Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Travelling abroad with fire staffs

Login/Join to Participate

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I'm heading to goa for 2 weeks in Jan (YAY, WOOP! etc) and I really want to do some spinning on the beach, so...

1) Will I have any trouble taking used wicks on a plane? It being fuel and all...
2) Will it be easier to find a staff there, is there anywhere in goa I can buy one?

Ta dude(ete)s grin

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Well they are too big for hand luggage wink if in doubt check with your airline. There are plenty of international fire performers so I imagine if checked and in the hold away from electronic devices you will probably be OK.

If really in doubt dude you may have to bite the bullet and give them wicks a wash and dry. before you go.

My dad brought me a staff back from Goa when he went 8 years ago - the wick wasn't all that though, some wierd white stuff that broke up pretty easily and was clearly not kevlar. not great for contact but have used worse.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

EmmCeeeFFBRONZE Member
145 posts

Posted:
I have a feeling I wrote something on this before... although not sure where it is?

Umm... On my way home from Belize, via the states, I had a fire staff with me. From Belize to the USA I had the wicks in my bag and the dowel on the side of my ruck sack. Because the satff was a little longer than the bag they put both in a big plastic bag together.

When i tried to check in in America they told me that I was unable to check the bag in the same way as before. As my second checked item was a small bag I was informed that I could carry this on the plane as I was allowed two items of hand luggage, I then checked the staff in as an item.

Other than feeling a little strange waiting for a glorified broom handle at the conveyor belts at Heathrow it all went okay.

Provided that you are able to take two checked items I don’t think you should have any issues. As I had been living in the jungle for several months my bag contained used wicks, a machete along with various other knives and survival equipment. Nobody batted an eye lid.

If i had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isnt. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldnt be. And what it wouldnt be, it would. You see?

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Sweet thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinking I'll call the airline and check that I'm OK strapping the sticks to the outside of my pack and then put the wicks in the pack somewhere. Think I might also use a couple of old staffs in case the worst happens!

I was just a bit nervous because I know you're not supposed to take used camping stoves through. Guess its going to be hard to detect anyway!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!