Forums > Technical Discussion > Poi toys strictly for learning movements.

Login/Join to Participate

AustinkthxSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Hey, I've been doing poi on and off for about 4 or 5 years now. I'm just now getting back into it on a much more higher level. I'm relearning older moves relatively easier and on my way to learning more. The problem is my heavy poi. I'm looking for a good set of poi that is just for strictly learning the new hand movements and getting your brain to adjust to them. I currently have 2 baseballs in long socks =P and LED balls. I need something soft and easy on the nuts when a collision occurs. Thanks. Austin. =]

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
If you are talking about really cleaning up your technique and want to buy, not make, I'd vote for something like these:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Pendulum-Contact-Poi-with-72mm-Balls

thomas used to sell some poi through Salza that were small and really aimed at precision points, but I dont seem to find them anymore except at his own site: Nevisoul
https://www.nevisoul.com/nevisoul/Gear.html

You'll have to see if they are still being produced. I tried something like them once and they were really fun and light.

either of those 2 designs is pretty easy to replicate on your own, if you are so inclined.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

AustinkthxSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I was looking for something a little bit more along the lines of..

I'm interested in the contact juggling ones mainly because you said it cleans up technique. How does it clean up the technique though? Why not something else?

Kerosene_FalconSILVER Member
fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
try tennis balls in long socks, they still hurt but not as much as baseballs

Of course my horse is clumsy he has two left feet

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Instead of balls use uncooked rice in small plastic bags - you can set your own weight, and vary it easily and because the rice moves it doesn't hurt nearly as much if you hit yourself.

I've seen people suggest flour or water in balloons, but I think that has too much mess potential if the bag / balloon should break. Other small grains would presumably work as well, or coarse sand.

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
@austinthx
the fixed length cord and good weighting of contact poi in time will improve technique, socks and their slightly stretchy nature can throw off precision moves ever so slightly. This is not to say that sock poi are bad in any way, I still keep a set of sock poi to play with sometimes for their own characteristics but contact poi have long been my preference. Contact poi also give you access to lots of other move groups and there is a lot of innovation coming from top level spinners using contact poi, for example

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire