Mr Majestikcoming to a country near you
45 posts

Posted:
Do spinning need stars, masteres, idols, icons or legends ?
Do spinning need someone to look up to ?
Do you have one ?
Would you tell ?
Would you tell why ?
Do you thing the aswer is no ?
Can you tell why ?
Do you think something else ?

JD

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
inb4 Robert Heart

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Using your choice of word, "heroes" - no.

Mentors, respected community members and people to look up to - yes.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think the idolisation of certain high profile spinners visually present in many youtube videos is counter productive to the art as a whole.

'having been influenced by' is different from 'trying to be exactly like'.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Mr Majestikcoming to a country near you
45 posts

Posted:
Agree Rouge, but I think spinning is facing business more than before. Pyro, this is different problem, but it's close.

JD

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Well, I differentiate idolization and pure immitation. You can have either without the other. Obviously we don't need people put on pedestals, in poi or elsewhere, but there's no reason not to recognize performers who have pushed you to think about poi differently, or opened up a whole realm of technique, or who just show the beauty and potential of the prop.

I would say G and Ronan are poi heroes of mine (though not the only two). Both did things I'd never seen before and did it well, and they opened up a lot of stuff for me. I don't particularly want to spin like them either since there's stuff they don't do much of that I quite like. They're people I can watch and always find something new and inspiring.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

merkustranger
7 posts

Posted:
I think Nick Woolsey is one of that "Poi-Heroes" and there are a lot of spinners i realy respect smile
Maybe i get one of those respected spinners in a few years, timne will show
EDITED_BY: merku (1324574715)

agroventFarmer Poi
11 posts

Posted:
While i agree, the word hero might not be the best, there are people who stand out in the internet community (usualy but not exclusively on youtube), and who contribute in what i perceive as a meaningful and possitive way. These people help to network between spinners, popularize spinning, produce toys, organize events, teach classes, etc...
A few of them, i end up thinking of as heroes- but i try to keep them in the realm of rolemodels and inspiration.

Nick Woolsey and the crew at Playpoi for example, have produced a series of instructional videos of a quality that is, in my opinion, unparalleled. I learned everything i know about the "dance" aspects of poi from the free content on their website.

if it hadn´t been for Nick, Joff (joffjk), and a handful of others who post free instructional material online, i would never have had access to Poi where i live... so, yea, thats my "why"

"...It's worth it, to get to spend my life doing what makes me happy and sharing something real with people, in the midst of all the falseness around."

PikalukGOLD Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
The way I see it, spinning fire is an art form. Everyone has their own styles and skills and ways to do things. It's not about comparison. Ive spun fire with a lot of people and have not seen anyone spin the same way or do the same tricks as everyone else. Everyone is different.

Also, you could practice all day every day and think you have mastered fire spinning only to go on YouTube to find someone else who knows different styles and different moves that can put yours to shame. It's the blessing and the curse of the Internet.

synndarellaDIAMOND Member
61 posts

Posted:
People to look up to and aspire to, yeah. I doubt everyone needs that, because I think some of us are natural leaders, natural explorers, so a hero' or whatever word you use, will just be nonsense to them.
But for me, spinning in my back garden with no dreams of being a performer, its really just play to me. I am the audience really~ Much like I would copy dance routines off the TV as a kid for fun, I now copy poi moves of the internet for fun~

There are so many that stand out but because of the quality of production, the friendly and accessible nature of them, Playpoi always come to mind first. I'm glad it is them because they there is little mystery about them, they are not aloof or anything like that and they WANT to share everything they figure out.
You actually feel part of something, that in truth will only ever be my back yard.

Sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind. The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself~

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
Do spinning need stars, masteres, idols, icons or legends ?
- No, it is an art for individuals to express themselves.

Do spinning need someone to look up to ?
- You should always have someone to look up to and gain inspiration from.

Do you have one ?
- Yes, Several Actually.

Would you tell ?
- Carenza Bint Asya, Brain Shank & Jerry Hatcher of Phoenix Fire Productions, USA.

Would you tell why ?
- Because I have met them personally and communicate with them on occasion. Having an idol without ever communicating with them does not give me personal satisfaction as when I complete something and there is someone who can actually give me their opinion.

Do you think something else ?
- Spinning doesn't need heros, but it does need a community of people, some better than others for each member to contribute and excel the art so that it may spread and grow.

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Nick Woolsey and Burning Dan.

Burning Dan you are sorely missed by us all. Thank you so much for the legacy you left as one of the greatest flow spinners ever. I wish you were still among us. Rest in peace my friend, rest in peace.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.