DidgeridudeGOLD Member
Object Manipulationist, Chain Maille Artisan, Didgeridoo Performer and Teacher
37 posts

Posted:
Hello Poi world! My name is Dustin "aka Didgeridude" and I run Kemper's Chain and Maille (find me on facebook) Ive been making chain maille a long time, and after years of research and development, I have created Full Chain Maille Poi!

I call em Pro Poi. Made for performers and professionals that wants equipment that stands out in a crowd and stands up to serious abuse and long term use.

I make the counter weights, chains and poi heads out of hand made chain maille (ie- it starts as straight wire from a spool).
I have tried and tested 3 different chain styles all unique to their own, ranging from the most flexible, to the smoothest most untangleable chains on the planet. I use stainless steel, and while some may have concern from how strong they are, since they are butted rings and not welded, but hold up amazingly under fire. I used only the highest grade wire for these tools.
I can say ive never had a set fail, and i have about 20 sets out in the market now. Ive Tried to break them, to no avail. in fact the only chain ive made thats ever failed was from a motorcycle wreck at 70mph on the highway. I use the componentry from here on HoP (swivels and quicklinks) that i cant make myself. They come with practice heads filled with fabric (Also available, maille Juggling balls), and can easily be changed to your favorite fire heads.
Its revolutionary advancement of the tools used to perform. Myself and many around me already know about the magic, but now im ready to show the world what ive been up to. Pics to be posted soon.
smile

I do not have a Soul, . . . I AM a Soul.
I Have a body.

DidgeridudeGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
No body has any questions, concerns or comments on maille poi? or you all just waiting on pics?
EDITED_BY: Didgeridude (1297882871)

I Have a body.

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
waiting on pics, personally i have this marked as one to watch

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yeah, honestly, the only comment I had upon first reading your post was: "Pics?", but at the bottom of your write up you say you will post pics soon, making my comment unneeded.

Looking forward to seeing what you're talking about.

DidgeridudeGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
I have plenty to show, but am visiting family a few states away from my usual home base, and we have no way to get the pics from the camera on the PC here. No card reader for my ladys card... But as soon as i can manage it, I will be uplading asap.
Stay Tuned
<3

I Have a body.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Sooo it's been a couple weeks, pics yet?

I don't know that I'd call maille and poi a 'revolutionary advancement'. You're making these out of butted stainless? What gauge, ring size and weave are you using? I've seen too much butted stainless blown open on chains to really trust it, *especially* with fire.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I remember someone else, a couple years back, saying that his practice poi were maille. But that was everything, including the heads. Or maybe just the heads. I forget now.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Maybe he got shanked and his chain maille armor wasn't able to halt the stilletto? That's too bad!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Heh.

I doubt standard mail would be that great at stopping a proper stiletto in any case.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

DidgeridudeGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
Sorry for the delay guys! been traveling non stop for a while now in the festie circut.
On a side note, chain maille isnt good for stabbing, or thrust from say arrow, but sword would slide right off...
anyway! Im not exactly sure how to post a picture here on the forum, but i did just get a facebook page setup for Chain Maille Poi (called "Pro Poi" - Chain Maille Performance)

https://www.facebook.com/TheRealDidgeridude#!/pages/Pro-Poi-Chain-Maille-Performance/191910220833454

(im working on a shorter link. gotta get a few more "likes" first before i can change it. But thats where you can see some of what ive been working on.

And Lurch, yes while butted rings are not as strong as welded, they are stronger than ball chains which people trust all the time with fire. Under normal conditions, there will be no problem. Ive dialed down the smallest (strongest) ring size guage combos possible, and use a 3/4 hard stainless. I dont want to give out exact ring size guage combos, but over a year of reserch and development has proven most sucessesful, and out of more than 10 sets ive sold, only 1 repair has been nessesary, and it was not because of fire, but an inexperienced friend of the guy i made a set for, and he was whipping it like a whip. The repair was very easy (non critical fail) and that was the last time ive had any problems with these. Im moving out of "proto type" stages now, and am quite pleased (As with all my customers, and people who try them) with the final product.
^_^

I Have a body.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
well, for one i'm impressed that HoP tolerates commercial ads these days... shrug and for seconds -

didgeridude:

1) click "switch to full reply screen"
2) locate the toolbar on top of the text field ...
smiley - link - mailto - ... image - click on it and tadaa enter the url of your image...

got to be on a server, other than FB, needs to end with ".jpg" or such...

looks like an awful amount of work, these poi... what's the score? name an example, not just "well it depends on the length and features"... or name a range, so we get the idea...

looking intriguing, really - congratulations for the idea smile

ps: the correct forum would be ... "Technical Discussion"... here, people just slap each other with opinions help spank wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1306226413)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DidgeridudeGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
I never really intend this to be an commericial ad. Im just one guy who wanted to help expand the options (wich are very limited, to say the least) for fire chains, and maille accessories. And i figured what better place to introduce these to one of the biggest poi communities in the world. <3

Now if HoP sold maille stuffs, id never say a word.

Let me clarify, that i am Very loyal to HoP, infact ive never bought poi related anything except from HoP over the last 7 years, so my intension was Never to take, or redirect buisness from this loved company.

And yes, they are an aweful amount of work, but its work i love doing, and have been doing it for a long time.

Also, if a moderator wishes, feel free to move this topic to the proper forum. I was new when i posted that, so my bad. smile

As far as prices go, anywhere from $40 for cheapest chains (only), what id call a Chain replacement. all the way to $150(ish) for full maille handles, heads, 4 swivels (No.10 from HoP), quicklinks, and the beastie Butter chains. $20 for counterweights, $30 for practice heads. All Componentry from HoP. (swivels, quicklinks, and single or double loops handels, etc)

Unfortunanly, due to the serious weather we are enduring here in Missouri, out internets are weak at best and am unable to upload pics at this time. As soon as i can, i will, but 2 days of failing uploading even a single pic, has discouraged me to try again, untill things get better. (not being dodgy, just circumstansial, at the moment.)

www.facebook.com/ProPoi

I Have a body.