frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
I'm in the process of crocheting a pair of poi with a pattern I found online. I'm a bit reticent, though, when it comes to using it, since the length of the "rope" seems a bit short. This can be fixed easily, but I need a good ratio to use so I come out with the correct length. Is there an optimum length for poi?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Most people seem to go for just a little longer than their fingertips to just past their elbow. Although it depends a lot on what you like.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
With that measurement, are you including the straps or not?

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
My personal preferred length is from my first knuckle on my middle finger to just below my elbow (bottom of poi) with straps included. I do a lot of inside moves and am female. You can connect the dots on that one. But this measurement would be slightly shorter than what aston mentioned.
If you are worried about them being too short then I would say make them a bit longer and you can always wrap excess around your fingers or hand.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I do not use straps. Pinching the handle between thumbtip and first finger, my poi tend to come to 4 or 5cm past my elbow. Add 2cm for the handle.

As a suggestion, make some poi with string/rope tethers and then you will know what length you like?

I agree with CJ though. Make them longer than you think you want them and you will have more flexibility. And experiment. I have poi with lengths of exactly my arm to nearly my shoulder. I just quoted my favourite length, which is one I have heard a few other people use as well.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland