tonicflowerstranger
3 posts

Posted:
...So, let me get this straight...is the two beat weave basically the same as crossing over in same time but obviously the only difference being split time?
Because I can do it with ease, I'm just a bit hesitant I'm doing the move wrong in general which is really stalling me on trying to learn the 3 beat weave

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Hello friend,

It sounds like you have it down from your description. One arm is going over the other and back, over and back, over and back... The other arm is going under and back, under and back, under and back in split time.

You will want to be able to do this with either arm going over top the other first, and also do it backwards, either arm going over top the other first. This will enable to you turn your body while spinning the poi.

check out the two beat tutorial and all others here.
https://www.playpoi.com/learn/poi-beginner-series

Chances are, I love you.
Sean

Groovy

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
It's not exactly at the same time. I think as far as beats go, it's Under arm across, over arm across, under arm uncross over arm uncross.

fire&dreadsrbadSILVER Member
not a stranger
26 posts

Posted:
under arm across over arm across would be the three beat but even still not that much different but yeah anytime u learn a trick u should learn it with both arms and forward and reverse

"you must burn to learn"

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:

Originally Posted By: meshunderlayIt's not exactly at the same time. I think as far as beats go, it's Under arm across, over arm across, under arm uncross over arm uncross.

Originally Posted By: fire&dreadsrbadunder arm across over arm across would be the three beat but even still not that much different but yeah anytime u learn a trick u should learn it with both arms and forward and reverse

Eh, what was was saying was whichever arm goes under is the underarm, and which ever is over would be the overarm.

In my example I could replace under and over with left and right, and have "Leftarm under across, Right arm over across, left arm uncross, right arm uncross."

But yea, it's always important to learn tricks every which way you can.

tonicflowerstranger
3 posts

Posted:
WHEW. Thanks everyone for the feeeedback!! I feel completely confident now. I guess my big issue is not being able to watch what I'm doing exactly which always makes me a wee bit nervous..Also I learned RELAXING!!! is a huge factor in conquering the move. The more I think, the less I can do...the less I think the more I can do..and once I do BAM it becomes like a habit, and a very theraputic feeling runs over me and I'm awsome for a second until I hit myself in the face. lol.

still having a bit of trouble doing it backwards(who doesnt) and of course using the nondominant hand when crossing for the two beat weave..but hey, that's what practice is for anyways

Can't wait for the 3 beat weave...probably come prowling through this website again asking for some feedback [:

Thanks all!

fire&dreadsrbadSILVER Member
not a stranger
26 posts

Posted:
o ok sorry man i see what your saying lol

"you must burn to learn"

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Word. If you can work on 2 beat weave with Either hand as the top hand, you will find to smoothly transition between 2 beat with right hand on top to 2 beat with left hand on top, turns into a 3 beat... If that makes sense.... lol

tonicflowerstranger
3 posts

Posted:
meshunderlay:

what exactly is the difference? If you wouldnt mind explaining it to me..I have watched several videos but none of them really helped me in figuring out what I need to do in order to complete it..I always end up in tangles. haha

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
A two beat weave is pretty much: Cross Cross Uncross Uncross.
If you stop there, your arms should be on their proper sides.
A three beat weave starts similarly, Cross Cross, but there is where the difference is, when you uncross your first arm, you leave the other arm where it is (across the body) and then recross the arm you just uncrossed on top of the already crossed arm....
This is for a forward 3 beat.... I may have made that sound more complicated than it is, I'm sorry if I did that hehe.

Also, if you can look down, during a 2 beat, on each side you will have 2 down beats, and for a 3 beat 3.

edit: Also, for a 3 beat each arm is doing this: One beat on the correct side, two beats on the opposite side.