Page:
AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i always seem to be in long flowy skirts, which is not always easyi dont have special twirling clothes but soon i would like to make some costumes.maybe some pants. i dont think i've ever twirled in pants! i think a giesha girl dress with pants would look good....what are peoples ideas on costumes?

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
usually i just wear either a tight white tee and some baggy kakies, but if you do fire then your going to want to maby wear like some tight leather, or something flame retardent. dont' wear baggy clothes if your going to do fire poi (unless your really confident wink ), as i found out the hard way when i did chasing the sun one time and i guess the sun decided to take a bite out of my ass! grin peace to ya, and good luck with your costume Amber! wink------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Leather jeans and leather boots. That's it. Admittedly a bit minimal for chicks, though I have seen chicks spinning fire topless. I'd urgently discourage flowing clothes and synthetic fibers.Those leather jeans are getting a bit hot with the Austin summer upon us, but I like 'em. I know that motorcycle pants made of perforated leather are available, and I might explore that.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Oh, the reason why Adam recommends against synthetic fibers is that when set alight they melt. Melted fibers can bond to skin and create terrible scars and perhaps require surgery. Very ugly stuff. I pretty much stick to cotton, wool, leather and keep it form fitting. Diana

soniqastmember
13 posts

Posted:
baggy kikwear, caffeine, ufo, element, etc. clothing. only problem is the reflective ribbons hanging off some of the pants that catch on the strings sometimes, but i wouldnt sacrifice comfort for anything.

Computer games dont affect kids. If Pac Man affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repativity.

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
mmm... bumping this post coz i am curious.what do people wear?me, i got old jeans and a short, fitted tee happening, but it kinda bores me. doesnt look that great.oh, and the neat, stripy woollen beanie my nanna made me grin it saved my eyebrows last night and my hair this morning.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I wear whatever's comfortable for me. *shrugs* I guess I'm just preparing myself for when someone walks up to me and asks "Hey! Can you spin?" then they hand me strings and I bust it out. (Not that erm... it'll be happening anytime soon, if at all I guess I need to figure out another excuse)*scurries off to do some more plotting*

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I wear whatever I am wearing that day if I am not using fire. But if I have sooty wicks flying around, I stick to my Hard Yakka bib & brace overalls. They are awesome for camping too. Heavy cotton that can withstand all kinds of rough treatment. That and an old t-shirt.I am interested in doing fire totally naked, but scared of the possibilities. blush

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Generally normal clothes except when doing fire when I wear jeans and cotton top.If I'm using my Fire poi (unlit or burning) I try to wear black clothes as it hides the soot marks when you're down the pub afterwards.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

clairebearmember
52 posts
Location: jersey - Little rock, not quite there and almost h...

Posted:
Tends to be whatever I'm wearing at the time, but somehow I never manage to avoid wearing slightly floaty clothes, so some are a little singed, but I seem to manage ok.But definately natural fibers. Hemp cotton is very good as it's hardwearing and really warm and cosy, makes for niceness in these cold winter monthsAs for sooty marks? Well it all washes out, and they can be a conversation starter..... Though friends not mentioning that I had a huge sooty mark on one side of my face, for a period of several hours, whilst out for dinner and then in the pub afterwards was a bit unfair, though comical.

Be Cautious of who you sniff, they could be an EnemyBig love and fluffy rainbow light in bundles. Bear xxx xxx xxx

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
In response to the original question... as little as [socially] possible.. far less inhibiting (in every sense of the word)I dunno bout you, but I get exceptionally hot during one of those far out Zenny spinning sessions. I know when the goings good cuz I sweat like I was doing 10 rounds with Tyson in a sauna... or 10 hours in a sauna with Kylie..!! (oooeeerr !!)Bendy.. did you see my thread back along entitled 'Natural Alterative' ??------------------Kato

Kato

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Since I've started doing floorwork I've added knee and elbow pads to my gear. I have matching black street hockey pads with hard plastic surfaces. I can drop down on my knees and roll around on concrete without any discomfort.Beyond that: black leather trousers with black boots and bondage belt, or red sweat pants, yellow martial arts belt, high-top fringed leather mocasins. Always bare chest. Body paint if available.Other accessories (metal bat wings, masks, etc.) depending on event. I like dressing up.Maximus

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
I don't have this yet, but I've been thinking about commissioning one of the leather-goods shops in Brick Lane to make me a red leather either cat suit or trousers and holter top...with black gloves up to my elbows...wow!C

Stumember
16 posts

Posted:
Hey CYou could then add Britney Spears to the Poi Music thread winkYou know i'm kidding - Although the trousers & holter top would show off your sexy stomach ;x------------------~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

~ Don't think you are, Know you are ~Stu ;)

Mikemember
9 posts

Posted:
Long sleeves, to protect armhair!!!

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
I have a sequinned bra with a matching sequinned belt. I wear hot pants underneath. MMMM Sparkly!!!

