Tip_BordenSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I have been spinning poi a little over two years and started working on some advanced concepts. Mixing driving patterns, transitioning between complex technical moves (or trying to)and a number of other things. I just really need a truly advanced poi spinning DVD. I am having no luck finding one. I have a copy of the scales of poi somewhere and it was good but I wold not say its advanced. I also have The encyclo-poi-dia Volume 2 with John and Zan and there are some advanced things on there but not quite what Im looking for. Zan's Diamond was I think the best thing I learned from that dvd as a lot of the other things I had played with before. Even with the easy to understand layout on the encyclo-poi-dia 2 I am still lost when people start talking heavily in technical terms. I feel a bit like when your standing behind someone at Starbucks that goes every day and orders something so intricate the people that work there are left scratching their heads. I sometimes wonder if people go into overly technical stuff just to lose us common spinners lol. For the most part when I see someone doing a really technical move I can learn it even without a tutorial though it may take a few days. I just more or less want a guide to technical poi terminology and theory. There are a good many poi spinning DVDs out their but most of them are just footage of other people spinning and not breaking down anything. I heard on a video that nick was working on a project called mapping out poi. Is that going to be a DVD sometime? I noticed he keeps taking videos off his profile that he puts up so I guess he is saving that for content for another dvd. Anyway Poi is evolving so fast and there is so much to learn Im just so surprised there isn't a DVD with the most advanced moves imaginable put together in one unit for the adventurous. It would be like the P90x or Marine core of poi spinning XD. Also there are so many technical terms now that someone could wright quite a lengthy book if they wanted too. Does anyone know if anyone is working on a project like this? I would be willing to spend some serious time on what someone jokingly called the Jedi moves if only there was a video or something of them. Im seriously In need of a face meltingly advanced DVD to work on for the next few years. Anyone have any suggestions?

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Actually there is no such DVD floating around, there are many
reasons, but for high technical staff I can recomend
Ben Drexler tech blog:

https://drexfactor.com/

He is very good at technical spinning theory and he under-
stand almost every new concept.

I heared about 'Mapping out project' by Nick Woolsey
by I don't kow about any new DVD from him.

Quote:
It would be like the P90x or Marine core of poi spinning XD.

I quite don't get what you meen, but I want to know ! grin

Also Jedi moves changes every time and 'what was hard/new
last year is too easy this year' etc. It's not a move, but rather
kind of theory/concept.

Also at some level the tech isn't necessary,
you should know.

light,

ninja

Tip_BordenSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I watch his videos a lot. He is one of the people on youtube that I spend the most time watching because I think he has then most videos of that type. Im pretty familiar with the youtube poi community. Just looking for an alternative. Maybe we will get one in the future..........P90x is an exercise routine that is suppose to get you from flabby to riped in 3 months Its suppose to be uber hard lol.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
If you are trying to stay at the cutting edge, Drex is not far off of it. If you are following and understanding his stuff, you should be fine.

But very advanced tech keeps changing. The basic terminology is not hard to pick up, with a bit of effort. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask here though, and I (and I am sure others) will try to answer.

The Jedi Set, as unregistered said, was a (partly) joking list of what was considered really difficult, such that a spinner needed to be a Jedi to do the move. Most, if not all, of the moves on the list are no longer considered overly tricky.

(PS: please use paragraphs. The solid wall of text in your first post is difficult to read.)

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Tip_BordenSILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Sorry about the no paragraph thing. I know they were just joking when they were talking about the Jedi moves its a cool idea though. I was just stating I wish more of the technical stuff showed up in the DVD's maybe the encyloc-poi-dia 3 (if they make it) will have more things like this.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
It will show up on DVD, but it takes time to get a DVD filmed and made. Cutting edge tech moves too quickly for it to make it onto DVD while a given thing is still cutting edge.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland