Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

MelissaRhaeI have dibbs on Zack Attack
11 posts

Posted:
I am working on my 5 beat weave also. people make it look so easy.

I am not smiling because I am happy... I am smiling becasue you have all finally driven me insane!

Bam_BamBRONZE Member
Raver X
15 posts

Posted:
Working on my islations and tring to get flowers down.I am also tring to get my btb back weaves and have a time with it.

philisweatlySILVER Member
life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
overall flow with flowers and turning with them. also, stalls and direction changes. LOVE IT

haha

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Stalls are my fav. I've probably been spending more time on them than I really need to because they're fun and they drive dogs crazy.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I'm currently working on getting my left hand to cooperate with my right, mainly trying to do butterflies with my left hand on top (not going so well but is the least disastrous attempt) a real 3 beat weave consistently (seems that I slip into a 2 beat by nature of favoring my right hand then whack my left side when attempting to include it again) and turns both clockwise and counter clockwise.

I want my sides equally functional so that's the drill currently.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I saw yuta's video from temple of poi 09 and now im working on poi flats, at least thats what they look like. It's like in club juggling where you do a flat. He does a stall to the side and then kind of slides the entire poi down horizontally. Nifty stall variations like that.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I think that they are called floaters. At least that is what I understand a floater to be. wink

And they are well fun.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
floater/cateye/isolation/extension/antispin hybrid, caps, and connections.

I'm trying to figure out every way i can connect my poi to create new and intresting, some times very unexpected paterns.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
This Week, on Sister Eleven: Attorney at Murder--

Working on meltdown/cosmos. Just got it briefly this morning for the first time. Whatever hand is swinging out from my body (i.e. my left hand if I'm spinning anticlockwise in the wall plane) has a hard time making it around without hitting my leg. I figured out how to fix it when practicing with just that hand, but I need to not let it happen when using both hands. I found the rocking motion, which I'd previously not much noted in the videos, helps a lot to keep up momentum and keep plane control.

I'm also working on antispin flowers. My brain flips out on these and keeps struggling to do in-spin. I know the motor control is there in potential, because I can do goofy butterfly flowers with either hand doing the antispin in either direction. I'm approaching it the same way I approached butterfly windmills: holding each position for a few beats, moving to the next one, gradually trying to whittle down the number of beats between the movements. The primary way they fail is my left hand freaks and flips the plane over (so I end up with different direction poi in a chase flower, and same direction poi in a butterfly flower).

(I suppose these are both advanced moves, but there's no analogous thread in the advanced forum...)

AllToreUpSILVER Member
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...
19 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JayKittyI saw yuta's video from temple of poi 09 and now im working on poi flats, at least thats what they look like. It's like in club juggling where you do a flat. He does a stall to the side and then kind of slides the entire poi down horizontally. Nifty stall variations like that.

Have you seen Mel's? So crispy!

@SE: Struggling with antispin flowers here too... So close it hurts haha

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
sister eleven,
i have some tutorials that may aid you with btb weaves and the meltdown.
btb weave

meltdown

I am currently working on btb antispin flowers, and some new tosses

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Oh, nice. Those are some meltdown variations I hadn't seen before. And I WANT THEM.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
What's a 4x4 fountain?

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
Actually Wallplane Flower in general are very great thing which I should get more time into.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Oh! Someone showed me that a couple months back, except they left right away and I could never remember how it was supposed to go! Yay! It's back!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Mostly trying to get triquetras and forward btb weave. Thankfully my meltdown is coming along pretty fast.

Forward BTB weave is tricky just because of plane control issues in that direction--still figuring out the wrist action that will keep it from hitting my leg. But my meltdowns are actually helping with that a lot, so I'm hoping it will click soon.

