Forums > Technical Discussion > Moonblaze Fire Poi Specshey have a lot of life left but I want a

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Ok so I have had my Cathedral wicks for some time now, they have a lot of life left but I want some bigger fire poi. I don't want Isis because I feel like they may be a bit to much for what I am looking for. So I have decided Moonblaze may be the best option for me. They seem very sturdy and good but I not sure about the details on ordering these things. I have never used Fire Mecca before so its a lil confusing with all the custom options. I know I don't want any handles but I want some of this nice 2mm chain I hear about all the time to go with these. Also I am not sure what size I should get. A medium or a large. So anyone that has purchased from Fire Mecca or has ordered some Moonblaze themselves, I would appreciate some advice. Thanks grin

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
moonblaze are good but now your used to fire I'd recommend moving on to rope knot wicks and start making your own heads, easy to do and half the price. get a couple of I- bolts & washers (90mm is good) HOP sells them.
Then get some Kevlar rope, if your looking for a nice set of poi without being insanely heavy or obscene amounts of fire i'd try using 10mm rope, cut 4 lengths of 1.4m (2 lengths per head) lay them across each other in an X shape and tie them in a circle stitch (easy knot, millions of tutorials on youtube), put the Ibolts through the centre of the knot using the washers to secure it between layers and you've got youself a kickass set of fireheads for $20-$30 depending where you get your kevlar. quick, easy and cheap smile
EDITED_BY: liquidtrance (1297254868)

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I have thought about this before, however have never taken the initiative (nor had the funds on hand) to get some rope and practice knots. I will need to look into that more to get a real idea on it, also because I have thought a bit about it and have no idea how to finish a stitch and what to do about extra rope.

Also am I thinking to highly of Moonblaze as "good" heads, as in not beginner. I have over 2 years under my belt but love the LED more then fire but need the upgrade now. I would think the large Moonblaze are good, but I can see your point of view on the financial side, which I really like the idea of. That will get me moving on this a lot faster then originally planned.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

336 posts

Posted:
finishing ain't a problem, you can cut off the excess cleanly with a hacksaw and coat the ends in white glue to prevent frying (HOP sells suitable stuff) the lengths i suggested and knot construction is REALLY simple to do, just make sure the knots are tight and the nuts on the bolt are secure smile

edit: just re-read your post, so to add more accuracy to my reply- moonblaze ARE good heads, good flame and burntime but expensive because of the manual labour of building them. As for practising knots, feel free to do practice but tbh the circle stitch is so simple the 1st time i did it i just did it directly with kevlar and made a set of fire heads
EDITED_BY: liquidtrance (1297254908)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Don't do the WALL stitch! Your poi will come out like a big brick that's 3 times as wide as it is thick. And that uses 3 lengths if I remember right, but you might be thinking of the Circle stitch.

What I would suggest for you is getting 43ft of 1/2"x1/8" flat wick from FireMecca and use the Tornodo Stitch. That amount of Kevlar should be just enough for a 4" eyebolt from HoP, if you're not sure, you can build it around a chain like this.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

336 posts

Posted:
crap sorry, just checked the knot name, ^agree with SOD, CIRCLE stitch i meant shocked
the size and amounts of kevlar rope i mentioned earlier still apply, that will produce a head about 7inches long with a big flame smile

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Are there any tutorials for folding moonblaze style heads? They are my favorite design. Bought a pair from Fire Mecca, and have a second set from a friend who folded them himself. Both are excellent and produce fantastic huge flames that keep burning and burning. They've had quite a bit of use and do not show any wear and tear.

So if you aren't going to make your own, the FireMecca moonblazes are definitely a good purchase.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Ok so I have a lot to look into lol. So another question, flat wick or rope wick, what is the general consensus.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Night CrawlerBRONZE Member
46 posts

Posted:
Im not sure if its ok to put it up on here, but here goes anyway and I'll take the telling off later.
Does anyone remomber scoobies/scooby Strings/Scoubidou/Bondoogle?
Im pretty sure most of the knots/stitches we use come from here and marine knot tying...
Anywhoo... I saw on one site that the moonblaze looks very similar to a basic circle stich.
There is a vid on youtube of a girl making one. Its not an instructional vid, but you kinda get the idea of whats going on and this looked very similar to the circle stitch.

