Forums > Social Chat > Boycott Coca Cola Campaign

Login/Join to Participate

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
See below.

The boycott was launched yesterday. Please don't buy Coca Cola or Minute Maid products and encourage others to do the same.

We can make a difference!

The Coca Cola Campaign

Coca Cola and Nestlé both stand accused of serious human rights violations in Colombia. While Nestlé sack union members, Coca Cola kill them. Paramilitary Death Squads, acting under orders from Coca Cola management, have assassinated 8 trade union leaders in their workplaces. The union, SINTRAMINERCOL, has responded by calling for an international boycott of Coca Cola and all of their products, to start on 22 July.

www.cokewatch.org
https://www.colombiasolidarity.org.uk/cocacolacampaign.html

"Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that does" Margaret Mead

Non-Https Image Link

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Fire Monkeymember
176 posts

Posted:
Boo for coke.....

I'm already off nestle so i'm gonna add coke to the list.

It's all cr*p any way.

Instead i'll have some Fair trade green tea.

Every ones a monkey!
Yes even you!

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Ill stick to my Fiar Trade coffee too, coke is too bad for you anyway. It kinda rots your insides because of the amount of sugar in it apparently, uuughhhhhh

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
... and did you know it takes 9 litres of water to make 1 litre of coke/sprite/fanta/whatever!!!

9 litres

.. and Coca Cola have been "buying" rivers in Columbia, making them inaccessible to farmers who relied on them for their livelihood and people who need water to live.

BUYING rivers!...

https://www.wateraid.org.uk/

thanks guys. Rant over...

..for now

Non-Https Image Link

sunny

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Coke is great for cleaning the toilet tho.. and for degreasing engines..

death squads don't supprise me unfortunately - nor buying rivers.. Gice a corporation and inch.. they'll take the whole mile ans that of your next door neighbours too

I've been boycotting coca cola for years anyway..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

globallionmember
9 posts

Posted:
Nice One Sunbeam! You're a star

That water statistic is damnded interesting - I knew Coke had depleted water supplies in Kerala, India... so that the locals had to import water to drink! I had kind of wondered how the heck they'd done that cos there is a whole load of water in Kerala but "9 litres"!!?! of water per litre of Coke! - Now it makes sense to me!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay..first of all I have to say, it does not take 9 liters of water to make 1 of coke. That's like saying it takes 9 liters to make one liter of Lemonade mix. The ingredients are added to a syrup which is then added to carbonated water. The syrup is comprised of ingredients including sugar, corn syrup to make it thick, phosophoric acid and caffeine, coloring and flavoring. You can actually purchase Coke syrup seperately from from the water to mix your own or take as a home remedy for upset stomachs. My grandmother rememers when coke came out and knows how to make the syrup, it wasn't a closely guarded secret then, though I imagine the ingredients are harder to find now.

Soda on the whole causes ulcers, dehydration, dental issues....it is just another junk food in daily life.

As for the Coke company. You are aware that each of the Coke Plants globally is individually operated right? That situations such as these happen with most out of country manufacturers and that there are corporate regulations are that do not supercede governmental regulations which allow underage workers? You realize that corporate has very little to do with plant management, because they are too busy sitting on their laurels, and that the person who approved these tragedies is in fact up for criminal charges? It's all about further research.

And if it is the sweat shop part you are having problems with then here are my suggestions for you....

Only purchase domestically made items, keeping in mind that many of the components are made in out of country sweat shops which are then sent back to assembly lines. Finding something 100% domestic can be quite difficult.

This to me is the same as telling someone to wear cotton because it is animal friendly. There are pesticides used on cotton crops that kill many forms of animal life that is rarely thought of or mentioned with this arguement.

I am not saying do not boycott at all. What I am saying is pay attention past the obvious and biased reports and look at all the "reported" facts from a neutral place.

[ 24. July 2003, 01:53: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I'm with Pele.

The multinationals could keep a tighter reign on their contractors, but unfortunately much of this sweatshop exploitation is local people shitting on local people.

I'll be impressed if any 'coke boycott' makes a noticable dent in their sales figures. That said, a noticable dent is coming anyway - look at MacDonalds falling sales. People are slowing getting educated.

