Forums > Videos > Zan and Aurora Poi Tutorials

Login/Join to Participate

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
Hi spin family!
Aurora and I have started a new series of Poi tutorials filmed in our Yurt. 2 are up now, and I'll be adding more onto this thread in the next couple of weeks. Take a look, leave some feedback. Let us know what you like, and what you want to see next time!

The first video is a tutorial video on "The Meltdown". The first half is the basics, working up to the pattern. The second half is variations and more advanced stuff.

In case you already know "The Meltdown" I uploaded the second half (Just the variations) as a separate video so you don't have to watch through the intro:

Hope you like 'em! Greetings from Oregon. Play hard,
Zan

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
Another tutorial video up, this one for Partner Poi. Is all about switching hands during the 4-beat weave, and the ways you can play with the possibilities it opens:

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
Another one! Enjoy, and leave a comment.

Mr Majestikcoming to a country near you
45 posts

Posted:
I just wonder how cat eye version would look like..

JD

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
Hmmm. I like that idea.
Another possibility is to do the same hand patterns with all linear-isolations instead of linear-extensions. It's definitely possible, but quite challenging. It would have a crazy effect where the hands and poi keep passing each other, then waiting while being passed. hands move, poi move, hands move, poi move, etc.

Mark262011stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Gave me some cool ideas thanks.

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
Here's another Partner Poi tutorial. This move is both more advanced and more rewarding. Give it a try with your partner, or go recruit a playmate if you don't have one yet.
Let us know what you think!

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
I've collected these and other Poi Tutorial videos we've made into a playlist, so they're all visible in one spot. I can't embed it here, but I'll leave the link and you can view all the videos on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD030964767FE9BEF&feature=plcp

It was interesting to me to watch the oldest tutorial I had up (2006) then the newest ones and see how far it's come.
Cheers and happy New Year

ZanGOLD Member
Light Warrior
32 posts

Posted:
Unwind after all those tutorials with a video that's just fun to watch. I hope it inspires your practice!

Let me know what you think!