Forums > Help! > First set of fire poi

Login/Join to Participate

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I'm looking into ordering my first set of fire poi. I've been doing a lot of research on fire safety so I can be prepared. I'm definitely not going to be irresponsible about this. Along with the fire poi, I'm getting a fire blanket, metal dunking can, burn balm, fuel bottle and a first aid kit. I'm going to ask my friend if she'll be my fire safety and for my first few times spinning, I'm going to see if her mom would be willing to watch me (she's a nurse). I've been checking out the fire poi on HoP, and my question is: which one would you guys recommend for a beginner? From what I've heard fire poi are a lot heavier then the poi I've been using. Lately, I've been practicing with my chain glow poi to try and get used to a heavier weight while spinning, but I'm not sure how much heavier the heads will be. Should I get one of the light, mediums, or heavy? Is any weight more useful while spinning fire and what weight do you prefer? I know heavier poi would allow for slower more controlled spinning, while lighter poi would be able to be spun faster. I really want to get some fire poi, but I need some tips on where I should start. I'm thinking I'll go with an oval twist chain since it looks like it'll be easier to do orbitals and hyper loops. However, I need some help deciding on weight and type of head. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Question everything.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I prefer heavy poi for a few reasons.

1) The chain adds weight also, if the poi head is too light, to me the spin feels odd.

2) I do prefer to spin slower.

3) The heavier the head, chances are the longer and/or brighter the burn.

If you have the chance to, I would say play around with someone elses fire poi first to see what you like though.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Thank you, meshunderlay. I wish I knew some fire spinners with poi I could use. I plan on showing up to the monthly meetings of the Austin Pyrotechnic Group, but I'm not exactly sure if anyone would let me use their poi, let alone different sizes and weights. The next meeting is about three weeks away so I guess I'll just see what happens then.

On a side note, does anyone know of any reputable websites that sell good fire safety clothing like kevlar hats, gloves, etc.? I have long hair and I am immensely paranoid of setting it on fire. XD

Question everything.

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
As a response to your first question: I prefer the medium poi. I had my first burn a few weeks ago and used the medium sized cathedral heads. They lasted a good amount of time and if you are worried about the weight being an issue practice with the set you buy and it should be close to when you burn. Are you talking about the glow poi balls from here? They are a bit lighter than the mediums if I remember correctly-it's been a while since I picked mine up. As meshunderlay said, if you can practice around with a few different styles and weights it will help immensely but if not I'm sure whatever you get you can get used to.
About the hair-I have medium length hair and was worried about it too. I just put it back in a side braid and made sure it was wet and was just fine.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

fire&dreadsrbadSILVER Member
not a stranger
26 posts

Posted:
ok heres a few things i spin medium cethedral heads because its not to heavy and its not to light with u just beginning its not a bad idea to think smaller flame which even with the mediums the flames will still be plenty big enough. as far as tips on your frist burn dont do it if u dont feel comfy ,just because they r burning doesnt mean your going to get tricks down quicker and only try tricks that u know u can do maybe even do your first burn during the day because the sound from them will be loud and in the day light u will be able to see every thing much better, also i do give u props for thinking safty because that should be your main concern always. one more think as far as your hair goes i have dreads half way down my back but when i spin i stuff them inside a tam just make sure it is not cotten. ok now the most important thing do NOT EVER wet your cloths then put dry over them because if something was to happen and u caught fire the heat from the outter layers would make the wet layers super hot(think of a hotdog steamer) and it would pretty much cook u like a lobster (but with a safty this will never happen)but other than that just respect your poi and they will always treat u right and best of luck

"you must burn to learn"