'You can only be free when you have nothing to loose'

336 posts

Posted:
I prefer rope nowadays, good surface area for the size of the head so big flame, easy to gauge burntime and quite quick to make. Flat wick has it's uses certainly, a well built head will hold a lot of fuel and burn for ages but they take a while to build if your doing something complex, up to you. smile

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
After experimenting with some knots with a friend last night, I am really liking the idea of make some Kevlar rope fire poi. I have just enough scrap colecord to put 4 little pieces together with a zip tie and practice some stuff. I have watched a video or 2 in the past but never learned anything but I just went at it. I managed to learn 2 simple knots of some sort. I have yet to really research it but I'm sure it's a decent start for just messing around

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
As for rope v flat wick. I say it goes on how much money you want to spend too. Flat wick is definately cheaper cinsidering I can make an Isis size wick for about $30 compared to about $60 with rope to make Isis.
Moonblaze is exactly that, the circle stitch. I prefer using 1/2" wick to make other designs that have a significantly larger surface area compared to Moonblaze and you can make them very very tight pretty easily giving you very slightly less, I'd say pretty negligible, flame size and being tighter gives a significantly longer burntime. There are lots of designs with it you can do, and I mean A LOT.

Also designs with both rope and flat wick depending on what you do can be pretty labor intensive. Like Isis if you do it correctly is pretty labor intensive which is why they're so expensive online, which I also think is an amazing thing for the community Salza did by offering that masterpiece to the masses even at the high price.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
OK so I have officially been inspired. I will be making my own fire poi now grin I was looking at laneyards.com and saw the twisted pentagon stitch. I think that would make a good poi, opinions. And I'm still deciding rope vs, flat. I haven't checked prices yet though either. Also I'm thinking about building around a length of chain like in the link SoD posted. Opinions on that as well. I'm getting a decent tax return and making contact poi but if this isn't to expensive I may be able to get everything right away grin

Edit: k maybe eyebolt. I'm thinkin 5 inch long heads or so maybe a bit under dunno yet.
EDITED_BY: Smurf24029 (1297554252)

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
I don't suggest the pentagon stitch. I've tried one like that with 6 sides and it left a big hollow tube of emptiness down the middle. So for the love of god I don't suggest it because it could just waste every inch of kevlar you bought. I suggest the tornado stitch. I'm making one about 5-5.5" long and getting double loop handles for my old poi chains with my tax refund. They're going to be quite long and be more like my "flow" set I guess. My style changes drastically when I use single loop handles as opposed to double loop and ball handle which stays relatively the same. If you want to make it 4" long I highly suggest the eyebolts from HoP. And buy 43ft of Kevlar from FireMecca should be enough and a little bit extra for helping pulling that last layer tight.

Also if you wanted to make sure you could buy 50ft since I've never measured it, but theoretically it should use the same amount as my corkscrew poi design. Also if you do that and don't want to use the eyebolt just do it around the chain. Use proof coil chain for it. Try the kind from FireMecca if you want because I'm not sure how big their chain is so I'm curious. I have a bunch that someone gave me and it's really thick and took me forever to bend that end link into more of a circle. I had to use a wrench to kind of hammer it onto a big fat flathead screwdriver that I found in my house that was a perfect size.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1297571311)

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Damn, that's pretty lame. What about an extra kevlar core??? And hows the circle stitch?
EDITED_BY: Smurf24029 (1297572761)

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
The circle stitch is Moonblaze. It's really hard to do tightly, I can't do it for some reason. Someone told me you need a tool to do it, I'd imagine it would pull all ends at the same time. You could try a second person or some pliers to tighten the layer under the one you just made. It has a pretty good size flame. Good burn time if you can get it really tight. Not as much flame as tornado wicks and tornado are also a lot easier to get tight. I don't know why. Also Moonblaze by nature of using wider kevlar is a little more expensive.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
ok, so Tornado does seem like a good choice.Also why Fire Mecca Kevlar and not HoP, I see that FM has the .5" wide but why not get from HoP 1" for way cheaper and a discount on top of that?