Think of it as corporate karma. Eventually bad practices lead to the world turning against you.

Magnus... pay it forward

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i would imagine that 9 litres includes all the processes that go into making a bottle of coke.

not just the water in the bottle but the water used to manufacture the syrup (or the ingredients of), water to clean the machines, the water used as a coolant in the machines, any water required in the bottle/labelling processes and so on.
it could easily add up quickly.

and how come coke made from the syrup tastes different to the bottled stuff?
i don't know why either but it definitely does...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
exactly cole.

And Pele I agree, it's impossible to be completely ethical in the choices we make as consumers but we can use the small voice we have and if we shout together we will be louder.

Non-Https Image Link

sunny

globallionmember
9 posts

Posted:
Pele, good call on telling people to get out there and do their research...
That is exactly what would make us all powerful consumers and help to curb corporate abuses...

So, in the name of research and information sharing, here are the answers to a few of your points:

The 9 litres of water to make 1 litre of Coke statistic doesn't actually refer to some kind of direct transference of liquid from one form to another - that would be like magic! Even tho Coke did manage to invent Father Xmas as we know him I don't reckon even they could make 8 litres of water disapear into thin air
Nah... the water doesn't magically disapear - it is used in the industrial process of making Coke: the cleaning of bottles & machinery, the cooling process etc.

Yes, the Bottling Plant Managers in Colombia are defendants in a miami based Court case under the Alien Tort Act. The CocaCola Company were also initially named as defendants and may well still have to stand (at the moment this is in the appeal stage).

And it's not us who has the problem directly with the Sweat Shop conditions - it is the workers themselves who have been attempting to form unions to protest about working conditions. The response of the management (to allow paramilitaries into the workplace to assasinate union members as they work, to write death threats on the internal walls of the plants etc.) has crushed the unions there, leaving the workers with no voice. It is for this reason that it is vitally important for us to show solidarity with these workers and to give them a voice.

As for a notable dent Magnus,

CocaCola shares have already fallen as "confidence has been lost". I think that is a result already and I think we should keep doing what we can (including research and information sharing) and see what other results we can achieve.

Watch this space.

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
Did anyone else do the egg and coke experiment at school.
Basically you put an egg in coke, and in a few hours it dissolves all the enamel (shell), this is to show how quickly it can disslove the tooth enamel on your teeth.
That should put anyone off really.

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by globallion:
Even tho Coke did manage to invent Father Xmas as we know him
The image they use for Father Christmas is a cross adaptation between the German traditional and the modern Santa. Both out long before Coke took it up. Please tell me you were joking about this statement.
I think Coke's most known "personalities" are the bears that are out around Christmas. They are so damn cute.

Anyway, Astro Fairie, I have used Coke to clean a penny, a bone button and ring for the Yule Punch every year. No matter how gross, soaked overnight they are spotless and shiny in the morning. Having mechanics in my family, I also know it is a trick to get oil and grease off parts. Soak, rinse and voila...almost new. That is why I limit my drinking of all soda's (if you think Coke works well, try JOLT...it is scary!). They are a treat every now and then.

As for the water usage...I grew up near two bottling plants. One for Pepsi, and one for Genesee Valley Wines. My sister and her friends did stints in both. The water used during the heat sterilization after the bottles are washed in a chemical solution is recycled. It is not fresh each time. There are way too many international regulations regarding waterways for corporate purchases to take place. Most of the machines are not water lubricated or cooled, as those are mad expensive. Oil, grease and coolant, just like in your cars. Hydraulics are rarely used in "common" corporate factories, especially those in other not as financially robust countries. Yes, water is used in the process but not fresh water each time and not as much as you think. The price of cleaning and sterlizing fresh river water (which is mucky and dirty) is conciderably higher than to reuse what is already there. I have looked up the statistics on this and the ratio of water used to produce one liter of Coke is actually less than 3 liters, which is alot and concidering it is recycled, is not so monumental.
If you want to take a stand based on environmental issues such as this, look at what they are putting out rather than what they are using. The ratio of crap they not only produce as waste (smoke and liquid) but also use for packaging, and the people who don't care to recycle, is tremendously disgusting. Not to mention those things they use which can not be recycled, such as those plastic rings to hold the packs together and the bottle labels. Those really get me.

