Forums > Help! > Poi wick comparison

Login/Join to Participate

SambardoGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Hello all,

I'm looking into getting some new poi. I finally settled on the pro series chains since they look really comfortable and I like the swivels.

However, when looking at wicks I got a bit overwhelmed. I feel like there isn't enough information and pictures up to compare wicks. I've always sued cathedrals, which for me have been great. They have good weight, burn time, look, and are pretty soft. I figured if I'm getting new poi, I might as well make sure I get wicks I'll be happy with.

If anyone can point me to some existing information I may have missed that would be great smile. Otherwise, hopefully some of you with experience with different wicks can help answer my questions.

I'm having trouble differentiating the looks/differences between monkey fist, cathedral, twista and box heads.

From what I gather:
Cathedral and Monkey fist:
-Similar burn times
-Monkey fist use less fuel
-Monkey fist have consistent 'look' throughout the burn
I'm wondering if monkey fist are harder (more painful) to get hit with, and whether they are better for wraps (leak less fuel than the cathedrals)?

Can anyone with experience with cathedrals and box/twista heads give me a comparison? They seem so similar I can't imagine they vary much in durability, look, fuel use, or burn times, but I would really like to know.

Thanks for any help!
~Sambardo

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Monkey fists tend to have slightly larger flames due to the knotted work creating a larger surface area/volume ratio.

Monkey fists tend to have a bit more weight to them, this is really the major one, anything else between these two heads types tend to differ almost unnoticably slightly.

I havent really noticed any significant fuel leak with any of my poi, to be honest, so I couldn't comment.

Monkey fists are a little harder than cathedrals, but lets face it... you're hitting yourself with a gigantic ball of fire, theres probably reasons to be avoiding that anyway, at least if you knock yourself out you don't need someone to tell you "Hey buddy! You might get hurt doing that!"

I think in the end, its down to personal preference.

What I did when I wanted to offload some dosh on a new set was just buy some isis heads and then customised my own chains. You could buy the pro series chains from here and get the isis heads if you like.

hug

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Cathedrals hurt less when they hit you than Monkey fists I can vouch for that wink if you are practicing with your fire wicks (not alight) you will get less bruises practicing new stuff.

also I find the weight when fueled better to use with cathedrals

I find cathedrals work better for long spins as less strain on the wrists and arms and the slightly lighter weight means less momentum so easier if you want to break planes

Less damage to cathedrals if they hit the floor regularly (more an issue with staves than poi though)

and depending upon size of wick and the size of your dipping pot cathedrals tend to fit a bit better as they can be squished a bit if carrying a small to medium sized pot (but again not a major issue if your happy to do one at a time)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I find stalls and thereby plane changes to be easier with heavier poi, tbh.

hug

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Have admit fists look better and probably get less fraying.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

seerya40stranger
1 post

Posted:
I took it. To get to the next.