Captain_CutthroatBRONZE Member
Midnight Fire Thrash Queen!
6 posts

Posted:
Greetings! I am fresh here to the board and thought I'd ask for some advise! As the Subject headliner reads, I am making a pair of 120mm x 120mm x 70mm cathedral poi! The heads are already folded, but then I got to the point where the eye-bolts should be placed. would it be wisest to drive a thick bolt straight through the center of the poi or should I use 4 smaller bolts on each of the corners of the poi, connecting 4 separate chains to the "main-chain" of the poi? Hmmm...

"Wir sind wie Eisblumen, wir blühen in der Nacht.
Wir sind wie Eisblumen, viel zu schön für den Tag.
Wir sind wie Eisblumen, kalt und schwarz ist unsre Macht.
Eisblumen blühen in der Nacht."

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Do 1 through the middle, your poi will fray at the ends over time, much more so with the stress of the bolts, plus, you have to have the washers to hold them on and that wont fit very well onto the poi with 4 of them.
The stress of the bolts will tear the poi apart. And all the chain and hardware to connect it to the main chain will burn you pretty easily.

I actually just realized that 120mm is larger than I thought laugh3 But I'll keep what I put up there for others to see about making heads. I'm not entirely sure what to do with that head because the 4 eyebolts may still cause warping problems at that size. Maybe a giant washer to keep the outer edges from drooping down.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

6 posts

Posted:
Thanx d00d! Its the outer edges I am worried about. I know some people use glue to keep them together when making them, but I prefer not to use glue at all, just try to tighten the folds. Perhaps a 4-6mm thick bolt and a huge washer should do the trick. Oly problem is that there is approx 1-inch left on each side of the wick when I do the last topfolds. Should I just tuck them in and hope a big washer will hold them down or try to fold them in a way the bold can go through? Hmmmm.. So much to concider.. Can't wait till I am done with them and can start a new era in my firespinning smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'd choose the latter. Folding it so the bolt goes through somehow. At least if you can. If not, then kevlar thread is nice to have hahaha

6 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately after todays mass hunt for large enough washers, I could not find what I needed smirk I have been thinking though of having 4 light bolts in each end to prevent the edges from drooping and a main bold in the center.... Will be heavy ^^;;;;;;

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have a better idea. make an X with some nails to hold the edges out straight and support them. Put it under the bottom layer or 2.

6 posts

Posted:
I actually had a long sitting time with my ol thinking box up there and I agreed with myself that the wicks will be used to make a nice staff instead.. So I got my bankcard and ordered some lovely Isis poi instead.. ..and burn my armwiskers and call me hobbs! I love them!! Perfect weight, firesize and burntime grin Though hurts when I hit myself with them while practising XD
but thats part of the great fun grin

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yes!!! Isis are def like the best poi I've ever used I love mine like children :3

6 posts

Posted:
Did one spinning session with them, but didn't get them soaked well enough because of lack of big enough container, thinking about ordering the one you get here smile Looks like its the perfect size smile Just need to get my wrist back to health before spinning again smirk
Still though.. they were amazing!!!!!!! grin
EDITED_BY: Captain_Cutthroat (1306093733)