My overall belief is that if you are going to boycott something, then boycott for the right reasons. Boycott because the corporation is producing in countries where they know sweatshops occur, not because they have one (because they don't run them directly). That their packaging practices are unsound environmentally. etc....

You are sooooo right about Coke not tasting the same from the syrup, but I like it better because I can control the ratio of syrup to water. I like sasparilla syrup for the same reason, and grenadine too.

LOL...I sound like such a hippy!

Pele

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
well done subeam for bringing this to our attention. Its seems like something very serious indeed. I no its only a rumor but apparently coke has a chem in it that makes you thirstier, and anova that can make some people addicted to it. I dont no if the second one is intentional, but 2 very good mates of mine are, or hav been addicted. no sh*t. Shaughn had withdrawl shakes, cold turkey style. Greg walks round school with a 2litre bottle at all times.
I also wanna say thanks to Pele for doing the level heded thing and scoping it out a bit more, and bringing us some good info.
ive stopped drinking it ages ago, too much sugar for my system, i overload, burn all the energy in my body and crash . tis not pretty....

dammit, my favourite top is a three yr old coca cola hoody. its fits me so comfortably... im gona hav to punkify it now...

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

Toreador VampBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I think you'll find that the drug is caffeine. Try looking at this About Caffeine

Coke, and for that matter Pepsi, is a dehydrant(just like alcohol).

I am sure that their are others here with far more information on this than me.

Vamp
(off to get his next caffeine fix)

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life
-- Terry Pratchett-Jingo

Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it.

globallionmember
9 posts

Posted:
Check it out - Good Ol' Santa was never the solid Red & White character we know and love now until he was the focus of a prolonged ad campaign by Coca-Cola early this century.

Before that, St Nicholas wore green&white with a few red touches and there were variations...

P.S. Sorry if this is disillusioning any of you young innocents out there Please don't stop believing in Santa just cos we're knocking Coke... whatever the old guy is wearing he can still come down the chimney and give you some prezzies (Tho obviously a mini skirt might cramp his chimney sliding style a bit...)

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Boycote Coke.... *sips his Coke* why would I do that?
While parts of what has been said may be true (I think a few people have exagertated along the way) here's how I see it. Columbia is a country where drug lords control the government. and Multinationals control the rest. So those multinationals are basically half the gov. And lets face it unless there is a revolution, the gov can do whatever it wants. Also again may I remind you that this is Columbia we are taking about: If it's not one death squad it will be another.
Yes Coke and Coke products are bad for you. So are Alcohol, Ciggarettes, and Weed. Lots and lots (Billions in fact) of people use one or more of those (including many of my Fellow HoPers). And if I were faced with the choise between a ciggarette habit and a Coca Cola habit. I'd take the Coke. So I'll have to brush my teeth, and go to the gym. Big deal I was going to do that anyway.

*finishes his Coke and goes to get some minute maid orange juice* What? At least that's good for me.....

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
great point dimples!

columbia is f*cked anyway so who cares if coke or the other multinationals use unethical practices there - its not so bad compared to what's going on in the rest of the country so its cool!
i think i might move to zimbabwe cos by this rationale i can wander round shooting whoever i don't like - as long as i'm not as naughty as the government then it's okay

ignorance is bliss ain't it...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

globallionmember
9 posts

Posted:
I think it's important that we demystify the image being put about by western media that Colombia is just one big mess due to drugs. It is this image which is used as a smokescreen to allow human rights abuses to go on for other motivations.

Yes, there is a problem with drugs and Yes, the corrupt government (headed by Alvaro Uribe) has many links with drug barons.

This same corrupt government is receiving massive amounts of military "aid" from the U.S., again using the drugs issue, while it also is uses the money and military equipment and personnel to help implement other goals such as paving the way to massive multinational investment. Colombia is a country rich in natural resources and strategically placed geographically and as such the control of Colombia is of huge importance to the U.S. and to multinational companies hoping to get a secure and beneficial foothold in that region.

