Forums > Help! > Sewing my own poi.

Login/Join to Participate

rightasrainSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Could anyone offer advice on how to do the sticthing part of making your own cathedral poi? Possibly a link that explains how to stitch. I'm not sure how much kevlar thread I would need or any of that.

The instructions I will be using are located here, under "Cathedral fold #2 Fire Poi head.". I would like to sew them to hide the metal but have no experience sewing at all.

EDITED_BY: rightasrain (1310952943)

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Do you just want to sew one fold of the wicking over the nut 'round the bottom? It'd be a 5cm / 2" or 6.25cm square and you'd want to do an edge stitch of some kind...

I think at max I'd need 50cm of thread per poi head (I'd be surprised if it took more than 1.5 x the length you're stitching, ie 30cm, but you'll need some free to allow you to move the needle).

You might want to use a double thread for strength, so 2m overall.

However I've sewn a fair bit, keeping stitches even and unknotted might take a little practice - I'd suggest you try with some cheap thread (try a supermarket if no one around you has any) just till you get an idea how it'll go for you.

rightasrainSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Ok Thanks! I will practice first. It's probably easier then i'm making it out to be. I have maybe I have a phobia of sewing.

I found a few sticthing patterns online.

I'll try it and see how it goes.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
I think a basic blind stitch (sometimes also called a slip stitch) as used for hemming would work best. Using a doubled thread would give you a backup in case one breaks down the line, with a double loop I find it much easier to get a secure knot that will catch.

There's lots of YT vids on blind stitch - just ignore the part about only catching 1 or 2 threads with your needle since you're not worried about the look of it, I'd suggest 4 or 5 for strength.

rightasrainSILVER Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks again. Just got the supplies. I will be sewing them tonight smile.