Forums > Help! > what size staff is appropriate for my size?

Login/Join to Participate

misstastystranger
2 posts

Posted:
Im rather new to staff, and my friend gave me her old one. its 4"7" and i am 4"11". i want to order a new staff that is lighter, considering im a begginer. what would be a good size for me? As i would like to learn a lot of moves, which the staff i have now is heavy, and is sorta hard to manipulate. thanks.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a good length for contact staff work. smile

Most things I have read suggest between shoulder and head for a single staff. Mine is just less than chin high. I am not very proficient at this though.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

CyricxGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
I've always used the measurement up to the chin for a good length and that seems to have worked very well. Of course as you get more proficient you may desire a shorter or longer one depending on the type of complex motions you like. smile But floor to chin level is a good place to start.

US Performer liability insurance run by performers. Why pay more then you have to?

WeAreSafe.org

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
longer staffs have more balance and less speed for contact and shorter ones are more conducive to spinning / doubles.

My Contact staff is about shoulder height or a bit under.

To be fair though best length is the one you feel comfortable with. if you find the wick hits the floor when passing behind your back you may need a shorter one grin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

misstastystranger
2 posts

Posted:
hm. thanks for the feedback guys. I'm trying to think of an easier way, besides spending all this money on a staff. Do any of you make your own?

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
I will be trying to find materials to make my own sometime when I'm not working. Here are some directions on how to make one: [Old link] You will have to scroll down a little bit to find the staff one. You can also search the internet and find some things on other sites. Hope this helps =)

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I have made my own but unless you plan to make quite a few the cost of sticks out there is comparable to the cost of making just 1 fire staff yourself.

practice sticks are easy and cheap to make - broom handle cut to length add grip of your choice and I suggest rubber tyre inner tube split and wrapped around the ends to give the same weight as wicks.

or metal tube of your choice, gripped with rubber wound round the top or kevlar if you want a fire stick, be warned kevlar's a bugger to cut wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

OuchStaffBRONZE Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
the best way you can find your apropiate size is by experimenting! tongue2

make some practice staves yourself and then try diffrent sizes

I'll tell you how I've made it. I just went to a local bike repair shop asked if they had any inner tubes they wanted to get rid of and if i could have some

You need to get 2 that are the same and one extra that doesn't realy matter much.

then go to your local hardware store and buy a piece of wooden dowel (aka round piece of wood) of your prefered size. (get several lenghts so you can try out diffrent lengths, or get the longest you think you'd be comfortable with and then if you think it's too long you can cut a piece of it tongue2 )

and buy some grippy tape at yer sports store.

you'll also need some ductape and colored isolation tape to decorate it

you start by cutting of the vents on the inner tubes and cutting them open (either with a knife of scissors, I recomend the scissors) do that with all your tubes.

now mark the exact center of your staff with a bit of tape.

then put a bit of ductape on the end and tape it on the end of your stick then just wrap it around the stick as tightly as possible and secure it with ductape.

do this with both sides. if you are happy about the weight then you can start decorating if not cut the 3rd innertube in half and wrap in around the stick next to the other ones.

still not happy add more or remove a bit

remember the bit of tape you put in the center? now you can wrap the grippy tape around that but make sure you remember where the center is and then put another bit of tape on it so you know where the center is.

try to balance your stick by adding extra ductape to the ends till is nice and balanced

and then you can start decorating just remember to keep it balanced.

anyways I hope I didn't confuse you too much and good luck!

EDITED_BY: OuchStaff (1308667074)

Ouch o.O