The Amazon basin is now the largest single source of oil in the world. This oil is "unconventional oil" which costs more to extract and process than conventional oil - for this reason it is not as appealing to those countries that consume a large amount of oil as the supplies in the middle east. The control of this region will, however, become vitally important over the next decade.

The military "aid" being provided under "Plan Colombia" is being used to clear peasants off the land over these oil resources (again under drug pretexts) in order to move in oil multinationals such as Drummond and Anglo-American.

It is ridiculous to seperate out Multinationals and the Government - Alvaro Uribe's Government uses repression (via his links with rightwing paramilitaries) to open a way for multinational investment.

It is for this reason that the Coke Boycott is so important... within Colombia, the workers who are trying to stand up to multinationals like Coke are vulnerable to government-backed repression and the Colombian government is supported by our governments (in early July Tony Blair invited Uribe over to Downing Street to give him more money!).

We fit into the equation as consumers who have the power to exercise our choice according to our conscience.
By choosing not to drink Coke we are sending a message of solidarity to the workers in Colombia who are up against so much... as Dimples says:
"If it's not one death squad it will be another."
If these workers have the courage to stand up against death squads to fight for their rights surely we could change our choice of beverage to back them in that stand.

The CocaCola Co have the power to stop the murders in their Colombian Bottling Plants by withdrawing contracts from managers who are using paramilitary death squads, but they choose not to do so as these murders are allowing them to have lower working conditions and therefore higher profits.
WE CAN SEND THE MESSAGE TO COKE THAT PEOPLE COME BEFORE PROFITS.

Sorry if this has been a bit of a rant... it just gets under my skin when people seem to enjoy being cocooned in their ignorance.
Look at the Global Picture - For some people in this world developing addictions and going to the gym is not all there is to worry about.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I'm not making any sort of political comment here as I try to avoid that on HoP (because I'm like Pele and usually try learning far more about an issue than I have time for before I do say anything), but I do have a couple scientific points to make regarding things mentioned in this thread:

First, caffine is a diuretic. however, the amount of caffine in a coke will make you piss out less water than you actually take in by drinking the coke. this means that, while drinking water will hydrate you more, drinking coke will not actually dehydrate you (unless you are sweating so profusely that you are losing water faster that way than you are drinking cokes)

Second, it is not the syrup that they use in coke or any other soda that is corrosive. For the most part, the carbonated water is responsible. Adding CO2 to water changes its PH by way of changing its KOH content. In soda water, this is taken to an extreme. Carbonated water will disolve most anything made of calcium or related elements, and is also effective at breaking the molecular bonds in oils (such as grease). There are of course other contributions, especially the sugar helping to form plaque on teeth already etched by the carbonated water.

Third, caffine is moderately addictive in a physical sense. It dialates your blood vessles, which is why it can help get rid of headaches (caffine is a major ingredient in many headache pills, and the prime ingredient in large doses in several migrane prevention medicines). However, once you body becomes used to having caffine on a regular semi-continuous basis, it adapts. This means that when you are on caffine, you blood vessels will not be dilated beyond normal. But then when the caffine levels drop in a body used to high levels of it, the blood vessels will constrict to smaller than normal. This can cause persistant and sometime severe headaches. If you have headaches on a regular basis, then it is likely due to physical caffine withdrawl syptoms. I myself would get a headache just after work since I would drink coffee all morning till lunchtime. The caffine would wear off just about the time I was driving home. coupled with having to drive in traffic, this made for much misery. It takes about a week of no caffine to get over the headaches, and then several more weeks for you body to readapt to the way it was before.

caffine can be a very useful drug for both alertness and pain releif, as long as your body is not dependant on it. I still drink coffee, but not like used to. Once I detoxed, I limited myself to a few cups a week, allowing occasional binges when I need to stay awake and alert.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
You may be right Vanize but the issue here is not about caffeine or caffeinated drinks and their impact on our personal health. It's about, as globallion said, using our power as consumers to make ourselves heard and standing up for things we believe are wrong.

I'm not going to reiterate things that have already been written here but please read globallions previous post as it is far more articulate than mine and echos my views. Pele also makes good points re. the environment but that adds to the reasons to boycott, rather than detracting from them, IMHO.

cole

Apathy is soooooooo last week.. get with the programme man

sunny

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by globallion:
Check it out - Good Ol' Santa was never the solid Red & White character we know and love now until he was the focus of a prolonged ad campaign by Coca-Cola early this century.

