Anomylous
stranger

Total posts: 2
Posted:If you go down to the dollar store, sometimes they have chemical "glow-sticks". Some of these even come with ribbons, probably meant for hanging them around your neck. All you have to do is tie the ribbons on securely, add a finger loop, snap the stick to get it to glow, and start spinning. During the day they just look stupid, but at night it's a pretty cool effect. The glow lasts several hours, they come in three or four different colors, and are pretty durable.

I'm thinking of making a pair of cords with clips on the ends, so I can clip the glowsticks onto them - sometimes the ribbon comes unknotted. Luckily, it's not like the glowstick is hard to find in the dark...

Delete Topic

Anomylous
stranger

Posted:Hmm... I thought I'd come up with a brilliant (pardon the pun) and original idea, but on poking around more... maybe not so much. footinmouth

Oh well. It's still cool.

Delete

Lye
Lye

Fate Keeps Telling Me To Stop

Total posts: 270
Posted:It's called glowsticking. smile
EDITED_BY: Lye (1318533449)

Delete

beaniebob
casually noob tech poi spinrar
Total posts: 155
Posted:Well, if you happen to spin frequently and you crack a new pair of chemical glowsticks each time the cost really does add up, and eventually you might as well just fork out the money ($60 or so) for a set of flowlights.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

Delete

philzyxx
philzyxx

stranger
Posted:As a variant on this you can make tight-arse LED poi.

Every so often Zazz.com.au sells "LED Throwies"
Which is basically a pack of LEDs, watch batteries and small magnets. The idea being you tape them together and throw them at metallic things (yay light graffiti is fun!)

I think it's about $10 for 20 of each
so... cheap as, and you can attach them whatever you've got on hand with just sticky tape.

Delete

Trybal Wolf
Trybal Wolf

Wolf Furry
Total posts: 517
Posted:Technically, it is known as glowstringing.

Also, glowsticks are not your most "green" option. I'm with beaniebob, just get a pair of flowlights and save the earth.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

Delete