kutil_timSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hey!
I'm certain I want to a buy a contact poi set with 80mm balls. I just can't decide between Pendulumpoi https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Pendulum-Contact-Poi-with-80mm-Balls
and Pendulapoi https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDet...nd-Ball-Handles
. The swivel might be cool for hyperloops but the thicker rope seems to be better for throws, isolations and stuff. What's your experience? I guess nobody has them both, but still...

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
i've tried both, out of the 2 i would choose pendulumpoi, the pendulapoi use a double length of colecord which can cause annoying tangles, however i also like having swivels- therefore- custom build smile I have both an 80mm and a 100mm set of contact poi made with 6mm climbing rope, attatched to a swivel, linked to a knob handle with colecord, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater
I use very lightweight wooden handles for my 80mm's and the HOP silicon ball handles for my 100mm's as the weight ratio is not so severe smile
EDITED_BY: liquidtrance (1303209495)

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Oooo.... Those are elegant.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I haven't bought HoP's pendulapoi, but the first pair of contact poi i made were almost exactly that design. They were pretty fantastic, really, and I prefer the colecord with 80mm balls because it doesn't skew the weight distribution so much. A knot above the swivel should lessen the tangling issues.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I went custom on my contact poi cuz I figured there is only one way to get exactly what I wanted. I decided no swivels because of bulk and hardware. A swivel coming right off a grip is kind of annoying for me so I cut out the swivel entirely for these thing, so no real orbitals but I have no real trouble with tangles personally. I have the silicone handle from HoP on MB 80mm a lot of people don't like the weight ratio but I love it myself. Also I use colecord so they do open up between the double length of it but as I said I haven't experienced any real trouble.

When it comes down to it, its what you want. Big rope little rope? Swivel or no? Heavier or lighter Handle? Same with the poi head. Making these kind of poi is really easier and you can find tutorials on making them pretty easy. I just came up with my own anchor for the poi head cuz I wanted super heavy duty XD. GL

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Something worth looking into, if the opening of two cords is really a problem is various lanyard knots. Might make it worse for tangles though, I dunno.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
I just get a needle and thread and sew the 2 cords together every 10cm or so (I use double cole cord for all of my led poi)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Dude Jameth, that is the best idea ever!!!

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
I have both the pendulumpoi and pendulapoi, and I can say from experience that if you want to do contact moves, pendulumpoi are the way to go. The weight ratio on the pendulapoi doesn't allow for smooth contact rolls, because the handle is so heavy it want to almost pull the head off your body as it swings. Also throws are something that are definitely easier on pendulumpoi, but certainly doable with pendulapoi. Also, you can't do wibbles with pendulumpoi, but you can with pendulapoi.

As for anything else, it's just a matter of taste, as they handle pretty much everything else equally. If my pendulumpoi weren't ugly orange but pretty white like my pendulapoi, I might prefer those. But for now, because I just prefer the look on my pendulapoi, I'm hoping to find a way like liquitrance did to even out the weight ratio.

diffrentcopyBRONZE Member
stranger
21 posts

Posted:
i got the pendulapoi, the swivles are alittle jerky but awesome. and i got small cuz im really short, wish i got longer but i dont care. i like them, will get pendulum poi some other time.

SoothsayerSILVER Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
Completely agree with SpinnerofDetroit I just sewed my 2 colecord threads together. Jameth we may need your brain for science.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
I'll put a note in my will - I'm using it at the moment. grin

(well, not at the moment, it being Sunday morning, but I haz plans).

and thanks.