Before that, St Nicholas wore green&white with a few red touches and there were variations...

P.S. Sorry if this is disillusioning any of you young innocents out there Please don't stop believing in Santa just cos we're knocking Coke... whatever the old guy is wearing he can still come down the chimney and give you some prezzies (Tho obviously a mini skirt might cramp his chimney sliding style a bit...)

(donning announcer voice)
*I'd like to take a minute from your normally scheduled discussion to bring you a christmas in July update*
This is actually not true. "Father Christmas" ( St. Nick, who is a different origin from Father CHristmas, which is different from Kris Kringle) did not wear Green and White until the mid 1300's. Before then he wore White, shimmering and lovely and was thought to be a ghostly, yet angelic, apparition, who actually stemmed from Turkey. In the 1300's the colors were added. In the mid-19th century the green robes were changed for Red, which has a profound meaning in Celtic tradition and so was adapted.
Coca-Cola were not adapted until nearly 3/4 of a century later. If you want to trace this yourself, you can look into the mythos behind Santa, a Germano-Celtic history. The Myths and Traditions of the Winter Solstice, The WInter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas (love this book personally), and a Victorian Christmas.

(I am involved in a Victorian Christmas show during which we had to research the history of Father Christmas so as to not only to help the actor accurately portray him but also to accurately address him. Did you know in Victorian times he was believed to be invisible?)

Yes, coke shortened the coat so you could see his knickers and they exchanged a holy wreath for the boring hat. That's all though.

*and now back to your regularly scheduled discussion. Thank you* (announcer voice off)

Oh well, I still believe!

[ 25. July 2003, 02:56: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
unfortunately, vanize is wrong.

caffein is not the problem with cocacola based dehydration, as it is not a direct in to out ratio. coke causes celular dehydration, simply the waste products coke contains require more water to be removed from one's system than coke contains per unit. this is the same with all sodas, most alcoholic baverages, and a lot of teas and coffees. your body cannot sustain itself on cocacola.

secondly, caffein's main effect is not that of dialating blood vessles (although it does do that well). to a greater extent it blocks adenosine (damn i think it was pineal gland) in the brain and causes the body to believe it is experiencing major brain trauma. following this, a HUGE amount of sugar is dumped from the liver into the bloodstream via a large adrenaline production (yeah, good old fight or flight). caffein also effects the pleasure centers of the brain, giving a slight euphoria (caused by dopamene) meant to help one survive the pain caused by the supposed trauma. the suppression of adenosine leads to overproduction when not drinking caffein, leading to a dependance on caffein to regulate sleep cycles. caffein also depletes the sugar levels in your blood quickly(why most caffein-based sodas have lots of sugar) leading to a relience on caffein to keep regular sugar release(the body begins to horde sugar) and can lead to type 2 diabetes.
the pleasure effects are also mentally addictive.
the effect caffein has on the human brain is much like that provided by cocain (why coke was more popular before that ingredient was removed) and it is recommended that if you are going to use drugs of the sort, you should change which of these drugs you use on a ragular basis.(no I am not toting cocain, the leaves of the coca plant can, in small amounts, be chewed to provide a slight over alertness. natives of south america have done this for hundreds of years without any ill side effects. coca leaves also work well as a headache medicine. it is the same as taking 2 asperine, versus taking a bottle. the purified form of cocain is not good, it will,not can, ruin your life if you use it regularly)

anyway, yust wanted to clarify

[ 25. July 2003, 03:08: Message edited by: Mark1 ]

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
For your info: https://www.caja.org/coke/brands.htm

I'm enjoying watching this debate develop but this topic keeps going off on tangents. The reason I posted this in the first place is because I think that human life and workers' right to stand up for civil rights is a seriously important issue.

Most of us are lucky enough, in the societies in which we live, to have a certain degree of freedom to speak, debate, join unions (without getting assassinated) and protest in whatever way we deem fit/effective. Personally, I don't want to take that right for granted. If we can't hope to achieve change and act on that hope, even in small ways, then we've given up. That, I think, would be too sad for words.

