Forums > Technical Discussion > Help me choose which kevlar to buy

Login/Join to Participate

Night CrawlerBRONZE Member
46 posts

Posted:
Now that I have a bit more time to myself and the fact that I have just been paid, I want to get back into spinning.
I want to make myself some new fire poi but I need your help in choosing between 2 different kevlar materials.
The first is 'Heavyweight Kevlar Protective Fleece Fabric' found here Kevlar fleece
The second is 'Kevlar Protective Loopbacked Fabric' found here Loopback Fabric
Both of these are super soft and really light. I can also get them pretty cheap.
The other advantages with these, I think, is that there would be a lot less or no fraying and the fabric can be sewn together with kevlar thread instead of using metal bolts to hold the whole thing together.

Oh I should also add, these will be for basic cylinder shaped heads with a stainless steel tube core. Well, until I decide to get more adventurous with the stuff.

My next day off is Thursday, so I would like your thoughts before then if possible.

Thanks in advance

'You can only be free when you have nothing to loose'

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
Strangely the "fleece" looks like it would be the most durable when set on fire, but I really have no idea so must refrain from voting. I say get both and tell us which is better smile

Night CrawlerBRONZE Member
46 posts

Posted:
There is no need to refrain from voting, I just want to know what you guys 'think' would be better.
I haven't actually seen either types yet so I'm not sure what they will be like myself. I have tried kevlar felt though and it seemed really good. So I probably will end up getting both fleece and loop back, but not at the same time. So what I really want is for you guys to help me choose which to buy first.

So Lye, if you think the fleece would be better, just hit the fleece button and click submit smile

'You can only be free when you have nothing to loose'