Forums > Other Toys > Fuel in NZ - poi and fire eating

Login/Join to Participate

MangopeopleGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

I am a relative newbie to fire poi and have also just started to learn fire eating. Up until now I have been using kero for both, as the safest fuel with the lowest flash point etc.

However, I'm now sick of the smoke of kero and a bit over the smell too. I'm also having problems with basic torch tricks for fire eating for example I can't light a torch by shotgun? (a thin trail of fuel on one arm to an unlit torch lit at the end of the trail with the lit torch) and there is no way I'd be able to do a tongue pass. I wondered if this is because the flash point of kero is actually too high? (is it is because I'm using the really cheap stuff?!)

I've done a lot of reading on fuels and understand to check the MSDS for myself etc but haven't been able to find anything that answer my question which is - what fuels are other people in NZ actually using? I've heard that lots of people use Pegasol (this seems to be the NZ equivalent of Colemans?) but haven't been able to find where to get it from (I'm in Wellington), if you are using lamp oil exactly what type/brand and where are you buying it from?

Thanks in advance for any help

smile

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
kero's flashpoint is indeed to high for the shotgun pass, i've been using feuershow.de for a long time now for their pyrofluid, it serves all my body burning/fireeating/breathing needs

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
Hi Marie,
Pegasol now has a new name, Solvent 3440 Special. its a high grade, odourless, clean burning form of kerosene. not sure where you can buy it as I have only just found out about it myself, but if I find any chain stores that sell it I'll let you know! smile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

sbengeGOLD Member
oddball
20 posts

Posted:
Peg can be gotten from a few gull service stations and in regards to fire eating fuelite or colemans are what I use.
Hit me up on facebook i'm a welly kid at the moment
Stephen Benge

MangopeopleGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
Thanks liquidtrance its great to know that its not me doing something stupid!

burningoftheclavey that would be ace if you could let me know if you do find somewhere and it helps to know it has another name!

Stephen thanks a lot! Do you go down to Frank Kitts on a Tues? I keep meaning to get myself down there but tiredness after work blah blah have never actually got there, but am resolved to make more effort!

Thanks all!