Logan KearsleySILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
I've seen a lot of glowstringers using double-handles, but no other examples of double-handle poi. [Old link], but I'm thinking more specifically of symmetrical poi where you can hold either end and use the other handle as the head.

So, I'm wondering how frequently is that kind of thing done, and what do you use? I've been playing with crystal poi with flowlights for a while, but I've been thinking of just getting some short dowel rods and wrapping them in duct-tape with an eyebolt for non-illuminated use.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
That's probably because poi are generally too bulky for handles whereas glowsticks are the perfect size. I use glowstick handles and love the and wish I could do it with fire poi! But it's just not very practical. Even with most LED's they're too big to use or at least use comfortably. Although I have had the idea of using ultrabright glowsticks as handles for my fire poi grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Although.... Maybe contact ball poi with contact balls at either end could be cool.... No idea though, it would take testing and materials that I don't have at the moment, aka 4 contact balls.

2,280 posts

Posted:
that would be too heavy of a weight on the end for contact though wouldn't it?

Logan KearsleySILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitThat's probably because poi are generally too bulky for handles whereas glowsticks are the perfect size.I practiced with double tennis balls for a while; that worked OK, but wasn't the most comfortable and convenient handle situation. Flowlights are just about the same size as chemsticks (although I've heard some glowstringers complain that the different shape/feel screws them up); using crystal cases makes them bigger and heavier, of course, but I've gotten pretty well accustomed to that.

But, yeah, aside from things that glow, typical poi heads don't work out too well as handles.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitthat would be too heavy of a weight on the end for contact though wouldn't it?

No idea, though that's what momentum is for. TO be honest, as I said, it would probably need testing, but I have not the materials at the moment to do so.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I would figure the weight would make it so the handle wouldn't swing and would make the other head fall off your arm.

DidgeridudeGOLD Member
Object Manipulationist, Chain Maille Artisan, Didgeridoo Performer and Teacher
37 posts

Posted:
funny you say that about double sided poi. I just made a set of those a few days ago with my chain maille. They worked out pretty well! its like a whole new toy with a whole new move set. I dont know if ill carry that item, but i was curious myself with double sided poi. ^_^ Good Call!

I do not have a Soul, . . . I AM a Soul.
I Have a body.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Another way to toy with the idea is two orbs. That is, a head in the middle with handles at each end.

The weight would screw up somethings, but would be interesting.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
Sounds kinda like astrojax. That's a very interesting toy in the right hands.