Forums > Social Chat > What is your fire experience?

Login/Join to Participate

face.the.llamaSILVER Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
I'm doing a design project for school about what it feels like to be in the fire. I'm trying to convey to the average reader what it is like.

I'm putting the stories from various fire dancers along the pages of a book with photos of different fire arts. A few of my friends have participated, but I'm looking for a larger variety.

If you could write about what it's like for you in the fire, you can include things about what toys/tools you use, how you got into it, but the main point is trying to get the reader to understand the experience.

Thank you so much for any help. I really look forward to reading about your experiences.

-Jenny :-D

p.s. It can be as long or as short as you want as long as it gets the point across. :-)

EDITED_BY: face.the.llama (1305272570)

GrenadeBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
I've been staffing for three years, and breathing fire for five. The first time it caught my eye was watching a man do these amazing things with a five foot long staff, lit and roaring as it cut the air around him like a living thing. That day, I knew I had to learn this.

Each time with the fire is like coming back to an old friend. Every time the wick passes you by, it whispers, hisses, and roars, casting light and shadow in crazy patterns that show the world in ways you can't see otherwise. It surrounds you in circles of light and heat, and before long, you're no longer controlling it, or it, you. No, you're one and the same now. The staff, the poi, the hoop; all of these blend into extensions of your body, carrying the fire around you. Each time is as unique as an individual conversation, and as you learn new techniques, the words change and become more complex, building into this new expression.

It's a rush that can't be explained and only understood by the crazy brave or the truly adept. Skydivers, race-car drivers...these people know what we feel ever time we light up. You don't notice the crowd, the "ooh" and "aah" fades into the background. It's just you and the fire, one and the same. And when it ends, you can't help but be smiling.