cman488BRONZE Member
Contact staffer
3 posts

Posted:
Hey Guys.

It summer time and its time for a new project. My contact staff is starting to fall apart and i think is time I make my own contact staff.

Can you guy give me some pointers on how to make a contact staff.

cman488

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
What kind of contact staff are you wanting to make? Fire? Or a practice non-fire one?

Question everything.

cman488BRONZE Member
Contact staffer
3 posts

Posted:
I'm would like a Fire staff. and once i know how to make a fire staff im thinking ill a dragon staff, they are so fun to play with.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Metal tube and dowel to length you like (I used Aluminim)
Attach grip to middle.
Attach up to 50cm of kevlar to each end by winding around the staff gaffa tape in place with a neat fold over the end to stop fraying.
Drill through kevlar and pole a little into the wood.
Screw into place using a recessed washer to prevent sharp edges.

Doweling helps reduce heat transfer along the metal slightly and gives a bit more weight to maintain momentum of staff whilst spinning.

grin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

cman488BRONZE Member
Contact staffer
3 posts

Posted:
Is there anyway spel way to get balance right?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
not really, once you have your grip on I have used a sneaky trick once. put all the bits for the wicks (screws washers and kevlar) in pair of matching plastic bags then hang them on the ends to find your balance point. It should be around the middle. Thetrick is to use uniform parts and the same length of Kevlar for each wick.

alternatively just tape the kevlar on first and see how it feels, that's how I did someones triple wicked staff when i made one. the addition of a couple of screws shouldn't make too much difference in the scheme of things.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.