Draegenstranger
2 posts

Posted:
I'm a bit new to poi and I want to learn more. I am confident enough to begin using fire but I'd like to learn more from someone decent as well as find someone or a place in the Philadelphia pa area that sells fire poi. Any help would be appreciated.

~Draegen

DreamsofDiscordSILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Define "a bit new"? I consider myself "a bit new" having been spinning for maybe a month and I like my skin and hair a bit too much to go near fire myself just yet laugh3

"Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherf*cker in the world." -N. Stephenson

Draegenstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Well I hvent done fire but in fairly good with poi. I don't hit myself on basic moves at least haha. I'm looking to get into fire.

DreamsofDiscordSILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
I know I can't speak for everyone, but I know some folks who play with fire and they advised me against it until I was completely competent with whatever toys I wanted to set on fire. When I say "completely competent" I mean unconscious memory, can do it your eyes closed. The more attention you can pay to the fire and you're immediate surrounds and person, the better.

That said, best of luck finding someone to teach you to play with fire! There is a lot of helpful information on playing with fire and fire safety in the How-To section of this website smile I'd work more on my technique and worry less about putting myself in harm's way, but that's just me wink

"Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherf*cker in the world." -N. Stephenson

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can try the "Meet Others" or "Events" sections of the fora. Also, the fire poi HoP sell are well good, if you are looking.

There are a few threads about how to do your first burn. I suggest you search for those. ("First Burn" should do it as a search term.)

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Combat MosesSILVER Member
Revrend
27 posts

Posted:
If your looking for a good source to learn tricks from online try looking up play poi on youtube.com they have a nice set of tutorials as far as first burns go try lighting the heads and doing a few normal same time and split time spins you should notice that while the heads a still the fire is much larger then when they are in motion but while they are moving they are much much louder hence a little spooky but after you get comfy with that the whole world of tricks you have learned will be as open with fire as it was with glow or normal poi that should be noted as well if you have not played with glow the light of the fire might be a little distracting

Only boring people get bored.- James Walton

You can only get bored if you don't know how to live.-His son