protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
What were you like before you started spinning poi?Are you different now than you were before? Can you attribute any change to your new hobby/obsession?I'm more aware of simple, previously undefined but important physical truths. There's something about the combination of gyroscoping motions and centrifugal force that feels familiar and simple, yet intensely universal now.I'm more immediately aware of a spiritual connectedness with an ecstatic, visionary energy that motivates people to dance when they dance as though no one's watching.These two things have prompted immense changes in me and in the way I see my friends, my conspirators in fire twirling, and the general motion of humanity. I'm more immediately aware of a deep and abiding respect for the people I work with and teach. I think I give praise more easily and readily than I ever have before. And I haven't been less generally cynical about things since I was a little kid.What say you, fellow traveller?-protie[This message has been edited by protozoa (edited 02 June 2001).]

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i'm different.way more confident and what you said about giving and receiving praise easier is definitly true. i use to never know what to say when i got complemented.i dont really know now either, but i accept it better.and if someone is good, i'll tell them.

evenstarmember
36 posts

Posted:
ever since using poi, i've grown a lot more aware of using my body in performing arts, less self-conscious about it (boy was i shy when i first started!), and definitely loved the synchronisation of the centripetal force of the pois, and it as an extension of what my body was doing... increased fluidity of movement.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring.
TOLKIEN

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
yeah, i think its changed me somewhat. its definatly made me more aware in the eyes of my peers, but thats not the only thing. before whenever i whould try to dance (don't get me wrong i am a pretty good dancer wink ) but something always felt wrong. i think by learning poi, its like evenstar said, it's increased my fluididity and movement which in turn has filled that gap. personally overall, before i started poi, i just think i was less interesting, and had more spare time on my hands. grin------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
My world changed when I discovered poi. I am more focused and hard working towards other goals I have set for myself. I am a more joyous person now. So much tension has been released by breaking free and dancing like no one is watching, when EVERYONE is watching! My spirit smiles! smile------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
yeah I've changed - but then again each day changes me, opens my eyes - becomes more real.I thought one of the Leary's quoted that last comment and not Edgar whozathing...

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think doing Poi and Staff swinging, has introduced me to the movement-for-its-own-sake rather than movement for purpose, which is what I had already from Martial Arts.(although I guess it all has a purpose, even if the purpose is simply moving smoothly..)I think it has definitely given me an appreciation for the meditative aspects of repititous movement / circular movement. through this I can let go of things more easily, and accept things more easily (just like a poi going round). My mind is just a hand holding a bunch of chains, my thoughts are the poi, swinging somewhat freely smileWhat a joy it is to be healthy smileJosh

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
I think I am more of a whole human now that I spin. Kinda like poi was that one thing that I was lacking. I think I have a much better sense who I am now that I have a release like spinning with which to vent with.I donno, Its kinda hard to explain.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

edlomember
21 posts

Posted:
In addition to everyone's posts, poi has been an excellent outlet to express myself creatively and has allowed me to overcome shyness. It's also allowed me to challenge myself physically and mentally. I go through similar emotions and mental states as when playing golf, snowboarding or bodyboarding.Praise to poi and everyone on this site!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
How about if I answer this from before I started performing, since poi hasn't changed me all that much because I added it to a pre-existing performance repetoir.I was really withdrawn and hateful. I spent all my time listening to the tv or music for company, reading and writing occassionally hanging with the few friends I had and as far as I was concerned everyone else could fuck off, and I told them so. I was really not nice at all. That was 10 years ago.Then I went to college and where I had been picked on for being a freak, I wasn't so much anymore. My college theater program was rigorous to say the least and the director was a battle-axe. It was wonderful for me focus wise but I hated stage so I still wasn't happy. I was still withdrawn and extremely self-conscious and shy, but not nearly as nasty.Then I discovered interactive improv theater and fell in love. I could slide into a character for 6 to 9 hours a day, completley become that person and escape, per se. I loved it. I was able to see things from more perspectives, identify with a larger group of people and so began to empathize much more with others. I added singing, dancing, stage fighting, oral fire and eventually poi into the mix. Each has allowed me to explore my creative self more. Each imbibes with me with a bit more self-confidence, because I don't have much in the way of that. Each allows me to push and explore my own trepidations and press beyond them. I enjoy that challenge in particular.Since I took up performing professionally I have a better outlook on everything. I think that everyday is a blessing and the world is really beautiful. I think poi itself has allowed me to push my body harder in ways that I didn't think I could, as I normally did very little dealing with my upper body at all. The physical benefits are obvious, and beyond health I have a greater awareness about my body, it's limits, it's likes and dislikes. I think though that it's working with the fire that really gets me. Anyone who has seen me knows I have this passion for fire, this respect and love affair with it really. I find fire to be calming and transfixing and therefore, so is poi. I think more clearly when I am done spinning. I usualy have that happy tired feel that makes me believe I accomplished something good, at least good for me, after a nice spin. Bad spins are a whole nother story! smile In the end I am so much more positive, the person you all "know" now, instead of the wretched little bitch I was before.Of course, many things have shaped the progression in my life to form me into who I am, but performing and poi are definately part of that. ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 05 June 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
Wow Pele. that'z deep. i would love to say that poi has effected me THAT much but unfortunatly i can't. yes it has changed me for the better, but not really that much yet since i am still a bit of a newbie. as you said that you have changed with it, and obvioulsly grown with it as well, i envy you. don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't be an influence b/c by reading that i think i have a little more inspiration and will to try harder. Obviously you are multitalented smile and in the end it has paid off! wink don't mind me saying it, but you are definatly a role model on my behalf! grin no biggy, though...keep livn' it up! grin PLUR grin------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
spinning poi has opened me into a completely different life-stlye than the one i lived in before. i used to skate, listen to hip-hop and be 100% attitude. I didnt discover poi singly. they came to me when i started to rave, dj and start hanging out at the local circus skills society (which i now help run). poi has led me onto a completely different way of thinking, but i can only assume that i have reach my current level of spirituality by combining poi with loads of good trance/techno, drugs, life experience and (most importantly prehaps tongue ), friends. So for want of a better phrase. I'm a change man. Like Pele, i used to have pent up aggresion( do to being and hanging out with "freaks") which i took out on other people verbally and often physically.but now all i can say is that i've grown into myself. I've found a life-style that suits me perfectly and i'm happier than ever before grin

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
I'm braver, certainly.Nothing really dramatic, perhaps, but playing with fire (and I'd say the changes are more to do with fire than poi, without wanting to get too alchemical) has had the effect that, more than before, I'm prepared to consider an activity which involves a balance of pleasure and risk, and to follow through the necessary practice and self-discipline to achieve the target.Better at deferred reward, perhaps, in that it was really obvious that if i didn't put in a lot of basic practice from the start, any attempt to work with fire was just going to be stupidly dangerous.Self-confidence in knowing that I have the skills to transform something inherently dangerous into something which only (!) requires concentration and practice. Plus the sort of self-confidence that comes from the inner knowledge that, (forgive me for saying this) I do something that is basically cool as "%$£ smile, without ever having to tell anyone about it.Better balanced (that's physically and spiritually), more co-ordinated, more aware, perhaps of my immediate environment (got to spot the cat before you hit it!).But i'd say, generally, more prepared to try something new even if it looks really daunting at first sight.mikeyB

HOP Newsletter