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
How in the hell do you spin in bat wings? That sounds like more trouble than it's worth.I usually spin in a pair of black Dickies work pants, and my Bad Religion T-shirt, and 20 eye Gripfasts, but then that is what I'm usually wearing.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Ahhhhh*wishes he had a sequinned bra in which to spin*

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Just a pair of black army cargo pants....------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

I am Schwabemember
25 posts

Posted:
heh, I think Im with foobaa on thisI always wear baggy pants, cargo and all thatwhen I breathe, I just tear off my shirt and go at it...well, for dress that is...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I have this little grey polyester (I know, I know, synthetic materials shocked but it's comfy) sleeveless t-shirt and dark cargo pants. I need a sleeveless top because sleeves just get in the way when I'm spinning. A lot of my staffwork is very close to my body so reducing the number of things they (the staffs) can snag on is always a bonus.I usually take my shirt of when i start warming up anyway - no matter what the weather is like......I'm meant to be having tight leather vest thing made but I forgot about that til just this moment. Good thing you reminded me wink

Meh

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Poor Bendy, What size bra do you take?? I could make you one smile

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
How do I spin in bat wings? Well, I do have to leave out a few moves, e.g., behind the neck reverse weaves. But I made them out of a single sheet of aluminum and they don't flop around. It isn't that big and almost all the basic moves miss it. Here's a look:https://www.deadflesh.org/fear/fearcamwings.jpghttps://www.deadflesh.org/fear/fearcamwings2.jpgI usually use double fire swords or fire sai when I wear the wings. I have much more trouble with the three horned fire helmet. It seems I'm always hitting it...Oh, and I have firedanced a couple times in the wings, boots, and leopardskin briefs. That's all. (yes, it was Burning Man.) Dead sexy.Maximus

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I would love to have wings - real ones of course; and gills, and a prehensile tail, and opposable big toes, and eyes that glow red on command, but I think I would probably get some funny looks.saffire - I think I am prolly a AA cup, but now I am going to the gym, I hope to be an A cup by the end of the year! wink Somehow I don't think my manly frame (pffft!) would suit a bra - just a pipe dream I guess, I'll add it to the list above grin

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Oh, Amber... I bet you're glad you asked eh...??And a big HEY !! ..to everyone.. remember... we are ALL naked underneath.------------------Kato

Kato

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
Twirl in as little as possible and people don't tend to notice that you're just a beginner grin - works for me !

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Whatever feels comfy at the time.For Ren shows it's royal blue harem pants, royal blue bra cut choli, lavender leather bodice, black leather wrist bracers (no functionality with them, they just look good with the outfit), and I just got my matching blue hip scarf.Other than that, for shows...whatever is in the dress code. For my show on the 15th I am making multi-colored beaded fringe top and hip scarf, and will be wearing a mini-skirt-shorts thing with it. It's a Mardi Gras, New Orleans style party, and they told me to wear a theme appropriate costume, topless not an option! winkFor my show on the 12th I am going with black leather pants, this cute little purple shirt and a funky silver metal belt with matching arm band and hair pieces.I like accessories, to really accent things.I enjoy designing and making costumes (I have a certificate in costume and make-up design) and then getting to play in them is better!I like colors, especially those that compliment the flames...like blue and purple.When goofing off, jeans and a t will do.Whipping Boy just got me this really cool t-shirt, black with red letters that read "I Like Fire" on it. I want to wear that to a club event I will end up doing, with the leather pants. It completely breaks my costume norm but I think it would be funny.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have a pair of tight red nylon cargo pants that don't burn when I hit myself. On top, I'll wear something tight. Often, a white t-shirt. I've seen a few people set themselves alight, so I'm a bit paranoid and I always wear tight clothes. Oh, and I keep my hair buzzed really short. But that's for more reasons than just spinning.Now, a friend of mine spins in a loose hippie skirt and her hair (dredlocks) is never tied back. And she's never set fire to herself. I've seen people spin in the nude blush, I've seen itty bitty leather bikinis grin, clown suits cool, and I even saw one guy spin in a tuxedo. shocked Welcome to the world of street performance. smileWhat you wear isn't as important as how your clothes make you feel. My clothes are comfortable and make me feel confident that I can hit myself without catching fire. It's a fire performance, not a fashion show, after all. The more comfortable you are in your clothes the better you will spin, and that's what matters in the end.But if you are new, don't do the tuxedo thing.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I have to ask why people wear white t-shirts... they get sooty.I usually wear a tight, short sleeve (for trailing) tshirt, black jeans (for fire screwing - like fire eating, but...), silver belt and big black boots with metal studs on. This is always if I'm using fire (my other clothes are all too expensive wink), otherwise sometimes just my clubbing clothes, whatever they happen to be.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
seeing i use photons attached to chucky cheese balls with mesh sleeves on them - i can wear whatever and not worry about catching on fire - i think if a photon burst into flame that no particular clothing would save mehowever - tonight i was dancing in vinyl pants, a caffeine shirt, a skull cap and fog goggles.last night at the club in downtown Providence i was wearing vinyl pants, tighter, and no shirt... works for me ps - CHAINMAIL BELT AT ALL TIMES. extremely cold against the skin, but if yer gonna git hit in the "bad parts to get hit in" a huge metal belt is WONDERFUL.

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
I wear underwear on top of my head
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
Monkey butt!------------------"come with me to a land of fantasy, take my hand down into techno wonderland"parents say video games affect teens I dont think they do,if they did, take pac man for example, we'd all be running around darkend rooms munching magic pills listening to repetitive music. PLUR

Its not easy being green....

Page: