Forums > Social Chat > (ahem)....Does anyone of you beat box?...

Login/Join to Participate

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
and if you do could you send me some pointers...
i'm working on it and i'm not getting anywhere...
so...*shrugs*
could you help me out?..

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
i do, but i need to know, miked or non.

cuz if your miked i can help more than you can ever imagine.

you know the swallow(a short low unk) that many beat boxers use for base drum... you can improve it.

cut up an old pair of headphones to remove the band, and attach them to a collar facing inwards, so they can slide around the collar with a bit of difficulty.

adapt the miniplug to a quarter inch mono.

buy a Danelectro DJ5 chilidog (octave pedal) and connect it up(maybe a belt clip)(THIS STEP IS OPTIONAL)

connect to an amp along with a normal mic for your mouth and be happy, wearing the collar around your neck, with the phones on either side of your throat...

even without the unk, this can be cool it amplifies all noises without the articulation your mouth adds.

this is much like the "thumper" that stack uses in five o'clock shadow.

i in no way garuantee satisfactory results, this is just what I did for a friend, and he swears by it.

i can give more tips, but what you need is sound clips, and i can't provide those.

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I beatbox, just ask Simian if im any good.

*poke* go on simian.,..whatdja think?

um...get on the internet and look for a bloke called Rahzel...
this bloke is the mutts nutts and one of the best beatboxers i have ever heard..
then again...
Coleman would disagree with me...but thats cos he smells.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i wouldn't disagree with you.

i saw rahzel back in 1997 @ the astoria when he was still with the roots. saw him in 99 @ glastonbury after he'd gone solo and his show sucked - hardly any beatbox and i'm not a fan of his mc'in at all.

my advice is work up slow.
listening to dudes like rah, scratch, kenny mohammed and killa kela - the home-grown reigning king and dare i say it, the best beatboxer around right now (imho) - will just blow your mind.
they do crazy stacking shit that involves using a set of three or four techniques *at once*.

get some slick rick and doug e. fresh and learn every beat you can find.
don't worry about mimiking sound directly, just make sure that for each separate 'sound' (bass drum, snare, hi-hat etc) doug e. makes, you have an equivalent distinctive sound. beatboxing is a bit like a singing voice - everyone's sounds different.
play the tunes and practice along with them.
when you have a couple down, use the pause button and add your own breaks and fills.
if you get that far, you'll know what to do next

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
or...go find a cd of music..preferably something with a good beat...turn the bass right down and make up your own basslines to go with the song...that what i do.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
surely that's just called 'humming'?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
**** you ya lanky sod.

no no no you moronic isotope. thats humming along with a tune...im chatting about making a totally new, different, unique, um,..different..said that one.....um..whatever.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I wish you guys could have seen some of the human beatbox shows I saw a few weeks ago in New York.

I used to think Rahzel was good.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I want to learn/read up on some techniques and principles. Ive found I can do some neat stuff with my didgeridoo if I use the basic beat boxing I know from goofing around in school (very little) and adapt it, im sure I can do a lot more if I learn some proper stuff.

Anyone know any websites with resources?

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
https://www.fear.net/archive/songs/Astroboy/Astroboy%20-%20Dr.%20Who.mp3

A silly joke song I made a long time ago, it's the dr who song done entirely with my voice.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Also, the guy who does the crazy sounds with his voice is awesome. Sure these guys can do hip hop tunes and stuff, but lets see them do jimi hendrix.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
special prize for the first person to record a perfect beatboxed version of 'fire'...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
ah it all sounds like Jones out of Police Academy to me

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
My mate kinda does it, he's more into MC freestylin'. I had no idea until he dropped right into it one night while we were pished and shooting a few frames round my old gaff...very entertaining.

oh and re: Killa-Kela
He is king Saw him live last year in Manc at a grandcentral/sub-tub doo, he's 'kin amazing. His LP is also v.v.cool, well worth getting.

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.