Forums > Social Discussion > Cotton for fire, can you get away with an 80-20 blend?

Login/Join to Participate

WildCelticRoseNew Spinner, Beating the Crap out of Myself and Loving it !
9 posts

Posted:
Hello,

I am going to be ordering an all cotton hoodie for spinning (jeans leather shoes are working fine for the bottom) but I have two fire opportunites coming up this weekend.

I'm getting a bit burned out (pun intended) on wearing a long sleeve race T-shirt and a wool hat.

I can find a tight fitting hoodie locally before tomorrow night, but I can't find anything 100% cotton.

I have found one that is 80% cotton.

I'm wonding if anyone has had any experience with a blend getting hit with a flaming poi? I'd rather not buy a hoodie and then try to burn it to test it (stores don't tend to want to take things back that you've lit on fire)

"Failure is not falling down, it is refusing to get up"

9 posts

Posted:
also...

It's still getting down into the 30's here at night so I can't just braid and wet my hair.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Not quite the same, but I have a high-cotton blend shirt I have used on occasion with no trouble. I tend not to wrap very much, and the shirt is tight (as in form-fitting), so there are no folds to catch on. It is also pretty thick, with no fuzz.

Of course, I am not saying that nothing will happen to you. Standard disclaimers still apply: take my advice under own risk etc.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

9 posts

Posted:
Since no one seemed to have the answer (prior to Aston's response after I'd already left work), I used the (sorta) scientific method to test the 80% cotton 20% polyester fabric for flammability.

Since I normally wear 100% cotton and have read that 100% polyester being recommended for children's sleep wear, I went ahead and purchased the hoodie (heck, it was only $20)

I went to the kitchen next to the sink so I'm have a non flammable surface and water nearby and wet a towel for smothering any flame.

The first test was on the ribbed surface on the inside of the hoodie. That surface withstood five full seconds (which is WAY longer than a flaming poi has ever been in contact with me) of direct flame from a Butane lighter (the long kind used to light BBQs) with mild discoloration.

The second test was on the inside of the body of the hoodie which is very fuzzy. I knew that this would catch easier than the smooth outside.

The fuzzy inside of the hood did not catch/hold flame until ten full seconds (I can't imagine being in contact with a flaming poi that long even in an accidental wrap)

It held a VERY small flame, did not significantly melt and there was no sign on the outside that the inside had been burned, so even if I do catch it on fire, the likelihood of it melting through to my skin is pretty darn negligible.

I think I'm going to be as safe in that as anything (and I burn with good safe people who have my back)

~L

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Provided you're due diligent to your safety whle spinning, an 80-20 blend is fine.

Always have someone spot you during a burn, and for added safety and peace of mind you can do a 'spray-down' prior to lighting up (i.e. a spray bottle of water and spraying yourself head to toe).

Happy spinning! smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy