GlowingFigure8newbie
9 posts

Posted:
Ive just converted from Glow POI to Fire POI recently, i was wondering if perhaps i put some sort of Kevlar sleeve on to do arm wraps and what not would this be ok?

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!!!!

Also, can anybody recommend me on where to get these at and good gloves for spirals?

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
The stuff we use for fire is a cotton kevlar mix.

The cotton part holds the fuel and acts as a wick.

There is another fabric called Nomex. If you have any friends in the airforce or army you can VERY easily get your hands on a set of gloves, the cuffs on the glove go well past where a watch would normally sit.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Kevlar sleeves are ok, but you don't really need them unless you're going for that shirtless in opera gloves look. A long sleeve 100% cotton shirt works just fine seeing as what you're really interested in protecting yourself from is burns from hot metal.

Likewise with the gloves, anything you can spin comfortably in should do, personally I do spiral wraps without gloves, a few minor burns ( as in I've forgotten them the next day ), that's all

For the sleeves try industrial safety supply houses, or "surplus shops" catering to the paramilitary crowd.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i always wanted to ask
would an oveglove work?
also if you bunch it in a ball could the oveglove be used at fire poi?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I wonder...It would be a nightmare to spin wearing those things. When I was working in the glassblowing studio last year there was a set of gloves made from the same 2 inch kevlar strips we know as wicking, so i don't see why an oveglove wouldn't work as wicking too.

I met this guy...who told me he bought a used bullet proof vest, thinking that he's use the kevlar in it for making fire toys, the problem, he said was cutting it. Seems it's not the same stuff we're all used to and after figuring he could only cut this stuff using a very sharp axe. he bailed out on the idea.

hummm...an oveglove stuffed with cotton...novelty poi with huge flames that might just burn forever. smile

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i think in a pay check or two i have a craft project

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MordfabrikSILVER Member
31 posts

Posted:
Hardware stores sell good soft leather fingerless gloves, if you're okay with leather. Hand control is still optimal, and they're excellent protection.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i use kevlar sleeves in work for welding, they're pretty cool. i gave a set away to a friend a while back, but they were just so he doesn't burn himself using his fire nunchucks. long sleeves are usually enough protection for basic arm wraps, spiral wraps etc.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Talk to NYC, he did a bunch of research and stuff into this a few years ago and might have some info for you.

I was going to suggest welding sleeves too. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

tara_mcmanusSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I like wearing the Kevlar sleeves because I do a lot of contact stalls and bumps with my poi and when I do poi moves with a fire hoop, I get a zig zag of little burns on my forearms. I am also learning tosses with fire fans and poi and sometimes you grab the wick!!! I admit, touching fire and getting grazed by flame is not painful but after years of doing this, I'd like to keep my arms looking pretty. Also a word of caution, most kevlar sleeves are designed for weders and not fire spinners, the thumb hole is embroidered with nylon thread and polyester elastic, watch out!!! If that comes in contact with flame, you will have burning, melting, molten plastic getting stuck to your burn wounds and that is way worse than just touching flame!!! check out this video,

there are options for fire safe kevlar gloves out there:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/69593244/stretch-kevlar-sleeves-18