Forums > Other Toys > The HoP Card Manipulators Thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i hope i'm not the only one on here.
a thread for anyone one who knows what a backpalm, a sybil cut, or a thumb is!

i'm more of a modern card manipulator, that is to say i'm more into 10packet cuts than i am into split fan productions. this can be seen as a much easier approach to card work (and that's probably true) but it is the way forward.

so.... anyone else?? (worth a shot ey, Ed?)

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
yeh, i do it now and then, but it usually gets the whole 'have you seen this guy, david blane.. do you know how he does this trick where etc.." tongue

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i just go "choff David Blaine, that "stuntman","
he is to magic what chriss bliss is to juggling, kind of.

trying to put together a few 2 or 3 minute routines for the gig on friday. not going so well so far. beyond running ACRs then a few Sandwich effects. or moving onto a style of mentalism based pretty solely on forces. i dunno, i just need to string some things together properly

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey, i rekon thats a pretty good analogy. i used to think blanes style of magic was kinda cool and original. more recently, ive started to think he was just a lazy street magician. that may just be me looking from too circussy a point of view though.

mmm, i should really put a routine together, at the moment, whenever i get a gig it seems to be me doing a random selection of tricks, repeated for each group of people i get, so i cant help but think one day ill be asked to do a longer, single routine for a larger group of people. i should really keep practicing this one trick by ortiz, i forget the name. basically, nine cards are selected and signed, put in the deck, shuffled, and found one at a time. it would be a great finale to a routine i think.

on a random tangent, whats your views on gaff cards and the place they play in performing. nothing specific, just in general, gaff decks, gaff packet tricks, or just the use of a single gaff card in a normal deck.

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
it depends really. i used to really hate the use of gimmicks and only concentrate on magic i could do with a deck of cards i could have borrowed from someone. but gimmicks have their place, i now carry round an Invisible Deck, there's some wonderuss stuff can be done with that. sometime i have a Chameleon Deck. and i seem to carry a one way deck all the time, which makes for a good ACR, force stranger card from a one way deck and dont have them sign it, then do a few of your ACR moves, then say "but of course, all the cards are just the same card, but in this case they're all [a different card]" and spread them face up (having got rid of the stranger obviously)

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

Ashley WoodSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
Gaff cards can be so good in the right situation

I used to be the same and hate gimmicks but after seein some of the reactions a gaff card can get on its own is awesum

add sum presentation and it can be golden

I too have the same problem routining it always seems to be random tricks frown need some nice flow of tricks

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
the gig last night went quite well. basically just performed the same 3 or 4 tricks on a bundle of people. we had a little competition going to see how many times you could get a classic for in, or a countdown force. i lost!

it's nice how much mentalism there is to be done without the fuss of actually becoming a mentalist.

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
the first step in the routine in my dreams
https://media.putfile.com/MCJ

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Hey guys... What all can you do with a Svengali card deck?

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i've been thinking quite laterally recently
https://media.putfile.com/TKP

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Twiggy

Learnt pretty much all my stuff from The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes

Anyone else got this? I'm interested in the DVDs... smile

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
can't say i've seen it but from the website i can't say i'd buy it. what is it you want to be learning?

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I've been recommended to royal road to card magic, been finding "strange traveller" one of david blaines tricks seems to get people confused quite well wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Hi there people

Its not card Manipulation as such. I need some advice on card magic - well im not gonna be using cards but same technique me thinx.
You know the trick where a card is chosen by audience. They then open seasled envelope and find same card in there.
I presume there is some switch of envelope card to picked card.
I want to ask audience member for a colour, then 'magically' appear that colour from the envelope.
HOW?
Thanks in advane
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
well asking for ANY colour will make this a little harder, unless you're just going to pass Green off as Forrest green or something. if you gave people a choice of a few colours it wouldn't be too hard.
you could have multiple envelopes and switch to the one you need, or have an envelope with multiple colours in it and just not show the rest. a bundle of ways. i imagine the easiest way would be to have a preselected (by yourself) colour in said envelope and then force someone to pick the same one, possibly from a selection of coloured cards
(that'd be the way i'd do it, probably because it's the easiest way)

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
No im gonna ask someone what their favourite colour is and then appear it from an envelope. I had thought about having multiple envelopes but there would have to be too many.
I was also thinking about getting them to write it down fold it and then magic that from the envelope?
What you rekon how do I do?

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
if you get someone to write it down and fold it up then you could "predict" what colour they've picked using the age old center tear method.
as for having them call one out and then remove that from an envelope. Marc Oberon has a couple of effects on the market that utilise exactly that principal, but will probably end up being rather expensice to buy and then adapt.

as a side note, i taught Mr Oberon (magician of the year) how to do a bit of contact juggling. just thought i'd throw that in there.

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
biggrin just learnt the erdnase colour change and have it quite smooth biggrin my biddle trick is coming on too biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
oooooo a card thread biggrin

anybody been doing any stacking? i got this:book thanx to sym and its wicked. ive already built a temple biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
stacking the deck means something very different to me!!
let's see that Erdnase then Mynci! I still say you can't go far wrong with a good old classic change!

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
indeed wink I learn the ambitious card yesterday with a couple of nice variations I seem to be learning the simple tricks at a rate of 1 a day biggrin I'll do a video and post it up wink

and a new deck on it's way to me biggrin red bicycle gaff

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
don't tell me you bought that god-awful £20 gaff deck? ellusionist are ruining magic!

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
£20 pah I got it for a £10 which isn't too bad gives a bit of variation that will create surprise wink my friend sam is a very good magician and he's got loads of bits and bobs and very handy to have a professional street magician to help me learn and practice tricks on before I try it on the public and give away any secrets.

I filmed my erdnase last night and will post it as soon as i get my lady off my pc and can upload it ubblol now that'll WILL be a trick it looks a lot different from the front I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
right here it is the second quick change is smoother even since I uploaded the video now biggrin

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3JtsxQTBcfU

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
nice crotch lee

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
nice going mynci smile

hug

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
biggrin thanks pete... and bubbles ubblol something for magicians AND the ladies wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
okay here's another video with less crotch and much more manipulation wink

https://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=3127386599538682030
EDITED_BY: Mynci (1189942190)

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
swish!

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
thank you biggrin took about an hour of practice to get that I need to work out a few things for publlic performance but it's nice to have a variety of colour changes rather then just the common ones

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
in my opinion, it's one of those colour changes that you can't really do all that well in public, just because it's a bit angly and whatnot. although saying that, I use ones like this https://media.putfile.com/Change-78 quite a lot and it has the same sort of problems
when it comes down to it with colour changes you can still get the best kind of reactions from a good old classic change, or even a shapeshifter or erdnase.

coin magic is the way forward now, thankyou david stone!

What're you looking at?
What're you callin' me!?

Page: