Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
I've been working on a lot of contact poi, foot poi, and even some foot contact poi recently. This includes the halo (with one poi), reverse fishtails, inverted fishtails, poi kickups, foot fishtails and kickups into hand fishtails.. all with poi..

Playing with some new catches and throws has been good fun. Got btb-throw to bth-catch down quite well.. playing with some other plane-change throws as well as just trying to get the hang of throwing different types of throw with each hand, simultaneously.

using airwraps to change plane is a pretty crazy field, but its good fun.

and forever expanding my knowledge of plane-changey-ness.. thats awesome..

I'm feeling somewhat inclined to stick up a foot poi demonstration video. not quite a how-to video, but something that'll help. I've finally got my video camera back, so time to start filming tongue2

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I got some really nice transitions. After opening up utl movement for myself I just gained a whole new level of flow grin

I also figured out that I can do an orbital from a meltdown by in the middle of it, the one that's behind me goes under my legs (oh yeah) and tangles with the one in front and I pull. And BAM! instant crowd pleaser. Told my girlfriend about it, using explanations of the orbital because she doesn't know the names, and she told me never to do that with fire, she needs my junk lol2

Also a combo combining utl with the uta crosser where the hand at the bottom goes utl from the front, cross to the back from the side, and back utl from the back that time.

I've recently found a new level of flow for me around the time I got my girlfriend, I have a theory that she cleared my mind making me better. (possibly good thread topic) Also I've been using a lot more stalls, crossers, turns, and utl things than before.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
That foot stuff looked quite interesting in the video you posted. I have practiced most of the throw combos so now I'm diverting into negative space stuff and am also practicing atomic plane changing especially in staggered timing.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I just did a couple dozen pretty clean spiral wraps. I can do spiral wraps!

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: leospoiThat foot stuff looked quite interesting in the video you posted. I have practiced most of the throw combos so now I'm diverting into negative space stuff and am also practicing atomic plane changing especially in staggered timing.
What is negative space please?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
In artspeak, negative space with respect to a figure or figures is the space around those figures, all the area on the canvas they do not occupy (often with the emphasis being the part of it immediately surrounding the figure). I imagine it would apply to utl/inverted/under arm stuff, though I suppose only Leo can clarify for sure what he means by it.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1265452398)
EDIT_REASON: typo

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
In poi and juggling in general negative space refers to making a hole using your body and/or props and then manipulating that hole or sticking something through the hole.

For example extend one arm forwards and stall the other poi head on that arm and then you just have made a hole with your poi and arm, you can then pass the other poi through that hole or stick your leg or other body part through the hole or whatever you can imagine. Holes can be created with the whole body (arms, foot, legs, shoulder, neck, etc.) and even the poi by themselves can be headlocked to create a hole.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I get it now

Sounds hard o0

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
After watching Poiboys tech blogs, I got inspired to learn split time isolation/antispin hybrid. It's aweseome.

Same as isolation/extention hybrid but in butterfly. So Isolating one poi, and then other hand following the head of the other poi to make the antispin... It's teh fun.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

2,280 posts

Posted:
Is it antispin as in a cateye? Or do you mean like a trifoil-isolations hybrid with hands in same time? I can do those, except the trifoil one my hands have to be in split time.

AkeluGOLD Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
Just thought id post a list of all the moves i know, in the order i learnt them (more or less)

POI:
2 beat weave forward
2 beat weave reverse
3 beat weave forward
3 beat weave reverse
5 beat weave forward
Butterfly
BTB butterfly OTH
Thread the needle forward
Thread the needle reverse
Fountains
Corkscrew
Stalls
Windmill
Giant windmill
watermill
buzzsaw
butterfly reverse
Spirals
Flowers
Flowers antispin
Huggy Crossers same direction
Huggy Crossers butterfly
Buzzsaw fountains + antispin
Full body crosser
Guy's Gyroscope
Parallel Pirouette
Split time butterflys
Split Pirouette
Opposite Pirouette
Horizontal butterfly
Horizontal thread the needle
mind meltdown
waist wrap
BTB waist wraps (left side)
BTB waist wraps (right side)
3 beat BTB weave reverse
Isolations
5 beat weave reverse
wall plane antispin flowers
4 beat corkscrew
4 beat fountain
1.5s
cat eye
butterfly split time mirror floaters
btb waist wrap back and forward
High reels + turning both directions
low reels + turning both directions
Wiggle
2 beat btb weave forward
Triquetra both directions + switching
3 beat btb weave forward
btb 3 beat weave turning
inversions
butterfly buzzsaw cap
Huggy crossers turning
Basic CAP extension/antispin
Same time stalls wall plane
Split time stalls wall plane
Stall plane changing
BTB 5 beat weave forward
floaters
one handed butterfly
CAP hybrids
split time butterfly floaters wallplane
Waist wrap
Stall carrover variation

Wraps:
Single bicep wraps
Single forearm wraps
Leg wraps
Alternate forearm wraps
shotguns
Sun Wraps
Double bicep wrap
neck wraps
Knee wraps
Arm traces
Knee traces
moon wraps
pirouettes
Huggy crosser sametime/butterfly switches
btb foot wrap(from bicep and back)
double side leg wrap
airwrap
Buzzsaw to butterfly buzzsaw
bicep through wrap
neck through wrap

Manipulations:
Double catch
link catch
Bowtie
Reverse direction mid air (sametime hit string near stick)
Double catch toss switches
double catch toss switch loop in inside spin to orbit
catch up high toss loop in orbit
Orbit
Orbit continuance
Orbit exit
Hyperloop
Ollies
Butterfloop

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitOr do you mean like a trifoil-isolations hybrid with hands in same time?

No idea what that is tongue2

Basicly, if you think of standard isolation/extention hybrid where the extention hand follows the head of the isolated poi which is split time same direction. It's basicly that, but poi in opposites. So hands are moving same direction, well the 1 that would be doing extention, with poi in opposites.

I suppose the easiest way of describing it is if you think of doing a triuetra, the hand that would be doing the extention is isolated, and instead of 3 petals, you do 4, well, you could do 3 if you wanted.

So left hand isolated, right hand following the head of left hand with the poi spinning opposite for the antispin.... If that makes sense.
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1265528550)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

2,280 posts

Posted:
Now I know what you mean, and yes, that is fun ^^

Probably my favorite hybrid and I am finally getting to learning to do it in every way possible

As for the trifoil-isolation hybrid, here you go:

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
I think the shortest way to describe what TSA was getting at is a isolation/antispin antibrid.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitNow I know what you mean, and yes, that is fun ^^

Probably my favorite hybrid and I am finally getting to learning to do it in every way possible

As for the trifoil-isolation hybrid, here you go:

Ahhhh I know what you mean now, and that looks like what I have been doing... I suck at names, confusion over.

Originally Posted By: ReVoI think the shortest way to describe what TSA was getting at is a isolation/antispin antibrid.

Antibrid?
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1265637999)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh that's what you've been doing. No I can't do that yet, I don't have any poi at the moment other than my stretchy ass foxxy poi and they suck nuts for that.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I'm being thick (looked at the video yesterday and posted last night when at work where youtube and everything else is blocked (hence all the stupid paint pictures).

I don't have that one down yet.

This is what I have recently learned

I guess that's an easier way to talk about it without all the mumbojumbo from before tongue2

Oh and if your looking for new poi, I highly recomend these, they are what I first bought and still use them every day nearly. They are sterdy material with no stretch, but soft on the skin, and for stuff like orbitals and that, when they have been worn in, they can spin for ages (not quite as long as swivels, but more than most socks i have played with). Plus if you have glow balls or something you can put them in and they will shine through.

https://firetoys.co.uk/juggling/Speevers_Sock_poi.html

(Sorry HoP for linking another shop, message me or mod delete if it's out of order)
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1265620833)

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
An antibrid is simply a hybrid were one hand is following the head of the other poi. As far as I understand.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Following the head of the other poi while that one is antispining?

So left hand isolate, right hand antispin, right hand following left poi head, yea?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
As far as I know. smile

There are a whole bunch of them though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Learned split time butterfly antispin wallplane flower turns, and carrying the Nevisoul prayer hand thingy into a windmill. Meltdown pirouettes, and a number of other turns.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oooh, Nevisoul Prayer Hand thingy, by far my favourite name for it ever in the history of ever. I learned to go everywhere with it, I love that move. I also learned to go everywhere with the huggie isolation over the head thing. Except it's not always over the head anymore for me tongue2 I also learned to add extra beats to it like a 4bt windmill, but it gets rid of a lot of the beauty I think.

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Also seen it called beatswitch. Try it also from side to side and at a diagonal angle. it makes all sorts of interesting visual effects.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Which one is called the beatswitch, I was never quite sure about that. I do do both of them to different spots. If it's the huggie isolation thing, than I already do that side to side diagonal thing, it feels so nice smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I think it's the prayer hand thing that's called a beatswitch.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, I was never sure what to call it. Beatswitch, lockout, Jesus hand, everybody clap your hands!, super happy fun time, or just hand thing tongue2

laugh3 But really, yay I know the name grin

Also I realized I never put it on here. I learned it quite a while ago. Not really sure how long ago, but the antispin 4x4 fountain.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I never did figure out an antispin 4x4. VIDEO. NOW.

2,280 posts

Posted:
haha, idk of a video made for it, when I am able to go outside and fid something to put the camera on, because I am still at a lack of tripod, I'll get that along with my fun noname waistwrap type thingy that I made up.

Also, try butterfly beatswitches, they look really cool smile

Edit: I should also add, I learned to do splittime same direction stalls behind my back and I love it grin
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1266983150)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Already tried the butterfly beatswitches, split- and together-time. They are creamy.

Can you break down the antispin 4x4 in description? I was honestly racking my brain over this one for the longest time, and I never could get a version below five beats and figured fewer couldn't really be done. (Actually, I forget how I managed to make it five beats. Kind of a weird number in retrospect.)

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
I haven't really dwelved into the antispin 4x4 fountain whole-heartedly, but from what I've played around with the idea, I'm beginning to think it would be a lot like two antispin weaves stuck together. You know, like how the original 4x4 is just two 2-beat weaves stuck together with one of the transitions being behind the head. I don't even know if it's fully possible, but if it is, it might be a lot like that except with anti-spin weaves.

The way is came up to this conclusion was through buzzsaw fountains. It's easy to do a antispin buzzsaw fountain where both poi do four beats. The only difference between a buzzsaw fountain and a regular one (aside from the poi being inside your arms) is that in a regular one the hands go through a weaving motion. Winding on one side, opening to neutral in the middle, winding the other hand on top the on the other side, and the opening to neutral again in the middle. there is ofcourse the factor of them going behind your head, but I think that can come later once it's been figured out how to do it in general.

And because the poi are going split-time while the hands are going same-time, it automatically follows that one poi has the downbeats when the arm is on a horizontal or vertical wallplane-axis (down, left, up and right), while the other poi has the beats in between those on the diagonal lines on the wallplane. Or you could think of it as the placing of the petals in the fountain pattern. One poi is doing a 5-petal flower pointing down, the other is doing the same pointing up, mounting up to a symmetrical 10-petal flower.

So, going from those ideas and trying t figure how it would work out, I'm finding that the way one hand has to dodge the other poi in certain places feels a lot like the antispin weave, with which I'm totally not comfortable yet.

But all this is mostly me just brainstorming, and I could be horribly wrong on all of this (If I find out that's the case, I'll correct myself.. And anyone else is free to do so aswell.). I too would like to hear if you managed to get the 4x4 antispin fountain in a much simpler form than what I've been runnning into, SoD. It would be very much releaving if you did, lol..

Page: ......