FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Yes, prayers and support for those in Japan, and you might have just posted this moments before I was going to start a more specific thread because I logged into HoP just now when I went online (to do something else) and Google search home page has a rare special message on the bottom of its text saying:

"Tsunami Alert [<- in red, no active link] for New Zealand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves expected over the next few hours, caused by 8.9 earthquake in Japan."

Love and prayers and some anxiety for you, Malcolm, Home of Poi and friends in New Zealand and all around, may you ride out wind and water with the sly resilience of deep-centered fire, remember your core is partly ancient turpentine, amber, and petrol, and crashing douses cannot snuff you easily, while they may unfortunately ruin part of you and dampen your whole environment for a lingering while.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Any damage reports? I heard low casualties from the initial quake. Not sure of anything since.

Hoping for the best.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
It must be ominous, if international Google tells us across the globe that you're sitting, waiting expecting a major hit. Malcolm and friends, what are you doing, how are you feeling?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MalcolmOMG!

We are thinking of you all in Japan

OMG!

We are thinking of you all in New Zealand eek

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonAny damage reports?

"So far at least 32 people in Japan have been killed, and an unknown number injured, by the 8.9-magnitude quake and tsunami, the Kyodo news agency reported. But the sheer scale of the devastation suggests that the final death toll will be far higher." no ~ Theunis Bates, AOL News "Massive Tsunami Devastates Japan; Hawaii Braces for Huge Wave" Mar 11, 2011 – 6:37 AM (prolly US EST, GMT-5 or so, so about 18 minutes ago)

I don't usually go to AOL but I'm now in a writers' group who uses their online chat, so I have email there too and see their headlines:

https://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/11/massiv...sec1_lnk1|49526

Came back here when I read this.

Let's specifically pray for no loss of major life and only minor damage of all other kinds in New Zealand and throughout the wonderful expanse of Pacifica, coast to coast to coasts, friends.

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
"Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS) has confirmed at least 200 dead and another 398 missing in six different prefectures." ~ "2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami," Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Sendai_earthquake_and_tsunami

The link's:

https://www.ustream.tv/channel/tbstv

I know very little Japanese, but a remote reporter seems to be telling the casualty toll prefecture by prefecture in smaller numbers. New Zealanders and HoP people in Australasia must have heard more directly from Japan hours before most of the rest of us.

58 thousand people are watching this channel right now, live broadcast just began 11 minutes ago. Some horrific footage of all kinds, the rocking and crashing caught in office cams, the fires, the floods, the survivors' families
EDITED_BY: FireMikeZ (1299855591)
EDIT_REASON: live broadcast

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

Laguna, California, US

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
I've heard from several of my Tokyo based friends who are fine but are very worried about friends further north. News reports are reporting hundreds of confirmed deaths and suggesting that the final toll will be in the thousands. frown

It seems the tsunami has reached most places around the Pacific and over to Chile, USA and Russia with limited impact thanks to the amount of warning.

The world is now responding and sending help to Japan. I was worried that NZ would not be able to help due to the problems we have here in Chch but I am very pleased to se that we are sending one of our USAR teams immediately to help in the recovery operations.

Love and light, thoughts and wishes to all in Japan.
Yuta, Dai, the team at Naranja and everyone else - please check in and let us know you're ok. hug

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
A major concern are now the 4 nuclear power plants whose cooling systems have failed. One has already suffered a fairly major explosion and is on the verge of a major incident.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/12/japan-earthquake-tsunami-aftermath-live

Lets all just hope that they manage to get that situatuation under control!

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
eek the scale of this tsunami is just incredible...and the pictures that have been coming through are unbelievable... frown grouphug

*waits for the japan-based hoppers to check in*

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm
shocked

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
Sending lots of love and hugs to everyone over in Japan, and hope aid comes quickly grouphug

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

YutaSAPPHIRE Member
138 posts

Posted:
Hello Home of Poi,
Thank you for thinking of us.
I know NZ is still in very bad situation, I pray for you all either.

Me, Asuka, Naranja, Okotanpe, Komei, Cyuge, are fine. I haven't talked with Dai yet, but he is probably still in Australia.

The situation in Japan is very very bad, I feel that our life has been changed after the earth quake and tsunami 3.11.

I just wrote about the situation in my website. I would like you to see the information and report here
https://poicommunity.com/en/m90_earth_quake_attacked_japan_and_massive_tsunami_destroy_japan.php

It is still too dangerous to go there. What I can do is only to send money at the moment. I hope I can do something more in a couple of weeks..

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Saw a terrific photo of a bunch of NZ kids in church holding signs wishing Japan well.

Props.

My thoughts are with both nations. x

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Yuta!!! *Diving Mega-Glomp!*
hug
Thank you for your update - it's good to know you are all safe. Now please KEEP safe as (from our experience, and as you will also know) the aftershocks will continue for some time and some will be quite big given the size of the main one :-(

Take care.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Not sure what the status is.... the last thing I heard from media is ~ 2.000 casualties and as much as over ~ 10.000 missing...

There have been reports of intense volcanic activities by end of January... so sad that we still can't read the warnings.

apart from immense devastation by the quake and the following Tsunami, there are meltdowns in at least 2 - if not 3 nuclear reactors... which makes me intensively angry about a government and the company running these plants.

Happy the Japanese Mafia is all fine... we have a number of Japanese here, who appear as in a different reality, between grief, feeling lucky not to be there, fear for their beloved ones, having to return into a catastrophe, wanting to help, wanting to live... must be absolutely mind-boggling frown

grouphug to all

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
More than 13,000 Dead or missing: Police

https://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/17/3166717.htm?section=justin

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
For those who get emotional over the animals... https://www.9am.ro/stiri-revista-presei/I...ntre-ruine.html

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

momohappysanSILVER Member
stranger
13 posts

Posted:
i like jp,
hope everything fine in jp~~~~~~~~~~~~

i love poi, even though i just start for 3 weeks , poi is my dream in the coming year.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Nate's out in Nagoya atm it's bizarre he seems to be my one man news feed and appears to be in no hurry to leave. Was very worried when I first heard - Best wishes to all out there or have family out there. My company is organising free container shipping for aid out to Japan if anyone is looking to arrange anything of that order (Shipping company NYK) as our terminals in all but Sendai port are operating at only slightly reduced capacity.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

jenyharwardstranger
2 posts

Posted:
We pray for Japan! We will be there to help them in any way we can.

|