hit?

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Likely to prevent blisters due to the friction of the cord rubbing. Depending on the cord, it may also be quite sharp, and cut into your fingers some.

Unless it is padded, it will not really help minimise pain when getting hit though.

lanshan75stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I have been annoyed by this problem for a long time,so thank you for your post, it is really useful for me.

RuzeBRONZE Member
stranger
18 posts

Posted:
I also started out with glowsticks and shoestrings. how i held them at first was: Right hand, put up a peace sign, with your palm(if you hand was open) facing the left, put the shoestring loop around your index and middle finger with them both apart to make peace, have the glowstick dangling on the same side as your palm, bring the glowstick up and over to the other side of your hand with the loop still around your fingers but have the string go between your fingers instead of around when u put it on the back side of your hand, the close fist.

Later i went to a craft store and started using small beads and large beads on the string as a handle because i started doing tosses. But i still held the string in between my index and ring finger.

If you'd like i will upload a video and send you the link.

I hope you found what you're looking for
EDITED_BY: Ruze (1345011267)

jacktimomember
6 posts

Posted:
It does not really matter which finger you loop it on. I have the tether passing up between thumb and forefinger.