Forums > Videos > Criticism needed be nice :P

Login/Join to Participate

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
Okay so this is the first time im posting a video on here (i think o.O). Most of its good quality. Any advice as to what can improve my spinning? I need to work on flow and movement i know but anything else?

(cant get the embedding to work from youtube)

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Lookin pretty good to me. I have no real advice other than keep on spinning. ^_^

118 posts

Posted:
Really? Thats actually really good to hear. Thanks for that meshunderlay. Ive never really understood your name, care to share?

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

richiiStick spinner
43 posts

Posted:
Really nice spinning some nice tricks and some cool flow. Try and think about your footwork. Where your feet are placed how you move your feet when you turn.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yor footwork and body posture definately need some work. A lot of things need cleaning up which will take a little time, but just keep at it. Also your flowers need work, especially the prospin flowers. You poi are spinning in same time so they don't meet in the middle lke they should. Work on keeping them split time, this is a very common mistake I see with people. You remind me of an earlier me in poi grin Just keep at it man I'm sure you'll improve enough to feel godly compared to your old self, which is all our goal isn't it?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

bendingthefutureSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
You had your arms were fully extended for the flowers and i've noticed you were moving smoothy with the poi just not in splittime. But you weren't doing so with the caps. Anyways, your doing a great job keep up the practice.

118 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips SoD i really need to work on movement. Oh and btw hearing im like an early poi you is a massive compliment, thanks SoD. BTF was the CAP comment a good thing or a bad thing? Thanks for the comments guys, they really help me keep on track and want to keep spinning.

Also just thought id share the news that im taking part in a medieval festival this coming May and am totally psyched. Anyone got any thoughts or tips for this kind of event? Im think of getting gossamer angel wings for it but apart from specific kit?

2,280 posts

Posted:
I noticed the CAP too, it's not really a "bad" comment, it's just saying you need to keep both of your arms extended when you do the antispin portion. One of your arms wasn't quite extended I think, and the other arm just went straight down to the petal didn't take its shape.
But seriously I looked at your video and a lot of it reminded me of an earlier me. I have to say it probably made it more enjoyable for me laugh3 But a lot of it was the things you needed to work on and kind of the look the poi had when you were spinning them. I never really had a problem with keeping flowers in split time though, my problem was petal placement. Also you have a different problem with your upper body than I usually see with people. I also had that same problem. You're not really crunched in which is what I see a lot, it just looks like you're kind of afraid of the fire I THINK, it's the only way I could think of describing it but I'm sure when you look at the vid you know what I mean. Like compare your posture and upper body movements to some of the well know guys, or if you want to, me, I have one video in particular that is a really good example and it was me about 6 months ago and I still can't pull off flow like this again >.<

But look at the body language given to that audience, it's something that all good performers have and completely changes the look of your act, it gives you a stage presence. There are other things too like how much space you take up, but you won't look that impressive unless you keep a good, confident posture. You act like the fire isn't even a factor in what you're doing unless you're doing some showy move that emphasizes the fire. But i have to go to work now so I may comment later, good luck on your spinning!

118 posts

Posted:
I am so jealous of your spinning -.-.' where're you from? and i know about the issue with my CAPs. ive only just started learning how to CAP so they do need cleaning up. and SoD i dont know what video you were watching but im a fire virgin :L

Gwidnewbie
29 posts

Posted:
you don't need to be jealous, fire is not important when you're spinning feel like you do and a very important things you need to like what you do don't show what other people do, find your way to learn and to move.

now have fun ^^

Gwidnewbie
29 posts

Posted:
sorry for my very bad english :s

118 posts

Posted:
@Gwid - Im not jealous of his fire, im jealous of the quality of SoD spinning. I plan on starting fire but i have plenty of stuff to work on.

@SoD - In further response to your critique SoD ive managed to clean up my C CAP so my arms are fully extended so thank you for picking that up. And also thanks for picking up my compound spin flower problem, ive managed to work on that and also taken it further to work on flower turns so thankyou very much smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hey man no problem. It's nice to see someone actually going through the practice to clean things up and taking my advice grin I've had a few people get mad at me, but I usually try to be pretty straight forward I'm glad you appreciate it. And flower turns when you get them look sooo amazing grin The 2-petal inspin one might just be the best looking. There's a video of Nick Woolsy at I think a yoga barn on YouTube and it has the perfect example. The poi make their petals at the top and bottom on different sides of him and they meet like right one in front and one behind his head it looks amazing. That one I find you need long poi to get the full effect but looks awesome even if you don't use long poi like him and I do. I've adjusted the length of my poi so many times laugh3