LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I just found out that quarter time is awesome. Was hoping someone could do a video of some basic->intermediate quarter-time patters so I can "get it" and get inspired. Worth a shot smile

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Well, quarter time ie. spinning Poi at 90° is mostly timing theory
and I think should stay there, opposed to spinning hands at 90°
which fallback to flowers but isn't definitely widely used at all.

ninja

tracerammoGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Quarter time butterfly stuff's easy to pick up. Instead of moving 'up and down' with the butterfly, move it at a 45degree angle. Once you get comfy with that, start to pay attention to how it feels. The feeling of what your hands are doing is close to SD quarter time.

You can anti-spin the QT butterfly (which involves crossing your arms in a kind'a odd way) and also re-direct where your CAPs 'point' so they're in QT as well. It's all super fun.

I'm drawing a blank on any videos for the moment... if I stumble across 'em, I'll hook up the link! grin

The wispering of the wise never entertains the fools...

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
I am definitely interested in quarter time spinning, especially as a music freak, since there are so many correlations between poi and music (4x4 fountain, anyone?)

haven't really explored it yet though, since I'm also interested in about eight bazillion other aspects of poi.

I'd be interested to see a quarter time butterfly... would the poi be meeting in the corners, then? I'm going to have to try this sometime.

good luck with your quarter time adventures. if there aren't any videos out there, make some for us! be a PIONEER!

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

270 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: tracerammoQuarter time butterfly stuff's easy to pick up. Instead of moving 'up and down' with the butterfly, move it at a 45degree angle. Once you get comfy with that, start to pay attention to how it feels. The feeling of what your hands are doing is close to SD quarter time.

You can anti-spin the QT butterfly (which involves crossing your arms in a kind'a odd way) and also re-direct where your CAPs 'point' so they're in QT as well. It's all super fun.

I'm drawing a blank on any videos for the moment... if I stumble across 'em, I'll hook up the link! grin

Thanks!

Make some wink

KaspurGOLD Member
Eternal Student of all things Skill
110 posts

Posted:
@Thirteen Yes quarter time butterflies meet in the corners.

In general I think the most applicable use of quarter time is in Zans Diamond when using a together opposite poi timing.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

270 posts

Posted:
I know how to do that. To me that's not quarter time since they're together time when you start? Quarter timing would be like a move that used the poi in quarter time. Confused

Dave StatikGOLD Member
You cant teach stupid.
106 posts

Posted:
1/4 time is used more to describe your hand positions relative to a 9 square grid in front of you, or a clock face.

with 1/4 butterfly flowers your poi/hands meet between petals in +mode, and on the petals in box/xmode. In either case, your arms should always be at 90 degrees to each other.

a good drill is to hold on arm down, and one to the right or left. stall the bottom poi outward in a horizontal stall to that arm's native side. Simultaneously stall the poi that was off to the side at the start, down in front of you. reverse. practice this a bit. When you get it good, go two steps, so that the poi on the bottom stalls to the side, and then the top, ending 180 degrees from where it started. the poi that originated off to the side, stalls down and then to the other side, 180 degrees from its origin. reverse. rinse repeat.

another good drill is horizontal stacking. youtube it.

270 posts

Posted:
That first exercise is the only one that I came up with on my own. Is hella fun. Youtubeing...

tracerammoGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Here's a video ramble about quarter time ideas n' moves n' stuff.

270 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: tracerammoHere's a video ramble about quarter time ideas n' moves n' stuff.

Thank you! Will be watch this when I get home from work and have poi in my hands. smile

tracerammoGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Dude. This video has some AMAZING 1/4 in it.