"To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Non-Https Image Link

sunny

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sunbeam, however, COKE did not approve the assasinations. That is dealing in different country regulations. When dealing in foreign corporate affairs, locally we have little to say. When boycotting on a company it is important to boycott for things that can be changed. Where is the Coke in your area bottled? If you get a great boycott on Coke going in your area, then it is more likely you will be putting the manufacturing plant IN YOUR AREA, and all those people, out of commission rather than one in a country on the other side of the globe.
Boycotts tend to work on companies without such a wide backing, Coke, I do not think would feel it.
I strongly urge, in addition to your boycott if you so desire, to take other more activistic approaches. Boycotts are passive by nature. A publicized group event, letter writing, petitions, while not highly regarded, are at least letting your specific concerns be heard.
This thread, though tangentized just reiterates how bad this stuff really is for you, which is in your favor in the end.

Pele

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
then again, world domination probably does go well with coke!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Pele, thanks for your comments. This is an international campaign which the boycott is only a small part of.

FYI:

"The ‘Hector Daniel Useche Beron Popular Public Hearing Against Impunity : SINALTRAINAL DEMANDS JUSTICE’ declared the International Boycott against Coca Cola and others for the following reasons:_-

For the violation of the human rights of workers and communities.
For the profits made on the back of assassinations, imprisonment, displacement, kidnapping, death threats and dismissals of trade union leaders in Colombia, Guatemala, Peru, Brazil, the United States, Venezuela, Palestine, Turkey, Iran and other parts of the world.
For the contamination of water sources with the waste from their bottling plants.
For racial discrimination against black communities and those suffering from AIDS in the United States and Africa._
For using coca to make its products and its support of the criminal policies of the United States against communities whose culture and survival depends on coca leaves, especially in Bolivia, Peru and Colombia.
For its unfettered use of the world’s water and the criminal theft of water sources from communities in India.
For supporting the criminal oligarchy in Venezuela which is attacking the government and its plans to bring dignity into the lives of the people of our sister Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, as well as for its historic interference in the internal affairs of peoples.

The boycott will commence on 22 July 2003 and will initially be for one year. The Second World Social Forum declared 22 July 2003 as the international day against Coca Cola. The boycott will not only consist of NOT CONSUMING THE PRODUCTS OF THIS TRANSNATIONAL COCA COLA, but will also mark the start of a sustained campaign of condemnation, mobilisation and struggle against its policies. In order to realise the declared boycott, we will undertake the following plan of international action:

On 11 February 2003, a proposal for integral reparation was delivered to Coca Cola along with signatures and a political declaration from the three sessions of the APP. We are hoping that the transnational will organise the relevant meetings with SINALTRAINAL in order to come to an agreement which enables us to resolve the problems we have denounced.

On 22 July 2003, there will be a press conference in Rome, Chicago and Bogota in which the start of the boycott will be announced to the world. In countries where it is possible to have access to the press, we ask comrades to do the same simultaneously.

There will be demonstrations, meetings and mobilisations in each of the cities in which Coca Cola has plants. At the entrance to each bottling plant there will be a stall distributing a massive amount of literature denouncing Coca Cola_s activities. It has been suggested that in the different cities there should be memorial galleries."

(Taken from https://www.colombiasolidarity.org.uk)

Non-Https Image Link

sunny

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
there was an active event for the launch of the campaign against coke in central london on tuesday.

i think the point of this campaign is that coke have done absolutely nothing to try to protect the people working for it - and yes, it is by subcontract, but a multinational has an obligation to ensure that its subsidiaries and subcontractors operate in a fashion in-line with the company's overall ethos.
if there are problems with production (and workers getting killed is a pretty big problem, regardless of whether it actually affect numbers or not), they should investigate and take appropriate action.

i agree wholeheartedly with pele's point on local production though.
how can coca-coca possibly link a drop in the sales of it's licencee in the uk (schweppes i believe?) with the issue in colombia...?
active protest is the way to go imho.
(and thank-you for the santa info pele )

i never did drink coke anyway. i like diet pepsi myself.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood