adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I just got my first Levi Stick today and I've been playing around with it a little bit (its the one off HoP). Is there a certain way I should be gripping it? Or any way that will make it easier? If anyone could share with me the different ways you grip it, I would very much appreciate it. grin There aren't very many tutorials, but from what I've seen, it looks like a lot of fun. ^^

Question everything.

MowgliiPassion Flow
16 posts

Posted:
I loop it around my thumb, and then when rotating my wrist, I wrap it around my middle and index finger, which I then use for more control. It makes it alot easier to shorten and lengthen the thread by wrapping around those two fingers, because when you want to unwrap you can simply slip it off, without dropping it, because the thread is looped on your thumb, rather than the rest of the fingers used for wraps and control.

^_^ im terrible at explainations, I hope this was helpful!

**Mowglii**

ThelemicPotterSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
Remove that loop and dump it. Use just a single continuous loop through the stick, no need for the finger loop. This will facilitate passing of the thread between hands and open up a wide range of moves.

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
The two grips you want to get use to the most is an outside thumb wrap grip and ring finger grip. The reason being is that your thumb will be doing the most movement in passing and wrapping an your ring finger is both further away than your middle for fast wraps, like out of under the leg tricks and stronger and locks better than your pinky for consistency and comfort.

Most flow artists tend to have the ring looped around the middle finger. But I agree with ThelemicPotter in that you should get rid of the loop ring and get used to a continuous loop now if you ever want to do advanced tricks and passes.

If you are just starting, having the string fall between your middle and ring finger is usually the easiest way to start. Although I suspect by now you have gone past that point. This point is for newcomers visiting this thread.

I highly recommend getting used to long string wands sooner rather than later. I really hope to see double and quadruple linked flow wands enter the flow artists realm. Sadly magicians are getting lazy these days and not progressing the dancing cane further than they could.

Back to grips:
Thumb grip - looped over thumb.
Index, middle, and ring grips should be obvious.
Open grip - loop kept open by your thumb and ring (or middle) largest consistent opening for passes.
Out-wrap thumb grip - wrapped around and ending over the thumb.
In-wrap middle grip - wrapped and ending over the middle finger.
'viper' between the hook of the thumb and ring. Usually mid wrap or over the head tricks.
Wrist or palm wraps - usually when the wand is wrapped around the body and the other hand is used to do a quick trick and send it back.
horizontal levi - looped over opposite thumb to levitate from center.
end levi *fav* - an out-wrap thumb grip with middle finger on tip to allow the levistick to levitate horizontally (actually anything but vertical) thumb above the wand/cane.
center levi - looped around both hands to allow the wand/cane to float in the center and the you can use the outer strand to 'kick' and play with the wand.
There are about 20 more, but I feel that ppl change those so much that there isn't a standard in the magic, flow arts, or performance dance world to warrant the time to post them here. Maybe if someone wishes to write a instruction book or create a DVD video encyclopedia of flow wand move. I will share what I know there.

Hope this helps out new flow wand, dancing cane, floating baton, levi-stick, and similar artists starting up out there. smile

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
Wow, thank you so much ShadowlessTyger! That was extremely helpful. I didn't really expect anyone to reply to this again. Yes, this thread is fairly old, so I have progressed to the point where I'd say I'm fairly decent with the flow wand. I don't typically wrap up anymore as I am trying to get better at longer strings. I am going to try that thumb and ring finger open grip though! I've been doing it with my middle finger. :3 You sound like you know quite a bit about flow wand play. Have you ever thought of making any tutorials on HoP or youtube? Unfortunately, there are very few instructionals on flow wand practice. You'd be doing the flow community a great service. How long do you recommend a string to be? Mine is still fairly short even with open grip, so I'm going to buy some fishing line and make it longer.

Question everything.

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
Beginner Flow wands: Hand span past half length. Close enough to stall but long enough to get around.

Magician's cane: Looped (no knots) at 3/4 length to facilitate certain two handed levitations.

Long string is considered anything past 1 full wand/cane/staff length, usually 30 inches or 75 cm.

Loopers/Hoopers or ambidextrous passers will make theirs a little less than wing span but never use the full length.

Double wand (Linked) length is your height if you pass it behind you (magicians) and your height minus your shoulders if you are a front passer (spinners).

The longest I'd recommend (usually rope dart and hammer spinners) is about 1.5 your arm lengths, unless you are very quick at hand wraps.