Forums > Other Toys > practice rope dart construction

Login/Join to Participate

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I have a long, fairly soft rope that is about the size of my pinky finger in thickness. It is about 75 feet long so I will need to cut it. How long should the rope dart be? Also, how should I go about making the head? I'm not sure if I should attach something to the rope or tie the end into an elaborate knot. I don't currently use a rope dart nor do I have any experience with one so this will be a non fire, practice one. I'm eager to learn so any and all help will be very much appreciated.

Question everything.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
After a little bit of googling, I've come to the conclusion that a monkey fist knot would probably be best for the head. At what length should I cut the rope to before attempting the knot? How much should a rope dart's head weigh?

Question everything.

fire&dreadsrbadSILVER Member
not a stranger
26 posts

Posted:
ok, soo ive been looking at different rope darts to see how long they are and almost everyone i have seen has been around 12 foot from knot head to tail. so what i wouold do is get on youtube and learn to tie a monkey fist knot(unless you already know how) before u cut the rope cause i cant remember how many feet it take to make the knot. hope this help alittle and good look

"you must burn to learn"

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
A three-bight monkeyfist of 1/2" line tied around a knot in the rope can take up almost 6 feet. Probably you'll want narrower rope than that; using 1/4" line I'd expect it to take 3-4 feet, but leave a little extra until you're done.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
for actual length of the rope (not including the head) I'd recommend about 3m to start off with if you're a beginner, once you are comfortable with that length and have mastered a range of techniques you can move up to longer ropedarts. Longer ropes allow you to do more complicated and impressive moves but the excess rope is difficult to manage as a beginner and gets in the way. My ropedart is 5m long at full length but it took quite a bit of practice to get to that stage. good luck smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up cutting the rope beforehand because trying to tie a monkey fist with a 75 foot long rope was hell. I finally got the knot though. Its a 3 bight and feels like a good weight. I debated on putting something in there for more weight but I'm glad I didn't. The rope dart is about 17 feet long right now so next I'm going to cut it to about 12 feet and tie a 1 or 2 bight monkey fist for the handle. Monkey fists are annoying as hell to tie! Just had to get that out there. I thought about making a meteor too but I really don't want to tie those knots again for awhile.

Question everything.