With triquetras I'm half way there, in that I can do two spins in one hand per extended spin in the other. Getting the antispin motion in there is where I trip up. If I can force my flower hand to start moving, my poi usually bump into each other at the bottom, or my extension slows down enough that it starts to sort of droop. I know conceptually what I'm supposed to be doing, and if I keep my flower super tiny I can do it, so I think it's just practicing and learning to expand it out. As I understand it's basically a thread the needle, but moving in a weird way, so if this isn't wrong I know what I need to work on.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Oh, hey, Re: Triquetras, how do most people do it: point up or point down? It occured to me I'd been trying to do it point down, so I started trying it point up from a split time butterfly and it's been working a lot better.

Also have started playing around with tosses, especially as a direction change. Just at the one-hand phase right now, using my chunky-chained fire poi to practice. I think these will be a lot of fun.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I rarely actually do 'triquatras' with three petals... I usually do 4-5 petals. ^_^

hug

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
That's because you're a show-off tongue2

MisTeRSkiTTleZstranger
2 posts

Posted:
i just got my reverse 5 beat down and now i'm moving on to behind the back weave both whys so i can do waistwraps then to meltdown

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonI rarely actually do 'triquatras' with three petals... I usually do 4-5 petals. ^_^ Would that still be considered a 'triquetra'? Or a hybrid of 4-5 petal antispin flower and extention? With "tri" usually meaning three... Not trying to be pedantic, am actually curious (if it even matters).

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
FWIW, I can do a meltdown but can't do a forward btb weave or a waist wrap. It's really kind of it's own thing. I just kept practicing the one-handed motions again and again and then put them together.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I'm guessing they put "triquetras" in quotes to indicate that what they do is not literally a triquetra, though it is part of the same family.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:

Originally Posted By: T-S-AOriginally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonI rarely actually do 'triquatras' with three petals... I usually do 4-5 petals. ^_^ Would that still be considered a 'triquetra'? Or a hybrid of 4-5 petal antispin flower and extention? With "tri" usually meaning three... Not trying to be pedantic, am actually curious (if it even matters).

You're quite right... its not really a triquatra. Sister Eleven has hit the nail on the head in saying that I put it in quotation marks to indicate that its not literally a triquatra.

I threw it out there becuase I find that piece of terminology quite restrictive insofar that it implies that theres only one way to do it, but you can do any ratio of beats.

2:1(3 petal antispin:extention) is the standard triquatra, but you can do 1:1 (cateye:extention) or even 3:1 4:1 and so on...

Keep using the term by all means, but also keep in mind that having the point up or down is not the limit to the variations you can find. ^_^

hug

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
It wasn't so much a matter of finding a "variation", so much as wondering which was more common/easier. The possibility of a fairly arbitrary number of petals had not escaped me, but it is fairly irrelevant at the moment.

Right now the question on my mind is just: how the censored do I get my poi to stop smacking into each other or going limp when I try to do a triquetra. tongue2 Presumably answers to this will bear on a larger number of petals.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Its likely a plane issue.

Forget how many petals you're doing and forget where the focus points are while you work on this.

Get it clean first, then worry about where the petals are going.

Once it feels vaguely clean, play around with the number of petals.

If you want to be able to place your 3 petals wherever you like, try doing 4 petals and placing them evenly around in a + pattern.

Then you can just focus on getting rid of either the top or bottom petal. smile

hug

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Still hasn't actually answered my question as to whether one way is easier to learn with than another. My petal question is part of the cleaning up question, not a separate issue.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
After playing around with this 4x4 fountain, I'm wondering if there's a way to do an antispin version like you can for the regular fountain. I'm going to have to play around, because this move demands to have a reversed form...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The easiest way to do it would be the way you do it without thinking.

There is no real rule for whats easier than anything else in poi... some people find some things easy, others find the same things hard.

Re:4x4 fountains I'd have to double check what it is to tell you if antispin is possible... the answer is most likely "yes" though, it almost always is possible in every way, even if you wanted to try a variation where you did it suspended upside down from the roof by your legs.

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I think easiest is just to learn it. After you have the basic shape down you can play with which petals are where.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Page: ......