Forums > Help! > Twista or Cathedral poi?

Login/Join to Participate

CyraSILVER Member
Baby Spinner
2 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty new to spinning. smile I've been spinning for about 4 months now, (poi for 2!!!) But now I've got the twocents and I'm FINALLY ready to purchase my first set of fire poi! smile I want to follow Nick Woolsey's recomendation and get a pair of the Pro series chains with a single loop grip. VERY EXCITED!!!

My question is about the heads... I don't know what to pick up, and I would LOVE some guidence! Cathedrals or twistas? Medium or large? Decisions decisions. Then I see monkeyfists, and boxes? I know nothing of these...

Thank you SO much in advance. I have been using a head about the size of your medium cathedral, but just tried a set about the size of a large twista. Very impressive - but now I don't know what to get. Any advice would be GREAT! Thank you!!!

My friends an I are hoping to start doing duets, if that helps. smile

"From what I've tasted of desire,
I'll hold with those who favor fire"
-Robert Frost

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Well, considering you've only been spinning poi for two months, I'm not so sure you should be spinning fire yet. However, it *is* ultimately your decision, so I'll give you some advice.

I would go for medium fire heads. Many of the large heads are very heavy and can be straining on your arms and shoulders. I don't know about the twistas, but I like both cathedral and monkey fists. The monkey fists will be heavier than the cathedrals, but the burn will last longer. Conversely, the flame will be bigger and brighter with the cathedrals. It just depends on what you prefer. For a beginner though, I would recommend medium cathedrals. This is what I started with and I still like them very much.

Question everything.

CyraSILVER Member
Baby Spinner
2 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice. smile Maybe I should have said that I've been spinning fire poi for 2 months - rather than just poi. smile But I have yet to have a set I can call my own. smile

"From what I've tasted of desire,
I'll hold with those who favor fire"
-Robert Frost