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well You could fold the 1" thin kevlar. It won't be as heavy, it won't hold as much fuel. It'll be thinner (I'm not sure why but when I did it it turned out thinner). It will not be as durable, and I don't know how much it will take to get the desired length. It's not that much thinner really, but it's definitely noticeable. That's at least if you make it tight like it should be. And honestly, it's not that much less, like $5-$10 less for a pair of 4" heads worth of it. That is assuming they use the same amount of kevlar which I don't know the ratio. Also it's a HUGE pain in the ass to keep it folded. I've done it and I just don't like it. The one I made of this design was sold to someone else though not for me. If you use HoP's wick I would say make it around a chain since it's not sure how much you'll actually need.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Hmm, super thin and light you say?? strange, I wouldn't necessarily expect that but I can understand how it works.

Also I'm going to end up buying more kevlar then is necessary just to be safe. And I was thinking of using the 120mm eyebolt from HoP

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
It's not that much thinner diameter-wise. But it's noticeable. And the weight difference is partly because of it being thinner I think and part of it that the 1/2" wick is just plain more dense than the than folded wick. Also when you use an eyebolt for your head, you can shove a swivel into the eye of the eyebolt reducing the amount of hardware.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Haha got the idea of the swivel in the eyebolt ages ago from you lol. And was the 1"you were using 1/8th still, or did it thin out cuz it stretches more?

Also I am making progress and getting excited to do this.

Non-Https Image Link

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Haha that's badass. Also with they eyebolt, don't finish the stitch like that. It turns out ultra ugly. And when I did the 1" wide wick I used the 1/16" thin wick. That way when you fold it it comes out 1/8" thick. But it doesn't behave quite the same way as far is being compressed from the sides by the weave. What i suggest for finishing is:
1. Trust that it'll hold it's own.
2. Put some glue under the first layer at the ends (what I do when I make heads)
3. Sew the ends secure (what I might do for my own personal heads.

And then just cut it so the ends don't really show. ANd if you glue it wait until the glue dries just in case it loosens a little bit while it's drying. I don't think it would, but just in case.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Yeah I thought about the finishing part, I am getting a thing of glue and a full spool of kevlar thread so I'll be prepared to make it stay.

And yeah I wouldn't think that the folded Kevlar would work so well.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Don't worry, the glue will work just fine. I've had to undo a head partially after gluing it. I'll tell you right now, thsat censored's not coming undone laugh3 It was really hard to do with pliers so I'd say either one or the other would suffice to hold it.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I have n really worries about finishing the stitch. My only worries at this point are buying the right kevlar (I know I need half inch) I wanna buy From HoP super bad but they don't have what I need to Fire Mecca may be the way to go. I do want to get some of their chain to because I really have no Idea where I am going to get the right chain for these. HoP chain is over 6 freakin dollar a foot and not even 2mm chain. Its 2.4!!!!! But they have 2 options on FM and I would think I want the stainless steel but quicklinks won't fit is what the site ways. Should I custom order with swivel maybe.

Also I am chaining the Thread name because its no longer about buying moonblaze, I have gotten over those now that I know more.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
NOO The site lies! Quicklinks do fit! They never changed it when they switched their chain because they uses to have that awesome narrow 2mm chain apparently and some censoredtard decided to get rid of it. I've even emailed them that they should change that because it fits fine. And I agree HoP needs to sell the half inch Kevlar because I buy like everything else from here already

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
sweet that's good to hear. Is there a certain size quicklink you recommend for the fire mecca chain???

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
The one they sell or the ones from HoP will fit easily even between 2 links of the chain. Also I learned from someone else's head that I made, that on the eyebolt, it will compress down leaving extra room after being spun and burned over time. So make it really tight down if you can. Thankfully he doesn't give a censored, he loves his heads like babies which is great.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
right on, just need money now lol

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah it's like the cheapest head design ever!

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Seems efficient to. Also how do you cut your kevlar and prevent fraying?

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Page: