Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I have not picked up my poi for a year redface

Not really my fault, lack of time and space to practice in. So very soon, I will be working on everything all over again from scratch! It's going to be very frustrating.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

BlueHairSarstranger
22 posts

Posted:
That happened to me, only I've only been doing poi for a year, and after about 6 months of spinning I didn't pick them up for about 5 months. Then I went to Wildfire...

Seriously, the best way to get motivated to pick them up again is to go to an event where you can see and talk to and play with and learn from other spinners.

I'm working on flow and footwork mostly; but I intend to start working on crossers.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
BTB Hugs, try it at home! But make sure you warm up before.. I've also finally understood the basic hyperloop and can now do them 9/10 times. When i can do them better ill post in the moves leart thread =)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
still working on the btb 3bt weave-how many months is that now

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
still working on this gallon of milk....

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i want milk

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

VipesBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Im working on btb 3 beat at the moment. Its annoying! Getting Hyperloops with my other hand now (left poi swings down, instead of right), backwards and forwards.

Check out my Gallery!!

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
I'm still working on isolated weave, and now working on antispin weave, 360 degree butterfloop and basic atomics

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

blazed_scoobynewbie
16 posts

Posted:
im try to get the flower down for now grrrrr

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Waistwraps, damn.. It took me so long to figure out such a simple arm-thingy movement.. Now all I need is to practice 'til my arms give up!

PoiToimember
41 posts

Posted:
working on cleaning up my BTB BF weave. (i finally
got it!!! wooohoooo!!)

still wokring on waistwrap and cleaning up 7beat BF weave.

oh, and i found the butter-fountain. . . I dont know if anyone else does this, it fun. Basically a fountain but the butterfly weave instead of the regular weave.
ubbrollsmile ubblove

Boring InduvidualBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
My current obsession is all kind of suicide wrap combinations.
+Whipcatches (the bane of my life)
+Putting knots into hyperloops and (whatever the butterfly hyperloop thing is called)'s

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
busy with isolated weave, almost got it too I think...

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
boring: butterfloop. biggrin

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
im working on meteor, and iv made a variation on a 3 peice staff. instead of 3 sticks, (wich is illegal) iv got it so my fire poi fit on the ends of the centre stick, (wich isnt illegal). im also trying to work out how to attach the wick to a fire sward.
other than that, im working on my club juggling.
and trying to find the written law that seys i cant learn fire spitting.

The nite is nearly over, day is almost here. Romans 13:12

dj_sacrific3SILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
working on flowers in which my body is spinning through the flower. also working on pirroettes, horizontal stalls, windmill to btb-wall plane weaves.

just learned loads of varition's with fountains. one of which is a split-time TTN fountain with crosser's to change poistion from BTB low right&left side, wall plane in front, BTB high left&right side. looks excellent if you really close the plane with your body and keep the poi close to you.
EDITED_BY: dj_sacrific3 (1164345029)

<S.kill> ÐJ_Sacrific3

MarisaBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Low Turn.

I just got high turn, but for some reason the low turn doesn't make sense to me. I keep watching the video, but ... nothing. I'll keep playing around and look around the site more!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I had this idea that I could collapse an antispin flower, done Yuta quick, down into a one handed spiral wrap. So far I' haven't got there, yet, without passing through a couple of beats of the three beat weave, it's sort of like I have to get my hands into position first, before going into the wrap. I'm liking the idea of going from the biggest pattern you can make with poi, straight into the smallest.

Marisa, if you got the high turn, then you'll get the low turn soon, it might help to think of the low turn as an upside down high turn. remember to put the hand of the direction your turning in, behind you first, your hands FEEL like they're going into split time, while your poi stay in same time.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
7 beat butterfly weave on top of everything I'm still trying to learn

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
after somewhat getting to grips with hyperloops i've moved onto some form of contact meteor poi. tis nice!

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Freehaning, poping, complete body movement.

love,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

NollykinGOLD Member
21 posts

Posted:
Working on BTB things in general, got a crossover happening, and I've managed to do some kind of 2-beat weave, though it ends up exaggerated and looking like some kind of front to back butterfly. No luck on 3beat yet. Also been occasionally working on the forward 5beat- keep getting both poi coming together as I come back over from my right to left. So I'm seemingly 1/2 a beat out. I'll get there!

We want a band, that plays loud and hard every night-
That doesn't care how many people are counted at the door-
That would travel one million miles and ask for nothing more,
Than a plate of food and a place to rest.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
This semi flowery nonsense=> https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

The first is a sequence shown from Blucats Ubertricks class at PLAY which he called club swingers revenge..

The second was a variation that I have been playing with ....

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
edited the pic to help with the understanding - sorry for any confusion ... will get a vid up at some point

KriskoSILVER Member
22 posts

Posted:
working on flowers (for some reason, I'm still inept at them), straight jacket (turns, weaves, stalls, ect.. on all 4 planes.. that's hellafun), some new moves through the legs, and freehand butterfly.

They're just circles.. anything's possible

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mireneye

BTB Hugs, try it at home! But make sure you warm up before..

I've been trying to do this, got a half btb hug thing going on atm, cant seem to get the timing right to get the other hand btb without messing it up, got any tips (besides the usual practice practice practice wink)

KriskoSILVER Member
22 posts

Posted:
eek

BTB hugs? is a hug the same thing as a straightjacket?

if so, that'd be deadly. wow

They're just circles.. anything's possible

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Same direction split-time horizontal stalls and hybrids smile

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
I don't know if it has a name or if it's even been done before. I'll try to explaine it though, starting in a weave get bolth the poi on one side. switch the handles between hands so the one that was in the left is now in the right, and vice versa. now the strings should have twisted around eachother so just pull them apart like a hyper loop.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
hey! that sounds cool! hang on... no... wait...
nup, i cant do it. but it does sound cool.
im still working on btb weave and turn. iv managed turning from farwards to backwards, but not the other way round. cool

The nite is nearly over, day is almost here. Romans 13:12

Page: ......